Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overpriced & Underwhelming

Options
  • 11-09-2008 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Right. So what cars do you see and just think "wow what an idiot. why on earth did he spend all that money on that heap of sh*t". Basically expensive cars that you feel cannot justify their price tag.

I'll start the ball rolling with what could be a controversial one. The Bentley Conti GT, total bore of a car. What a waste of money.:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Any car over €5,000 IMO.

At the end of the day, it a heap of metal with 4 wheels that gets you from point A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Maybach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

M Class Merc, offensively expensive and rated by every journo as rubbish on and off road, why buy? :confused:

Note: not a shot at the 4x4 brigade (I have 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

New Avensis, will underwhelm everyone, not just those who buy it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Any car that starts with BM...! I have to laugh at anyone who drives a BM, especially the drivers of 01/02/03 BM's, with the "I'm driving a BM that is worth less than a second hand Micra", gimp on them as they look around them continually to see if anyone else notices that they are driving a BM, FFS! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Any car over €5,000 IMO.

At the end of the day, it a heap of metal with 4 wheels that gets you from point A to B.

+1. Also Range Rover jeeps driven by D18 loo-laa's with tinted windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

jaycen wrote: »
    M Class Merc,

4. Base model Audi A3s: buy a real Golf and save thousands

3. Merc CLC: pig in lipstick, and a very old pig too.

2. Dodge: they can't even sell these in the States anymore

but the winner is the:

1. Ssangyong Odious: You spent €40K on the ugliest car in the world, ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Q7, if you want a tank just buy a tank:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Oh I've another one....

Lexus SC430.

What an utter and completely unbelievable shi*box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

A Merc A160

What are they, like 30k new?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Easy to see the non-car nuts on this thread! 2 already - Darragh29 and Max_Damage!
    X3 and X5. What's the point? "Drives almost like a 5-series!". Why didn't you buy a 5 series then? That drives exactly like a 5 series!
    116i. It's an ugly rwd Golf, that's not fit to send itself round in a ring, so why spend 30k on one?
    Freelander. Why? Comfort = Discovery, off-road ability = defender. Freelander? Not as comfortable as the Discovery, and not even as good off road as it, let alone the Defender!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Any car that starts with BM...! I have to laugh at anyone who drives a BM, especially the drivers of 01/02/03 BM's, with the "I'm driving a BM that is worth less than a second hand Micra", gimp on them as they look around them continually to see if anyone else notices that they are driving a BM, FFS! :D:D:D

Jealousy will get you no where the ultimate driving experiencei dont currently own one but i did and i cant wait to get another;)

stretchaq wrote: »
    Jealousy will get you no where the ultimate driving experiencei dont currently own one but i did and i cant wait to get another;)

There is something intrinsically sad about a person who buys a BMW. There is something alarming about someone who buys a car that they cannot afford to maintain, and a look at most threads here looking for BMW maintenance advice will confirm that. A BMW for me epitomises the nation that we have become in recent years, up our own arses, pompous, rude, competitive, unrealistcally private, tinting windows so nobody can see us, have to have a BMW, etc...

There is something intrinsically sad about a person who buys a BMW. There is something alarming about someone who buys a car that they cannot afford to maintain, and a look at most threads here looking for BMW maintenance advice will confirm that. A BMW for me epitomises the nation that we have become in recent years, up our own arses, pompous, rude, competitive, unrealistcally private, tinting windows so nobody can see us, have to have a BMW, etc...

Dont you think its possible to want a BMW for the right reasons? Because its a very well setup, well made, comfortable and fast car? I personally would love an M3 CSL but cannot (yet!) afford one. Does that make me a c*ck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

In the real world there are people. Different people have different interests. Some look at football like it's the greatest thing ever. Others look at it and think "why look at grown men kick a bag of air around a field?".
    Some like cars. Some like them to look at, some like them because they're a status symbol. Some however, like cars because they're a means to satisify the driving hunger. Some cars tingle the senses with sound, induction or exhaust! Some cars feel razor sharp through a series of bends. Some like to catch the driver unaware and snap at them! Some are just comfortable and dull and give no feed back. Some hurt the kidneys with accelleration. People who like this kind of thing are called car nuts. Car nuts, or petrol heads, realise that there are many different cars for many different uses. The real petrol heads realise that nearly all car companies at one stage or another have had a good car in their line up.
    Some however just see a badge and make assumptions about the whole marque and the people who buy them. These people are like the people who think football is just a bag of air. "A car is just an A to B tool" they'll say. THey just don't get it! You are one of these people.
    BMW's might largely be bought by "keeping up with the Jones's" type people, but they have their jems in the flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I suppose anyone in the construction industry with a commerical 4x4. The market is flooded with them now that they are probably not needed as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Mr.David wrote: »
    Dont you think its possible to want a BMW for the right reasons?

I do, but I think that there's no question that many BMW drivers like them for all the wrong reasons. Of course, the same is true for Mercs, Porsches, Maseratis or Ferraris. The fact that so many w@nkers want to be seen in these cars is a reflection of the fact that they are good, and being put off owning a good car just because w@nkers like them is just the same sort of snobbery.

Zube wrote: »
    I do, but I think that there's no question that many BMW drivers like them for all the wrong reasons. Of course, the same is true for Mercs, Porsches, Maseratis or Ferraris. The fact that so many w@nkers want to be seen in these cars is a reflection of the fact that they are good, and being put off owning a good car just because w@nkers like them is just the same sort of snobbery.

agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

maybe if bmw fitted indicators on there cars we might be more willing to accept them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

i just have to state BMW are the finest car on the road there is a massive amount stereotyping on the thread here ive had 3 BMWs one an E36 M3 which was my pride and joy but drove to many miles a week (1k) so had to but a diesel and went for an A4 because i dont like BMW diesels but my god there petrol the M3 im droolling someone pass me a bib the M3 is what driving is supposed to be about CLASS REFINEMENT AND GUT WRENCHINGLY FAST everything you want in car to in the words of that geard keane twat

FECK THE BEGRUDGERS

• Advertisement

audismelly wrote: »
    maybe if bmw fitted indicators on there cars we might be more willing to accept them:D

Arent Audi drivers supposed to have taken over the mantle of C*ck drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you absolutely sure this opinion has nothing to do with the fact that you used to be, but are no longer, an approved BMW service agent?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Any car over €5,000 IMO.

Perhaps a motoring forum isn't for you then?
    Darragh29 wrote:
    "I'm driving a BM that is worth less than a second hand Micra"

Shìte - I could have gotten a micra for the same money? I wish someone had told me :(

Anan1 wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure this opinion has nothing to do with the fact that you used to be, but are no longer, an approved BMW service agent?:D:D:D

Haha, I was never an authorised dealer and never will be! Not for BM Trouble You or any other brand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

gotta put out a comment about spending less than 5000. While i dont think you have to break the bank to get a good car, i do believe that given the state of Irish roads, the carnage on the roads, you owe it to yourself to get a car that is packed with the latest in safety equipment and technology. That does not mean you have to spend 20 or 30 k + on a car new. But spending money on a few year old BMW is a wise investment IMHO. You get a very well put together car, with ahead of its time safety equipment and design.
    The sensible man/woman would buy a few year old BM.

Back on thread... my vote goes to the brera. I admit to myself.. i ahve wanted one, and would love to have one as they are heart stoppingly gorgeous.. prob the most beautiful car sub 100k IMHO, but being honest about it, they do not have the driving dynamics of its peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

A tad bit harsh maybe on the BMW drivers? But in a small way I agree. In fairness there are alot driving around in 01/02/03 318i's who think they are the sh!t driving a BMW. I guess I can't fault their cars they are amazing machines I just hate BMW drivers who brag just because they have a BMW.

Oh and one day I hope to drive a nice BMW - I love them, just not half the twits that own them.

Mercedes A class - any of them.
    Mercedes B Class - any of them.
    BMW 1 series - Horrible looking cars and for the price :rolleyes:
    BMW X6 - Common', who's going to buy it.
    ( I can't think of anymore right now, I know there are loads! )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Have to agree that this is a strange comment on a motoring forum - Are you saying that there is no difference between say a Micra and a Lambo? They both have 4 wheeled heaps of metal. What about the joy of driving...?

And as for the others BMW bashing - give it a rest. We all know your thoughts, you dont have to infect yet another thread with this sh1te. I drive a BMW so obviously I dont know where the indicator stalk is, I cut everyone up on the road, I never let someone out trying to join a queue of traffic. Oh yeah I also have my front and rear fog lights on all the time. Its okay, I'm allowed cos I drive a BM. Seriously get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Any car over €5,000 IMO.

So you'd have no problem driving a Tiida then? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

any SUV like Audi Q7, Hummer H2 etc, not included Jeeps tough (the brand, not just any 4x4)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

Here we go more anti BMW ranting, why cant you just get over it and stop having a go at people just because they own a BMW its becoming a bit boring now....

Advertisement