Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humanji's Questions...

• 11-09-2008 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Since I'm a bit slow, and also didn't want to be starting hundreds of threads or taking others threads off-topic, I thought I'd do what I did in the LOTRO forum and start a thread for my questions (and there'll be a lot of them).

So...

What's the story with the Scenarios? I found a couple of NPC's who gave me a scenario quest and I'm told I cna do it solo or in a party and that I'm queued in it. So what the hell does that mean? Do they have to wait for the right amount of people to join, or am I meant to do something first? When it says I can do it solo or in a group, does this mean I simply join the area on my own or in a group, or does it mean that if I go solo I'd be in an instance on my own?

With regards to levelling, I've only had time to try the Bright Wizard at the moment, but am I right in saying there isn't really a lot of skills to get per level? The bright wizard only seems ot be able to buy one skill per level, which is grand, I was just hoping there'd be more skills to blow myself up with.

With regards the Public Quests, does anyone know how the scores are calculated? Is it the damage you do, or the enemies you kill? And does your level effect it? I keep coming last, even though I feel like I'm whooping a$$. It's destroying my self-esteem. :(

For grouping, I was wondering if there was any sort of ettiquette to follow? I've seen in some areas that on the side of the screen a list of "open groups" appears with the number of people in them. Are these just for anyone to join in, or is that just going to piss people off it I start bumbling my way into their groups? And how do I join these groups? PM, one of them?

What's the story with the Tiers? I started reading about them on one site, but everyone seems to assume you already know what they are and for some reason people insist on describing things in MMO's in initials. Seriously, it was about half an hour before I realised I wasn't being insulted when someone told me to buff my AOE!!! So, anyway, with Tiers, do you have to complete quests to open up new Tiers, or is it a level/rank thing? OR are they all open anyway?

That's all I can think of right now. But, by god, there'll be more!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

humanji wrote: »
    Since I'm a bit slow, and also didn't want to be starting hundreds of threads or taking others threads off-topic, I thought I'd do what I did in the LOTRO forum and start a thread for my questions (and there'll be a lot of them).

So...

What's the story with the Scenarios? I found a couple of NPC's who gave me a scenario quest and I'm told I cna do it solo or in a party and that I'm queued in it. So what the hell does that mean? Do they have to wait for the right amount of people to join, or am I meant to do something first? When it says I can do it solo or in a group, does this mean I simply join the area on my own or in a group, or does it mean that if I go solo I'd be in an instance on my own?

With regards to levelling, I've only had time to try the Bright Wizard at the moment, but am I right in saying there isn't really a lot of skills to get per level? The bright wizard only seems ot be able to buy one skill per level, which is grand, I was just hoping there'd be more skills to blow myself up with.

With regards the Public Quests, does anyone know how the scores are calculated? Is it the damage you do, or the enemies you kill? And does your level effect it? I keep coming last, even though I feel like I'm whooping a$$. It's destroying my self-esteem. :(

For grouping, I was wondering if there was any sort of ettiquette to follow? I've seen in some areas that on the side of the screen a list of "open groups" appears with the number of people in them. Are these just for anyone to join in, or is that just going to piss people off it I start bumbling my way into their groups? And how do I join these groups? PM, one of them?

What's the story with the Tiers? I started reading about them on one site, but everyone seems to assume you already know what they are and for some reason people insist on describing things in MMO's in initials. Seriously, it was about half an hour before I realised I wasn't being insulted when someone told me to buff my AOE!!! So, anyway, with Tiers, do you have to complete quests to open up new Tiers, or is it a level/rank thing? OR are they all open anyway?

That's all I can think of right now. But, by god, there'll be more!

Scenarios need a minimum number to start. A party leader can join the scenario queue and add his group as well to the queue. If you go so you'll be auto added to a scenario party.

It's pretty much 1 skill/tactic per level, though matery point can also purchase skills on their tree.

Contribution is any damage/healing done during the PQ. You get less inf for being a higher level than the PQ is targeted for, and none at all past a certain point.

Open groups are open to anyone to join, click the group button on the upper left and select the join button for the desired group.

Tiers are tier 1: 1 - 11, tier 2: 12 to 22, tier 3: 23 to 34, tier 4: 35 to 40. (off the top of my head, they're probably off a bit). Tiers mostly apply to RvR and the chickening rule. Tiers don't need to be unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

So...

I've run a few of these, still not sure how exactly the queue works but for some reason I get in a hell of a lot faster if I join solo and you can join one of the groups when you actually get in there. I think it waits for a certain number of people and as long as its an even amount (not sure if rank comes into it) it runs it. If you go solo it just means you join on your own but you immediately slotted into a group with any other solo people or into a group with spaces.

Just hit level 10 myself on a magus char, some levels gave me multiple skills I could buy others only gave me one.

I'm not too sure how the system works, but I know there is an added random element in the end run, but obviously if your #1 in the group after the PQ you'll have a better chance at getting the top loot.

Open groups are pretty much everyone in kind of thing, they are open for that specific reason.

From what i've seen the tiers seem pretty open, although there are a lot of high level npcs lying in wait in certain areas and low levels get smashed pretty quickly, there is always the wing master (its called something else) that can transport you to other tiers and other areas such as the Greenskins/Dwarfs tiers and the Elves one too. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

R0ot wrote: »
    From what i've seen the tiers seem pretty open, although there are a lot of high level npcs lying in wait in certain areas and low levels get smashed pretty quickly, there is always the wing master (its called something else) that can transport you to other tiers and other areas such as the Greenskins/Dwarfs tiers and the Elves one too. :D

There's a rank limit on what tiers you can fly to, you can't fly to tiers higher than your characters current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Spear wrote: »
    There's a rank limit on what tiers you can fly to, you can't fly to tiers higher than your characters current.

Yet I can fly to tier 4. :pac:

R0ot wrote: »
    Yet I can fly to tier 4. :pac:

You mean the capital city? Or into the likes of Praag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Thanks for the answers guys. A couple more:

With scenarios, are you told when they're ready to start? Like does a message come up on the screen, or does an icon flash?

Oh, and importantly, what day does the beta finish, does anyone know?

edit: and one more, does anyone know of any good sites that I could use for background material? Just to get the story of the game world. I know the Tome of Knowledge has some infor, but I'm slow at unlocking everything in it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I think the beta is finished this Sunday? Not even 100% on that one lol

The scenario icon lights up once you join the queue.
    When the game is ready, a window pops up showing the WAR log and a countdown timer to "auto-cancel". Then theres 3 buttons with "yes I'm ready" "give me a minute"
    "cancel and leave queue"

I think the second option means to enter a new queue and skip that scenario. Havent tried it though.

KoKane wrote: »

When the game is ready, a window pops up showing the WAR log and a countdown timer to "auto-cancel". Then theres 3 buttons with "yes I'm ready" "give me a minute"
    "cancel and leave queue"

I think the second option means to enter a new queue and skip that scenario. Havent tried it though.

Beta ends Saturday, live retail begins Sunday for CE owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

edit: and one more, does anyone know of any good sites that I could use for background material? Just to get the story of the game world. I know the Tome of Knowledge has some infor, but I'm slow at unlocking everything in it. :D

I think the war-europe site has some background tucked away.

If you're looking for general warhammer stuff, there are probably hundreds of sites out there, but they're likely to concentrate mostly on a single army / race.

Given I've been playing GW games for over 20 years though, I can probably take a stab at answering any question you have.

KoKane wrote: »

"cancel and leave queue"

Is the icon red by any chance? I clicked it (the icon beside you map, btw) last night and a little map of the scenario area appeared. Can't remember what I clicked, but I had that menu with read/wait/feck off on it. So would that mean the scenario had already started and I could just pop in? I didn't check as I was just about to log off.
    I think the war-europe site has some background tucked away.

If you're looking for general warhammer stuff, there are probably hundreds of sites out there, but they're likely to concentrate mostly on a single army / race.

Given I've been playing GW games for over 20 years though, I can probably take a stab at answering any question you have.

I'm trying to keep away from GOA stuff at the moment, but I might try the US site. :D I used to play Warhammer a fair bit but not for a few years now. I was mainly wondering about the recent history of the world just before the game. Just to get a little background on what's going on and the people involved.

For example, one of the things in LOTRO was meeting the various characters like Gandolf etc which made you feel more involved, as opposed to not knowing anything about the world and not caring about anyone you meet...if that makes sense... :D

• Advertisement

For example, one of the things in LOTRO was meeting the various characters like Gandolf etc which made you feel more involved, as opposed to not knowing anything about the world and not caring about anyone you meet...if that makes sense... :D

There are named characters, such as Gotrek and Felix in Altdorf once the cities levelled up a few times.

Ok, this might sounds like a stupid question, but cities level up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

i was thinking the same thing humanji :P

toxick wrote: »
    i was thinking the same thing humanji :P

Idiot! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

:( no fair... you didnt know ether :P

Ok, this might sounds like a stupid question, but cities level up?

Performing actions such as the PQ's, quests and dungeons in the capital contributes to the city's level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I'm trying to keep away from GOA stuff at the moment, but I might try the US site. :D I used to play Warhammer a fair bit but not for a few years now. I was mainly wondering about the recent history of the world just before the game. Just to get a little background on what's going on and the people involved.

Apparently they've made the decision not to set it at a particular point in the 'official' Warhammer timeline. This allows them to monkey with the background a little.

The basic plot is its a scheme from the Dark Elfs Witch King. He wants to rule the island home of the High Elves, but his invasions so far haven't had much luck. If he can get a bunch of their troops sent off somewhere, he has a better shot though.

His spies learn that a new warleader has arisen amongst the Chaos hordes, and is prep'ing for an invasion of the Empire (as Chaos tends to do). Normally the Empire would call on the Dwarfs for help. He reckons if the Dwarfs are busy though, the Empire will call on the Elves instead, and the Elves, not wanting to see Chaos doing its thang, will send help.

So, he sends his spies out, kidnaps an ork warboss and goblin shaman, tools them up, and 'advises' them to unite the Orks and go stomp the stunties. The greenskins don't need much in the way of encouragement for this, and cue the Dwarf / Greenskin conflict.

The Chaos warleader then kicks his party off, the Empire asks for help, the elves send over a bunch of military advisors, the Witch King sees his plan working out and invades the High Elf homeland.

I think that about sums up the background to the game.

Cool. So all I have to do is find all the players who play Dark Elves and kill them in the real world, and I'd win the game. Simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Cool. So all I have to do is find all the players who play Dark Elves and kill them in the real world, and I'd win the game. Simple!

Didnt quite work for this guy

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/01/31/man-charged-with-beating-fellow-mmorpg-player-to-death

Well at least he got into the spirit of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

lol, im going to hell.

Does anybody know where you get potions, other than from completing some quests? I've checked all the merchants I've found so far and none of them sell anything of use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Does anybody know where you get potions, other than from completing some quests? I've checked all the merchants I've found so far and none of them sell anything of use to me.

Apothecary profession I guess, not sure if any vendors sell any potions. They also drop from mobs.

Advertisement