Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seamus Haji for Letterkenny

• 11-09-2008 5:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Milan niteclub in letterkenny have announced their kicking off the Winter season with Seamus Haji on October 11th

Other dates planned before Christmas include Euphoria, Gatecrasher, Hed kandi and the BIG One the Freemasons make their first appearance in Letterkenny this year also

info from milanniteclub@gmail.com

Comments

Freemasons? Seamus Haji? Gatecrasher?

Sounds like great reasons to stay well clear of Donegal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

a while ago i offended a culchie by saying that Dublin, Cork and Limerick, while being far from perfect, were somewhat up to date with the rest of the world when it comes to dance music. Which is more that can be said about the rural areas.

Oh well, looks like I was correct.

you may as well tell us that maniac 2000 will be played at the crossroads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

a while ago i offended a culchie by saying that Dublin, Cork and Limerick, while being far from perfect, were somewhat up to date with the rest of the world when it comes to dance music. Which is more that can be said about the rural areas.

Oh well, looks like I was correct.

you may as well tell us that maniac 2000 will be played at the crossroads.

There's shag all in South Kerry anyway, unless you like 'Destination Unknown' 5 times a night.

Though the benefit of living out in the sticks are the krusty raves and parties. Might not be up to date, but if you like reggae or psytrance or dub or drum n bass, that's where its at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Well lets start, maniac 2000 is a Dublin track. As ****e as it was in 2000, forced upon the people of Ireland by Dublin based media.

To knock the Freemasons says nothing for the state of play in Dublin, though I note no-one seems to back you on that.

the Freemasons are the most sought after remixers in the World, they had to turn down Madonna in June due to workload but have brought house and remixes to a whole new order.

Perhaps you do not know who they are, but remixes include work for Moby and all of the top RnB Artists in the world. They probably haven't played Dublin, most likely because Dublin have few clubs of the standard required in all aspects.

Dublin, outside of Tripod are you really telling me that Dublin has any club of note? Seriously?

Donegal is very influenced by BBC Radio 1, when Dublin has a station worthy of being on the same radio Dial, PM me, certainly light years behind the worst show on radio 1. You'll also find we had pioneers, led lighting and visuals in Donegal way before Dublin and most in Dublin still don't.

Gatecrasher, Euphoria, well everyone loves a bit of old school, There is a huge revival and even Deadmau5 is remixing older tracks. Ferry Corsten often appears with Gatecrasher, Check out their new notingham venue and compare with Dublin. Don't throw up Tripod as there are the equivilant of at least two in Letterkenny Population 18000) to match it.

Seamus Haji, well up there with the freemasons almost in terms of who looks to him to remix their tracks.

Now there is an underground scene that perhaps you rate far above its level, but underground is just that. And infact is much less than it ever was as all these guys who pilfer samples from software such as Reason and Ableton and suddenly think they are something.

Find a club in Dublin to match say Lush in Portrush, Milan or Voodoo in Letterkenny and you'll be doing well. You certainly are off yer head to even think Dublin is at the races, Letterkenny beats you hands down.

Its like the GAA scenario, just like the England Team, ye talk yourselves up all the time and win nothing.

See we may be culthies, but we're light years ahead of ye boys, just not near as arrogant or thick. its a pity you had to endure RTE for so long and not realise the world does not revolve around Dublin, most do not care to event tour there. Check out Ibiza guys, thats what you might find is a bit more at the centre of the clubbing world.

RANT OVER, POINT PROVED, CASE CLOSED.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Shouldn't this be in the clubbing forum anyway...

"Sought after remixer" does not necessarily equate to "good", in this case it most definitely doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

Well lets start, maniac 2000 is a Dublin track. As ****e as it was in 2000, forced upon the people of Ireland by Dublin based media.

Utter bollocks, and you know it, as though there was some Dublin ( and why do you make it sound pejorative by the way?) massive media conspiracy to force that ****e track on the country! Stop being so parochial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

a while ago i offended a culchie by saying that Dublin, Cork and Limerick, while being far from perfect, were somewhat up to date with the rest of the world when it comes to dance music

the last time dance music played in donegal was around 1994 just before the corrupt state framed Frank Shortt for drug dealing. ;)

music in letterkenny clubs are played for certain audience, the exact same as any...EVERY club in ireland.

what do you want to hear? ..how do you define "dance" music??
    Name a track please.

I've listened to every Irish radio station for years, and its ****ing irratating for some dub dj to come on talking about a "classic" - no good "dance" has come out of dublin yet, but you keep ranting on about how great it is.

Irish "dance" music is non-existant, maniac 2000 even when it came out was considered a joke in the north - nubile teens loved it though.

i'll play you some "dance" music..watch you freak out in the corner.

i can count on 1 one hand the amount of good producers that came from dublin..Mark Kavanagh isn't one of them.

Utter bollocks, and you know it, as though there was some Dublin ( and why do you make it sound pejorative by the way?) massive media conspiracy to force that ****e track on the country! Stop being so parochial

there might not be an effort by the media to force the track on the country, but it was terrible..if thats the best dublin has to offer, forget about it.

that track wasn't good then, and its even worse now.cheese factor 10+++

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

Martyr wrote: »
    there might not be an effort by the media to force the track on the country, but it was terrible..if thats the best dublin has to offer, forget about it.

that track wasn't good then, and its even worse now.cheese factor 10+++

Nobody is saying it's good. Regarding what Dublin has to offer I suggest you do a little more research, D1 records for a start....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

the last time dance music played in donegal was around 1994 just before the corrupt state framed Frank Shortt for drug dealing. ;)

music in letterkenny clubs are played for certain audience, the exact same as any...EVERY club in ireland.

what do you want to hear? ..how do you define "dance" music??
    Name a track please.

I've listened to every Irish radio station for years, and its ****ing irratating for some dub dj to come on talking about a "classic" - no good "dance" has come out of dublin yet, but you keep ranting on about how great it is.

Irish "dance" music is non-existant, maniac 2000 even when it came out was considered a joke in the north - nubile teens loved it though.

i'll play you some "dance" music..watch you freak out in the corner.

i can count on 1 one hand the amount of good producers that came from dublin..Mark Kavanagh isn't one of them.
    i think theres a few good dublin producers actually,
    totally random off the top of my head is one,kid handsome another:D

Nobody is saying it's good. Regarding what Dublin has to offer I suggest you do a little more research, D1 records for a start....

sorry, but i don't listen to "dance" music anymore.

i'm sure its good for a *certain* audience.

i think theres a few good dublin producers actually,
    totally random off the top of my head is one,kid handsome another

wow...1, out of dublin? - better than none, eh?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

sorry, but i don't listen to "dance" music anymore.
    Then why are you in the Dance music forum?

i'm not sayin music in donegal is good myself.personally i think Its ****e, but thats how the clubs manage it.

They don't want negative attention from the backward newspapers and so-called community councillors.

I know producers, (very good ones) who have had music played on MTV and are mixing (not talking about timmy+tommy), playing at outdoor events, but can't get heard in clubs around letterkenny because the management don't care.

Its all about getting the people in, spending their cash..they don't care about music..thats just the way it is

i have nothing against dublin, but some dubs think music is somehow better there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

wow...1, out of dublin? - better than none, eh?
    that was just off the top of my head.if you wanna include mr spring,timmy and tommy.i dont know where every irish producer resides but im sure theres a few spread across a number of genres.
    but hey you dont listen to dance music so i guess that would be an informed opinion from you:D right?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

i'm not sayin music in donegal is good myself.personally i think Its ****e, but thats how the clubs manage it.

Its all about getting the people in, spending their cash..they don't care about music..thats just the way it is

i have nothing against dublin, but some dubs think music is somehow better there..
    You've answered your own question there mate

Then why are you in the Dance music forum?

i can see you're offended by comments.
    My point is that dublin isn't the centre of music, ok?

dance music was being played all over ireland years ago.
    Carl Cox played in the "middle of no-where" town of raphoe back in 1995, but you didn't hear any of dublin media talking about it.

Its only "dublin is hosting this.." .."dublin is hosting.." - so what?

you think those djs aren't playing anywhere they get paid?

that was just off the top of my head.if you wanna include mr spring,timmy and tommy.i dont know where every irish producer resides but im sure theres a few spread across a number of genres.
    but hey you dont listen to dance music so i guess that would be an informed opinion from you right?

i don't even like their music, but thats what they do..can't fault them for that.

and i do listen to dance music, although its just more inventive than whats around today..or atleast whats popular.

You've answered your own question there mate

no, i've made my point.

i'm sick listening to dublin people talking about how great music or clubs are there..i mean ffs, what do you expect with half-million people?

i play music only a few thousand (probably only few hundred) in your city would listen to, and its not because its bad..its just ahead of its time ;)

you think i'd get a gig in donegal? thats a ****in dream.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

i play music only a few thousand (probably only few hundred) in your city would listen to, and its not because its bad..its just ahead of its time ;)

you think i'd get a gig in donegal? thats a ****in dream.

What do you play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

They don't want negative attention from the backward newspapers and so-called community councillors.

So your saying that every dj in letterkenny plays **** music ? Your totally wrong man. Well in milan ya do get the commercial **** played on the main dance floor but go up stairs on a wednesday or sat night in milan and theres some nice tunes being played by paul mc daid. He plays Electronic/Electro House stuff and it is sweet. Then you have tony watters in voodoo on a friday night playing House/Electro/Progrsv House and theres always some big dj playing in voodoo every couple of weeks. Theres a new clubnight starting this friday in sister sarahs red rooms The Low Slung Disco Club Including Electro, Rock, Indie, House and Techno and i cant wait for that night:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

You may be missing my point, though not arguing against most.

Maniac 2000 is Dublin produced and recorded track, someone pointed to the playing of it at the crossroads.

It was a total Dublin Vs the rest of the country statement and calling the rest of the country Culties serves to prove the point.

I am categorically stating that Dublin has one club of note, not near say lush in Portrush for example which is in a hugely smaller population area.

For someone in Dublin to rant and rave about the scene in Donegal or Northern Ireland is laughable, Dublin it was stated was up with the rest of the world, yeah the third world maybe and certainly nowhere near the dizzy hights that Northern ireland or Donegal are at.

I have no doubt that the producer mentioned is good, but he's certainly not recognised in the industry as the freemasons or Seamus Haji are, infact Mark McCabe like or loath him has had more success Both the aforementioned are at the head of their game and people in Dublin knocking them or Ulster Clubs certainly show a bit of ignorance.

For the record, Timmy and Tommy are from Letterkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Find a club in Dublin to match say Lush in Portrush...

Impossible, clearly.
    ...Milan or Voodoo in Letterkenny

Despite what you said, Tripod does. Has Voodoo managed to deal with the sticky carpets and cloakroom queues that cross the entire dance floor yet? Dublin also has the Academy (ex Spirit), Vaults, Tivoli, Button Factory (ex TBMC) and PoD on top of this.

Lush doesn't just serve Portrush but Derry City and even Belfast and beyond - theres even large quantities of Southern reg cars and buses in its expansive car parks on big name nights.

I'm from Donegal and I go back up any time theres a DJ I want to see playing there. However, to claim that the scene is better than in Dublin is laughable just due to sheer volume.

I'm still quite interested to hear what this music is... throw up a few samples we might learn a thing or two

Advertisement