Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of an era.

Options
  • 11-09-2008 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I see Diageo are announcing the new site for Guinness this morning, sad to see St. James Gate close after 250 years, don't take any notice of the spindoctoring that there're putting huge investment into updating the brewing facilities of what's left of the St James gate site, expect to see it being wound down after a few years.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks like they are going back to Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Aye, said on the news this morning they were looking at a site in Leixlip?

Hopefully they don't completely build over the old site in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I think you guys missed the full story on the news, what I heard was that the new site was going to employ 170 people and produce solely for the exprort market, while James's gate would stay open and produce for the domestic market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    I think you guys missed the full story on the news, what I heard was that the new site was going to employ 170 people and produce solely for the exprort market, while James's gate would stay open and produce for the domestic market
    Did they also mention 400 people are being laid off in the Diageo breweries in Dundalk, Kilkenny and St. james gate, as I say, don't believe the spindoctoring.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i heard they are turning James Gate into apartments

Arent rumours great :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I heard Guinness is a actually made from 1000's of crushed beetles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

The day Guinness isn't brewed in James Gate is the day that I switch to a non Diageo brand! Fight the power! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Kernel wrote: »
    The day Guinness isn't brewed in James Gate is the day that I switch to a non Diageo brand! Fight the power! :mad:

Sure it's originally from Leixlip, they're just going home.

I'd imagine they'll keep the visitor centre and sky bar in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0911/diageo.html

There ya go lads, now stop making up rumours (as fun as it is) and p!ssing people off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If I'd a euro for every time I heard James Gate was closing down over the past 30 years, I'd be at least €30 up at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Only part of it is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I was just about to reply to op but yeah SJG is not going anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I thought it was moving to balbrigan and they were keeping the sky bar/store house tourist bit in operation.

I used to work in a taxi company on James street and you could nearly chew the air with the smell of hops that came from Guinnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

My great grand mother used to live up that direction also. The smell always brings back memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I heard Diageo aren't even an Irish company :eek:
    /sarcasm

Advertisement