Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rombouts my coffee moment

• 11-09-2008 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Has anyone tried rombouts new filter coffee (my coffee moment). Its as easy as making instant(which i hate) but tastes good. Really handy for home/office cos all you need is a kettle!

This is what I have been looking for for ages. No mess, consistent, convenient, tasty and effective. Also, it is nice and mild, making my own espresso was too hard on stomach (and nervous system:rolleyes:).

Any opinions?

Cheers,

Donal.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's a far cry from espresso is it not? It's more of a filter type coffee. I tried something like it a while back, wasn't too impressed if I recall correctly. Would rather my aeropress and a little mess.

I had the french press out last night, it may be the coffee I used but it can't seem to touch the aeropress in terms of body and depth of flavour. I'll try the same coffee in the aeropress tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

*makes note* buy aeropress

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Hi magnolia,

just saw aeropress on youtube.

Same problem for me, work + mess.

I guess my question is this:

Is there any comparable product out there to rombouts that has same quality?

I think I saw that Roberts are trying similar thing now, but my experience with roberts coffee has not been good:rolleyes:

D.

moreau wrote: »

Is there any comparable product out there to rombouts that has same quality?

I don't know. M&S or Sainsbury's did/do a similar product I think. If this is the type of product you want to use for your coffee then my advice would be to try the different brands and see which one you prefer.

If you want the best filter coffee possible buy a aeropress, french-press or a similar brewing method and some fresh beans & a grinder. It's more hassle and more of a mess but certainly worth it in my opinion.

@ RE*AC*TOR, the aeropress is so good I would happily put the Cafetiere and the pour-over in the back of the press and forget about them. The coffee from these is 'thin' in comparison.

Ah now - the FP can make a great cup. In fact when I had your aero it depended on the coffee which was better. But an aeropress and a hand grinder might do wonders for work.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Ah now - the FP can make a great cup. In fact when I had your aero it depended on the coffee which was better. But an aeropress and a hand grinder might do wonders for work.

I know, I remember reading that. I reckon you were doing something wrong with the aeropress though :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I tried the M&S version, I reckon the contents of my drip tray would taste better. ;)

OP, get an Aeropress from hasbean.co.uk. They take seconds to clean up
    after use and are pretty much indestructable (unlike a French press).
    I'd be surprised if you still preferred the rombouts after using an Aeropress
    with fresh coffee.

On a serious note, were you using an espresso grind for the aeropress with both coffees?

no - not quite an espresso grind. probably more a moka grind - which i think is the ideal - quite a bit of grunting in the pushing still.

Tell me about it, thought I popped an eyeball earlier. The whole lot is going to go flying across the kitchen one of these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I'm using espresso grind in mine at work (no way in hell I'm adjusting the MC2 for the aeropress) and I don't find it all that difficult to press down. Maybe ye're all weaklings ;)

TKK wrote: »
    I'm using espresso grind in mine at work (no way in hell I'm adjusting the MC2 for the aeropress)
    QFT, the thought of having to do it is enough.
    I don't find it all that difficult to press down. Maybe ye're all weaklings ;)

Seriously? I'm buckled trying to push mine down. How much coffee do you dose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 SoldOut

I'm pretty sure I read on the instructions that the harder you press down the more difficult it will be because the coffee compacts, you're supposed to let the air push the water through.

It also says it should take 10 seconds to compress the unit? I'll try a couple of variations later. Thanks for that info.

Simple physics - finer grind creates a more compact and dense bed - which is harder to push through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

QFT, the thought of having to do it is enough.

Seriously? I'm buckled trying to push mine down. How much coffee do you dose?
    I go for two scoops...though I really should experiment as I reckon that's too much given that I'm using espresso grind. I have an old "burr" grinder in the press that I might try to see if I can achieve good enough results without using so much.

I ain't the weakest specimen on the planet which helps too I guess...

TKK wrote: »
    I ain't the weakest specimen on the planet which helps too I guess...

I can bench-press an ocean :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 SoldOut

I timed myself there now and it took 26 seconds to get all the water through using the same grind I use for espresso at home, this was without using much force & letting the air do the work. I learned to do this the hard way after injuring my wrist trying to force it through :(

SoldOut wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read on the instructions that the harder you press down the more difficult it will be because the coffee compacts, you're supposed to let the air push the water through.

Genius. Worked a treat, thanks.
    no - not quite an espresso grind. probably more a moka grind - which i think is the ideal - quite a bit of grunting in the pushing still.

Finer grind means more surface area which leads to better a extraction though. If you do pick one up try the espresso grind. You're welcome to borrow mine again if you wish either.

Finer grind means more surface area which leads to better a extraction though.

Not necessarily a better extraction - more extraction yes - it also means it is easier to over-extract and get some of the unwanted flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Now's the time to buy an aeropress - they're on special at hasbean.co.uk for £18.37.

Advertisement