Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Magnet Broadband Service?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I'm on the BT 24Mbs package and getting a rubbish service in Dublin 8. I just wondered if Magnet customers are going through what a lot of us are with speed, disconnects, streaming problems etc. I'm thinking of the 'ordinary' 23Mbs service which is available in these parts.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm guessing that either nobody much has the Magnet 24Mbs or it's about as reliable as all the others :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Magnets 24mb service was literally launched two days ago, so it is probably going to be a few weeks before we hear reviews of it.

BTW your line sync speed should be the same on both services, as they both use ADSL2+ tech and the same rotten Eircom phone line.

However there may still be differences, as the BT service might be suffering from congestion and inadequate backhaul, which could be different for Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'm in the same boat. Well, a much slower boat.

Have a (supposed) 3 meg BT line off the Adelaide Road exchange. It used to top out at just above 1 meg download but it's recently being appalling with the same issues everyone else is having.

Called Magnet yesterday and it turns out they now do service our apartment complex, Harcourt Green. They didn't when we moved in two years ago. They confirmed that other apartments in our development had Magnet.

Now, it's more expensive than BT. But then again, I'd pay an extra ten quid for a half decent service than paying what we are paying for muck.

But I'm worried that the crap speeds may have more to do with crap copper connecting us to a decrepit exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

The thing is I was getting 20Mbs and over when I got upgraded to 24Mbs first, so I know the line can take it. It was fine for a couple of weeks. Then all the upgrades to the various other services started and it gone to Hell. The problem is I've no real idea why this is happening and I'd hate to change and find that Magnet have the same issues.

I hadn't realised that this was only made available the other day.

Advertisement