Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY tiling of bathrooms?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi there,

just hoping to get some advice. My husband is thinking of tiling the bathroom and ensuite himself. We got a few people out to give us quotes but they all seemed like crooks. One fella gave us a huge quote, arrived in an enormous new car and was telling us he was buying a lovely apartment abroad. So we didn't book him.

So is it possible for a non-tiler person to tile their bathroom? So far he has done excellent jobs in porch and behind the sink in the kitchen. But they were much smaller jobs and even they took a lot out of him, trying to cut tiles to size and so on.

Should he attempt to tile the bathrooms himself? Or should he steer clear as they are another kettle of fish entirely, taking into account plasterboard issues and so on? Has anyone does this and survived or did you regret every minute?

thanks for feedback... mica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

I found that this is the sort of thing that given preperation and time can be done if you're ok at DIY.

However, it's also the sort of job that can look awful (and that you'll have to look at everyday) if you rush it or do it poorly. The tiling itself is not difficult as long as you take your time, it's the cutting of odd shapes etc that's the difficult part and the part that the pros make look easy. That's why it can expensive to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I tiled my bathroom myself ( first time ever) and I must say...its perfect :D once he takes his time and has one of those handheld angle grinders, he should be fine. Tell me not to forget knee pads !!

Good luck to him

p.s I will never touch another tile :D:D, its back and knee breaking work if your not use to it, qoute around and get the prof's in to do it....it will save time and a fight between you's ha ha

I have a great / cheap tiler, PM me if you want details

Gaz

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

thanks folks. I just wanted to get a feel to see is he mad to even think about it or is it possible.

He seems quite determined to do it himself but you're right Gaz, I do want to avoid arguments brought on by stressed out by tiling hubby!

He did take his time doing the last bits and we have an ensuite to use while he's working on the main, so there is no pressure there. As it stands we can't use the bath at the moment as the water would run down and destroy the walls.

So it is possible but perhaps not preferable :D Well the last time we looked, the economy was in a different place. Maybe we should get a few more fresh quotes to see where we are at. I will PM you for that number Gaz, cheers! m

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

I've done a few bathrooms and floors now and if you have the time its worth while, however it can take a long time if he has other engagements.
    Some tips i'd share with you, Make sure the walls are flat, smaller tiles are easier to get right if the walls aren't straight. Ready made buckets of addesive are better than mixing and cleaning every time he does a bit. Use spacers, keep all the rows level and take your time, it will look smashing when its done, and he'll get all the praise!!

Cheers Caspar, some good tips there.

It's good to know he won't be wasting his time if he really does want to do them himself. We have a friend coming for Chrimbo so we would want to have one of them done by then. No other engagements really but getting to work and back does take a lot of time...like most people here depending on Transport 21 !

So small tiles and buckets of Adhesive... He is actually very good and if possible, will probably do a great job as he does take his time doing these jobs. But just afraid he would lose heart and get frustrated halfway through. But maybe not! And he would like the satisfaction of seeing his work at the end. The porch and kitchen look great after he did them. And there is all that money saved too. And sure what else is there to do in winter months...

cheers again, at least I feel he won't be attempting the impossible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Folks

I would encourage your other half to tile bathroom but to take his time and work out cuts and layout of tiles prior to applying any adhesive. If he has a 4 ft level check the walls are as flat and smooth as possible. Try to keep all rows straight and work a row with cuts and then start another row. Use spacers all the time and this will help to keep things square. Even though this is a DIY job you must not use DIY products. Buy a good brand and not some of the cheap warehouse brands available. I have often done repair jobs where the tiles are literally falling off the wall mainly down to product and a mix of inexperience. Are you tiling the walls from floor to ceiling and the floor ???

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

I always start by putting up 2x1 battons about six inches above the floor and level them, you should find that they meet perfectly. This will make the job quicker and look level which is the key to good tiling.
    When doing my own bathrooms i found that when i finished a wall i would grout it for two reasons, one you can see the finished effect(spur you on a bit) and two, your not left with a whole room to grout(pain in the arse) oh and make sure to clean off all the surplus grout its a nightmare to clean afterwards!

Best of luck:)

Hi there,

thanks for those tips, will post this link onto the other half so he can read those tips for himself. We will be planning to go from floor to ceiling and do the floor tiles too.

Builditwell, you say it's better not to buy cheap brands. Could you recommend a good brand that we could invest in? Please! Definitely don't want all this hard work falling down in six months time.

Casper, will take your points about grouting too. Good idea, on both counts! He will probably will need to see a finished wall to remind him why he started all this in the first place.

Cheers for all the tips so far folks, mica ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

You could consider buying an electric tile cutter. Costs about €60. It's fast and accurate. Calculate that you have a half tile under the ceiling as the top of the wall is unlikely to be dead straight. You can cut the tiles very accurately to leave a small gap for the grout at the top of the wall. Get some beading for overlapping shower trays to let the water run off.

If you get your tiles from a pro outlet ask the guy for tips.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi micamaca

I would recommend most of the bucket brands but in particular the BAL brand available from tilestyle. If you can get EVO tecnic brand in bucket form although im not sure its available. The Bal grouts are very good and mix really well with plenty of work time except for the floor this must be a 15-20 min max job so as not to overwork the grout. PM me for a list of alternatives

Regards
    Builditwell

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay in coming back, was out in unusually good weather in Ireland yesterday! A fine day it was too!

Some really good practical tips coming up here, thanks Heinrich and Builditwell. I will PM you for that list, that would be great.

Advertisement