Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking at buying a Peugeot any advice appreciated....

Options
  • 11-09-2008 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello ... Looking at buying a Peugeot 106 5 dr petrol 1.1 (1998) 89000 miles. what should I be aware of or look for when I check it over??? It has a current NCT just recently done. Does anyone have one of these cars and has and advice to give on what to watch out for? or are there any known common issues with this kind of car make year and model? Thanks ever so much!!:confused::):D:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

What's Bad

5th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express 2002 survey.

19th from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power / What Car? Customer Satisfaction Survey

High 7 out of 9 point death rate from accidents in 1991 - 1996 models.

14th from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey.

Came 19th from bottom in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 75.1%, though most of 106s surveyed must have been 2002 or late reg.

Check spare wheel is in its underboot cradle and not nicked.

Check for front suspension wear.

Oil leaks.

Needs frequent timing belt changes.

Check seat sliding mechanism as very prone to failure. Report of chafing of wiring for seatbelt pretensioners and airbag by the seat mechanism.

Tip from Richard Turber about improving Saxo 1.0 and 1.1 brakes: "The brake servo has an pedal adjuster rod under a rubber cover which needed taking up a few turns, this noticeably improved the braking immediately. The rear brakes were still only just holding on a moderate incline and when I stripped them again after 1000 miles they had worn the adjusters smooth, thus no permanent take up on the handbrake. So I bought the cheapest linings I could find which came with separate, but much more robust looking, adjuster cams. I replaced the Citroen adjusters but kept the linings on, and bingo; excellent."

Further warning about rear drum brakes is that the linings are merely stuck to the shoes, can come unstuck and can seize the entire rear drum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

Mr.David wrote: »
    What's Bad

5th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express 2002 survey.

19th from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power / What Car? Customer Satisfaction Survey

High 7 out of 9 point death rate from accidents in 1991 - 1996 models.

14th from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey.

Came 19th from bottom in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 75.1%, though most of 106s surveyed must have been 2002 or late reg.

Check spare wheel is in its underboot cradle and not nicked.

Check for front suspension wear.

Oil leaks.

Needs frequent timing belt changes.

Check seat sliding mechanism as very prone to failure. Report of chafing of wiring for seatbelt pretensioners and airbag by the seat mechanism.

Tip from Richard Turber about improving Saxo 1.0 and 1.1 brakes: "The brake servo has an pedal adjuster rod under a rubber cover which needed taking up a few turns, this noticeably improved the braking immediately. The rear brakes were still only just holding on a moderate incline and when I stripped them again after 1000 miles they had worn the adjusters smooth, thus no permanent take up on the handbrake. So I bought the cheapest linings I could find which came with separate, but much more robust looking, adjuster cams. I replaced the Citroen adjusters but kept the linings on, and bingo; excellent."

Further warning about rear drum brakes is that the linings are merely stuck to the shoes, can come unstuck and can seize the entire rear drum.

Jaysus is that about it then?????

Well its not exactly bulletproof! That said, there is always a list of things to look out for for a specific car, reliable or unreliable. If you found one in good condition you could well enjoy trouble free motoring. But it is still important to realise that statistically it is not a reliable car and therefore your changes of ending up with a bucket is higher than with an alternative car.

yeah think I will give it a miss!!

Whats your budget and what are you looking for in a man eh I mean car, what are you looking for in a car?:D

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »
    Whats your budget and what are you looking for in a man eh I mean car, what are you looking for in a car?:D

Well something that goes I used to have a FIAT brava and I am not an expert at all but ANYTHING EVEN A BLEEDIN HORSE would be more reliable than that heap of tin. No real budget was thinking maybe 1200 - 1500euro only need it to last a year there abouts. ummm preferrably 5 door hatchback nothing too fancy..

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

Well thats no so bad I am not that tall and I dont have big feet!!! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The 205 was the last of the 'good' Peugeot's IMO. Although they're getting on it years now, it maybe worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Well something that goes I used to have a FIAT brava and I am not an expert at all but ANYTHING EVEN A BLEEDIN HORSE would be more reliable than that heap of tin. No real budget was thinking maybe 1200 - 1500euro only need it to last a year there abouts. ummm preferrably 5 door hatchback nothing too fancy..

That's a prime example of what Mr David is talking about. Your Brava was a bad one, but plenty of people have Brava's that are fine. 106 is the same, mostly fine, but there are the bad examples out there.
    Find out what goes in them and look for those things when buying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

In a Fiesta, get the 1.25 engine, here's one for €1450. The Clio is better than some of the larger Renaults, I've had 2 with no problems. Here's a Polo within your budget. I'm not a big fan of the Japanese hatches, but folks swear by the Civic.

The Fiesta looks good from Zube's bunch, only obvious downside is the lack of SH. All in all though a Fiesta would be a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness the 106 is probably one of the more trouble free Peugeot of that time.

Hard to pass the Fiesta 1.25 litre on that budget though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The 205 was the last of the 'good' Peugeot's IMO. Although they're getting on it years now, it maybe worth a look.

I used to drive a 205 between 105 000 - 205 000km and changed parts list was massive,

nice car to drive but always something broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 THE_NIK

Hello ... Looking at buying a Peugeot 106 5 dr petrol 1.1 (1998) 89000 miles. what should I be aware of or look for when I check it over??? It has a current NCT just recently done. Does anyone have one of these cars and has and advice to give on what to watch out for? or are there any known common issues with this kind of car make year and model? Thanks ever so much!!:confused::):D:cool:

watch out for electrics normaly problematic and gearbox is pritty soft also engine probably leaking oil but it is common try to knock off afew quid for that reson. cv joint are prone to ware(knocking noise at full lock or fast cornering).if it has airbags the warning light is probably on. did the same thing a few years ago and regreted it. look at jap cars if you are going down that year and price range had a pug and pumped money into it it was never right. after bought an older (97) mazda 323 put 40k hard miles on it in 1 year. it never let me down serviced past correct interviles and genraly drove the bag off it and only cost me 100 to get it right for the nct brilliant new found respect for mazda 323's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

poegeot, bad bad car, all the french cars as a general rule are rubish.
    cant go to wrong with a jap or german. that fiesta sounds like a good buy. one of the best cars you can buy is a petrol focus, the only problem they had was the coil pack, but you would fix that for about €100.

Advertisement