Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls do you have a sneaky snoop?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

A very large majority of my female friends admit to having a snoop in their significant others house when they're not looking,.. pictures, old letters etc. This is not out of suspicion but sheer nosiness or boredom.

Do you succumb to such tactics? Do you reckon most do? and what are your opinions on those who do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Would never dream of it , cause i wouldnt like it done to me, so i wouldnt do it to others. I'd actually be really pissed off if i found out someone did this to my stuff!

What do i think of other that do it ? am not much , just wouldnt leave them in my house on there own;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Nope, never...why would someone do this???

Serious breech of trust/privacy...why would you go snooping at someones cc bills...or letters...none of my business!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This is not out of suspicion but sheer nosiness or boredom.

That made me laugh out loud. Get real. "I'm sorry I shot him judge, I was bored"

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Ah would go way outta that I've had a snoop before out of complete boredom nothing more and no it's not quite comparable with murder. Did feel really bad about it hence this discussion with female friends and it seems girls do this. I know my sister's nickname at home was ferretina as she was always ferreting around in our stuff, out of nosiness not any other malevolant force.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

A very large majority of my female friends admit to having a snoop in their significant others house when they're not looking,.. pictures, old letters etc. This is not out of suspicion but sheer nosiness or boredom.

At the end of the day, thats not nosiness or boredom its distrust.

Never in a million years would I go rooting around someones house, its an invasion of privacy and I'd be sick if I thought someone had done it to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Ah would go way outta that I've had a snoop before out of complete boredom nothing more and no it's not quite comparable with murder. Did feel really bad about it hence this discussion with female friends and it seems girls do this. I know my sister's nickname at home was ferretina as she was always ferreting around in our stuff, out of nosiness not any other malevolant force

So I guess you'd be kudos with your boyfriend going through your phone, your private stuff, your diary. I mean nothing wrong with that at all.

Great friends you have btw encouraging this behaviour.

Nope not distrust at all and I know I'm not alone in that. FYI it's not my standard practice and I would be peeved too if someone went riffling through my stuff but it does happen and he who has not sinned... I'm trying to establish whether it is a largely female character trait is all.

Everyone can be nosy some times. I found a mate of mine leafing through an old photo album of mine I had on the bottom shelf of a bookcase before and trust me considering the guy is a mate and gay there was nothing behind it other than pure unadulterated curiosity.

SetantaL wrote: »
    So I guess you'd be kudos with your boyfriend going through your phone, your private stuff, your diary. I mean nothing wrong with that at all.

Great friends you have btw encouraging this behaviour.

Posted before I saw your response. No there would not be kudos for anyone I found doing this and no I am not encouraging it in friends. Obviously it is not the right thing to do but do we all do the right thing all the time and are all transgressions equally deplorable? I am admitting I have done it and saying I have friends who have done it repeatedly and pondering whether it is mostly a female foible or sin, whatever way you see it.

Hope the air is rarified up there on moral mountain.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I live with my SO so its a pretty moot point, Ive never checked his phone and rarely open his post unless I know its the esb bill. In other peoples houses, no I dont rifle through their bathroom cabinet or check under their sink. :) Checking someones CD collection would be the extent of my snooping. If I want to look through photos, Ill ask. Im no angel, but it just feels wrong to go poking in other peoples stuff. Imagine if they caught you, or if you caught someone doing it to you. Youd feel horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Have to say I wouldn't do it to anyone. After rooting through my parents wardrobe and finding certain christmas presents in there years ago I vowed to never snoop like that again, I think it would be something that could easily get out of control, first it's a drawer, then it's a wardrobe, then its the boxes above the wardrobe, then phone :eek:

So no, I'd never do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say it's mostly a female thing. I have known guys to do it but not nearly as much. Pretty much all of the women I know with the exception of two have done that with boyfriends.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd say it's mostly a female thing. I have known guys to do it but not nearly as much. Pretty much all of the women I know with the exception of two have done that with boyfriends.

Who do you be hanging out with :D

When I'm in someones house, male or female friends I will always look at book/cd/dvd collections and whatever photos are on display, but that would be the extent of it.

I'd be afraid what I'd find if it went any further than that tbh. Ignorance can be bliss.

Wibbs maybe we're hanging out in the same circles so....

Personally I do think most women have or will at some stage but just won't admit it. The inner window twitcher in us all or something... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I'm trying to establish whether it is a largely female character trait is all.

If that is the case i suggest you stop asking a very small subsection of a very small subsection that will be in no way representative of the female population as a whole.

No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I would never snoop, i wouldn't like it done to me. I had a guy rifle thru my kitchen cupboards before and it pissed me off big time. On the whole, i hate nosey people. I also dont like when men poke at my wardrobe; yes I'm aware that I have too many clothes!

I am always fascinated by the books/cds/dvds that people have on their shelves tho, and also whats in their bathroom, but that's the cosmetics junkie in me tbh!

Dragan wrote: »
    If that is the case i suggest you stop asking a very small subsection of a very small subsection that will be in no way representative of the female population as a whole.

No?

I am to understand therefore that a question regarding the general characteristics of any given group should not be asked unless it can be asked of the entire group. In that case how would surveys ever be conducted. Clearly this is not scientific research and my findings if you were to call them that at a stretch will not be published in some journal. If one was to abide by your staunch methodology this very forum and indeed other such fora would be completely defunct unless there was a 100% response to every question posed which would be virtually inpossible.

I had a question regarding what I suspected to be a female characteristic. I addressed this to those reading what I deemed to be the appropriate forum on boards.ie; the ladies lounge. If my question does not comply with your own chosen methods for a vox pop then conduct your own or simply ignore it.

myself and a mate of mine do it with a friend of ours

the 3 of us are real close but this one lie's about goings on with certain men in her life and we occasionally read her texts to get the truth
    we are all honest enough to each other but she probably like's to feel superior to us about certain stuff we would omit to each other
    whatever, we know the real truth ...the filthy attention whore that she is:D

My ex was really nosey, he would disappear and bring back things from my housemates room when I wasn't looking.
    That is preety much the ultimate bad in my little book of wrongdoing.

Somebody used to take advantage of him, and this would mean that things we wanted to do would get canceled.
    He used to lie badly to me about the reason why, so I used to check his phone for messages from this person.
    But I used to do it in front of him.

I have never riffled through anyones stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I would've always considered the bookshelf and cd collection to be of public interest. If someone is left alone in my sitting room I would have no problem with the selecting a book or photo album from the bookcase for perusal. Thats why I put them there! If they were private stuff I would keep them elsewhere.

I'll have to be careful in other people's houses from now on because I just always assumed everyone else felt the same about books and cds etc.

As for poking around drawers/wardrobes/cabinets it's something that has never really crossed my mind in other people's houses. I'm more likely to be thinking "For the love of God Drift make sure you keep yourself and your cup of tea away from that expensive looking rug!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Why would you do that??? Personal belongings, are just that! Personal! I wouldn't violate someones trust/privacy like that.

I was on the recieving end of it once, and it was not nice. They did not like what they found, and tried to confront me about it. They were out of my house less than 30 seconds later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

fits wrote: »
    When I'm in someones house, male or female friends I will always look at book/cd/dvd collections and whatever photos are on display, but that would be the extent of it.

I'd be afraid what I'd find if it went any further than that tbh. Ignorance can be bliss.

+1.

I once found something I never wanted to have seen in my parents bedside locker - traumatised me to this day :eek:. The lesson was learned at a young age, don't go looking because chances are you won't like what you see.

Stuff out on shelves is fair game though, like having a look at what books people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

Drift wrote: »
    I would've always considered the bookshelf and cd collection to be of public interest. If someone is left alone in my sitting room I would have no problem with the selecting a book or photo album from the bookcase for perusal. Thats why I put them there! If they were private stuff I would keep them elsewhere.

I'll have to be careful in other people's houses from now on because I just always assumed everyone else felt the same about books and cds etc.

As for poking around drawers/wardrobes/cabinets it's something that has never really crossed my mind in other people's houses. I'm more likely to be thinking "For the love of God Drift make sure you keep yourself and your cup of tea away from that expensive looking rug!"

yup.. thats me too .. if its in an openly public place.. I assume its public..
    Not the way everyone looks at it .. went out with a girl once , who totally balled me out of it , for picking up a book on the coffee table.. didnt stop her going though my phone, or going into my bedroom.
    Personally I keep my private and confidential stuff in a private and confidential place.. , and if someone stuck their nose in there, then they are crossing the line..

"My ex was really nosey, he would disappear and bring back things from my housemates room when I wasn't looking."

this is way out of order..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don't go through people's things, but I'm not a very nosey person. I mean, I know a lot of my boyfriend's passwords (email, facebook etc) cos he sometimes has to go down the country to work and doesn't have internet access so he asks me to check his emails or whatever for him and let him know if there's anything important... I'd never do it unless he asked me to though. And I'd never rummage through his things or check his phone messages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭suzi-suz

i had a snoop in my neighbours house not so long ago,( she was on hols and i was collecting the post ) anyway i found a letter and to my horror it was adoption papers for her only daughter.

so i have decided and i think its a good idea to stop snooping in other peoples houses as you never know what you may find.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If something's out in the open- on a table/bookcase/shelf then it's fair game.

If it's in a drawer, wardrobe or cupboard, that's a no-go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Hope the air is rarified up there on moral mountain.

QFT! I swear to god people always respond the way they *wish* they would react when issues like this come up on boards, not the way they actually do.

Anyway, yes I've snooped. I haven't since I was a teenager and I doubt I'd do it again, but it is there in my past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Do you succumb to such tactics? Do you reckon most do? and what are your opinions on those who do?
    Blatant lie. You wouldn't do this to a friend or family member, would you?
    myself and a mate of mine do it with a friend of ours

the 3 of us are real close but this one lie's about goings on with certain men in her life and we occasionally read her texts to get the truth
    we are all honest enough to each other but she probably like's to feel superior to us about certain stuff we would omit to each other
    whatever, we know the real truth ...the filthy attention whore that she is:D
    Who needs enemies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Okay, okay, I admit. I used to do it. And rather thoroughly In particular around November/December of the years leading up to my what? 12th? 13th? year on this planet. The victims? MY PARENTS!!. :o (Un?)Fortunately, I never found much.

My excuse: my older brother put me up to it. We even did it together. I think our parents knew. Years later we learned that they left sensible stuff at work/neighbours/relatives because they had caught my brother once before I was old enough to be influenced in such bad ways.

PS Do you think it would have helped if my parents had told me that a man with a white beard and red clothes actually kept the stuff I was looking for until the time was right for me to get them? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Totally a no no!! I've spent most of my college life living with some of my best friends and while we had a pretty open door policy we would always ask if running into someones room etc.
    Had a housemate last year who wouldn't have been as close to us and it became a major issue as she was changing/dressing in our bedrooms when we were out and got caught out for reading someones phone. Its not just boredom or nosiness, its plain rude and a complete invasion of privacy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I only go snooping for his dirthy washing; it could be anywhere! Found it in the drawers with his clean clothes last time... whatever next :D

Advertisement