Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asgard 2 is sinking.

• 11-09-2008 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in the Military Forum as this ship is maintained by the defense forces. Apparently it is floundering off the French coast, everyone accounted for. It would be a pity to loose this boat, I used to see it regularly docked in Dunlaoghaire harbour.

I hope its covered and can be replaced. I was never on it but two members of my family were, As a training vessle It was a great service to stste and give members of the public a chance to "learn the ropes" http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0911/asgard.html

AsgardIIIrishShip.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Onion11

She was a majestic beauty. I treasure the memories of working on board and watching the Dolphins following us, and being in the middle of the ocean late at night, surrounded by nothing be sea and stars.

Such a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I have fond memories of sailing her in the Tall Ships Race (I think it was 1995!!).

She was great fun to sail on and a wonderful experience for all of us lucky enough to get a berth.

Hopefully something can be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tareisoir

Video taken by French Coastguard of her and liferafts last night is at http://www.premar-atlantique.gouv.fr/galeries/Asgard-2/NAUFRAGE_GOELETTE_ASGARD_SITE_PREMAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Such a loss.
    I've been on it 3 times-sailed from france and around Ireland and have always thought I'd go back on her some day. Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what a shame...they said on radio just now that it has sunk.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Its so sad to hear about the sinking of the Asgard today. I've saild on her twice and they were probly the best times of my life.

Does anybody know what permanent crew were on board? I know the captain was Colm Newport..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Sailed on her for the Tall Ships Race this year and it was one of the best experiences of life. Never in a million years did I think this would happen 5 weeks later :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cmb

such a disaster she's gone. other permanent crew were Fin and Kevin O Leary. Rowan was on our trip in september but left after first part of Tall ships Race. no permanent engineer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, they went through a suspicious amount of engineers. Sounds like the seacocks were left open! Who was the bosun at the time? Was Newport the skipper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, they went through a suspicious amount of engineers. Sounds like the seacocks were left open! Who was the bosun at the time? Was Newport the skipper?

Yeh, the job does require alot of time and effort though, alot of engineers dunno what they are getting into, while captains and the like do! Newport was skipper, dont know about bosun. Why do you say the seacocks were left open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

It's like a loss to out family, for as long as I can remember, one member or another of my family has been on board that ship. My uncle was captain for years on that green beauty. She really was the symbol of Irish Tall Ships along side the Jeanie Johnson. I have never served on the Asguard, but often popped in for lunch on board when my uncle served on her. It was seen almost as a right of passage for the boys to serve on her. A piece of our history truly has been lost to us.

timmywex wrote: »
    Why do you say the seacocks were left open?

I didn't. I said it sounds like the seacocks were left open. What else could it be in weather like that? Regarding the engineers, sounds dodgy to me that they couldn't hold on to one for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Aww man real shame eh?

Was on that boat for a 8 day tour around the Irish Sea about 10 or so years ago.. Amazing experience... Do hope they build a replacement.

Doubt it. Insurance won't cover a rebuild, most of it is irreplaceable anyway. You could say she was priceless. Someone might salvage her, doubtful though, I'd say she is in a bad way now. Anyway if they do drop a diver with a buoy they will probably lay a claim on her.

I believe there are three investigations going on now, one by some French maritime board, one by an Irish one and one by Alliance, the insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Only catching up with this now as I was in the UK for the weekend, I can't believe this has happened to such a beautiful ship, my sister was secretary for here for years and I was on the boat loads of times, I wonder if there's any chance of salvaging her?:(

Advertisement