Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overpriced & Underwhelming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

stretchaq wrote: »
    Jealousy will get you no where the ultimate driving experiencei dont currently own one but i did and i cant wait to get another;)
    Indeedy! The reason I've been happy with my 320D for the past three years (and for the next two hopefully!) is that I'm getting on average 50 MPG. This really makes a difference when you're driving over 500 miles a week. It's solid. It's safe. It's reliable. It's not a Fiat and it's not French.

These kind of debates really show us up for the nation of tetchy little begrudgers we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Veyron

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It's not a Fiat and it's not French

Thats just a great argument good to see you put a lot of thought into it and are not just feeding into folklore:rolleyes:

Any 1.6 Audi A4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

steve06 wrote: »
    Veyron

Takes the term overpriced to a new level

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/681540.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The ironic thing is that I'm a big petrol head, always have been, but saying that, I'd never pay any more than €5,000 for an everyday car.

A classic car however, especially a classic American muscle car, would be the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Indeedy! The reason I've been happy with my 320D for the past three years (and for the next two hopefully!) is that I'm getting on average 50 MPG. This really makes a difference when you're driving over 500 miles a week. It's solid. It's safe. It's reliable. It's not a Fiat and it's not French.

These kind of debates really show us up for the nation of tetchy little begrudgers we are.

Sweet Moses. The rest of us were doing so well with defending the BMW option until this post.
    Unless you meant it as a prime example of the majority of BMW's. If that is the case then you forgot to add "and it's got the right badge".

steve06 wrote: »
    Veyron

The thread is for overpriced AND underwhelming! The Veyron would hardly disappoint! If you're underwhelmed by a Veyron, then me thinks there's no car for you, off to Nasa you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Biro wrote: »
    If you're underwhelmed by a Veyron, then me thinks there's no car for you, off to Nasa you go!

I'd suspect this would be more fun than a Veyron :D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Any car over €5,000 IMO.

At the end of the day, it a heap of metal with 4 wheels that gets you from point A to B.

first off, get out of motors please.

secondly, no car is a waste of money unless the same car with same specs, mileage etc can be had for lesser money.
    People buy what they like and what suits them etc.

and I'd say half the people here who are calling the cars overpriced and underwhelming probably can't bloody afford them anyway.

I'd suspect this would be more fun than a Veyron :D:

You could always tune up a Veyron too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Any entry-level, bog spec "premium" car... A BMW 316 / Audi A4 1.6 with cloth seats and plastic wheel trims... whats the point :confused: What a waste of cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I wouldn't say that I begrudge a BMW driver or any driver. I know in my garage, I might have had 15-20 folks with BMW's who came in for servicing/maintenance work. I can recall only two of these BMW customers that I can honestly say I was happy to do business with. I said this before and I don't want to hijack this thread, but at the same time I would like to belie the notion that anyone who does not see the importance of owning a BMW is simply a begrudger. In my humble opinion, BMW parts cost more, servicing them costs more, maintaining them costs more, they are not designed to be easily worked on by a mechanic, like for instance most Japanese cars would be, which leads to higher labour costs. Unfortunately I've found, with the rare exception, that most BMW drivers simply cannot get their heads around the fact that althought you can buy a BMW for cheap, you can rarely have work done on a BMW on the cheap, for the above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Darragh29 wrote: »
    A I have to laugh at anyone who drives a BM, :D:D:D

For such a begrudging cnut you must spend your day laughing your hole off, cos there are alot of BMW's out there.

Back OT - The Porsche Cayenne gets my vote for stupidly expensive & underwhelming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

ned78 wrote: »
    So you'd have no problem driving a Tiida then? ;)

lol, i just read the tread and was about to suggest Tiida but u got it before me.:pac:

Victor_M wrote: »
    For such a begrudging cnut you must spend your day laughing your hole off, cos there are alot of BMW's out there.

Back OT - The Porsche Cayenne gets my vote for stupidly expensive & underwhelming

Yeah, I really get a great laugh out it. Reported for abuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

oh come on in fairness grow up:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I love the fantastic relevant and informed debate on this board.

so to sum up what this thread will end up with the same tired old rhetoric.
    • BMWs
    • Alphas
    • Porches
    • Mx5
    • A Class
    • C lass
    • That merc super mini thing
    • Smart cars
    Are all driven by .........

Great wonderfull now can we get a reason other than the driver?

I was underwhelmed by passat TDI. It felt very wheezy to me but then again im not a big fan of diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

stretchaq wrote: »
    oh come on in fairness grow up:confused:
    He was called a cúnt. Would you like if I called you one?

My call is for a BMW X6. When I think of all the great things you could get and run for that money it saddens me.
    I was underwhelmed by passat TDI. It felt very wheezy to me but then again im not a big fan of diesels.
    Try the 130bhp and hold onto your face!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Victor_M slapped on the wrist ...warning given

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any car over €5,000 IMO.

At the end of the day, it a heap of metal with 4 wheels that gets you from point A to B.

How does that work? There are no new cars forunder €5k (or anywhere near it) where do €5k cars come from if no one spent over that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

He was called a cúnt. Would you like if I called you one?QUOTE]

deservedly id say after his earlier comments you would have to be intrinically sad to buy a BMW

personally im old enough and wise enough to look past a fly off the tounge 4 letter word, its a forum not a place for ignorant actions and comments such as above i know way aprove of the profanites but think if you make statements like that your asking for it

as regards the passat i have the 130bhp audi A4 i wouldnt say hold onto your face i find its 4th and 5th gear fairly tame

Try the 130bhp and hold onto your face!

:D

Way to build up a nothing event!

I'll tell you what, you try and keep your begrudging views on topic, ie this thread is about cars not their drivers. If you are that sensitive don't make inflammatory remarks in the first place.

I'll tell you what, you try and keep your begrudging views on topic, ie this thread is about cars not their drivers. If you are that sensitive don't make inflammatory remarks in the first place.

Behind every ridiciously priced car in this country is a purchaser. Without people who are prepared to spend stupid money keeping up with the Jones's, we wouldn't have any "overpriced and underwhelming" cars and we wouldn't be having a discussion about those cars here, would we? Let's face it, those cars didn't buy themselves now, did they!?!

I said it before here, I've no problem with people who want to buy expensive cars, my only problem is with people who buy cars that they can't afford and then think they can get them fixed for nothing when there is a problem. This is most likely to happen with an overpriced and underwhelming car like a BMW.

There is nothing begrudging or off topic about any of this. Buy an overpriced and underwhelming car if you want to, just make sure you can afford it, and more importantly, that you can afford to have it maintained when things start going wrong, simple! People who buy an Aston Martin, Ferrari, Masareti, they don't have to worry about the costs of running those type of cars because they are high net worth individuals, not so with the majority, (I accept not everyone is the same, there might be a few decent BMW drivers out there), of people who drive BMW's.

Behind every ridiciously priced car in this country is a purchaser. Without people who are prepared to spend stupid money keeping up with the Jones's, we wouldn't have any "overpriced and underwhelming" cars and we wouldn't be having a discussion about those cars here, would we? Let's face it, those cars didn't buy themselves now, did they!?!

I said it before here, I've no problem with people who want to buy expensive cars, my only problem is with people who buy cars that they can't afford and then think they can get them fixed for nothing when there is a problem. This is most likely to happen with an overpriced and underwhelming car like a BMW.

There is nothing begrudging or off topic about any of this. Buy an overpriced and underwhelming car if you want to, just make sure you can afford it, and more importantly, that you can afford to have it maintained when things start going wrong, simple! People who buy an Aston Martin, Ferrari, Masareti, they don't have to worry about the costs of running those type of cars because they are high net worth individuals, not so with the majority, (I accept not everyone is the same, there might be a few decent BMW drivers out there), of people who drive BMW's.

Thread title - cars that are overpriced and underwhelming

Your contribution - Sweeping statements about the drivers of cars that you have very little experience of (as you admitted yourself earlier 15-20 customers)

If you can't see how you have dragged this thread way off topic ther's not much I can do about it.

In a effort to prevent Darragh from derailing this thread completely;

I think the RR Khans are another colossal waste of cash, 10 - 30 K on cosmetic only changes to an already expensive SUV, to make it look like something from a gangsta rap video.

Thread title - cars that are overpriced and underwhelming

Your contribution - Sweeping statements about the drivers of cars that you have very little experience of (as you admitted yourself earlier 15-20 customers)

If you can't see how you have dragged this thread way off topic ther's not much I can do about it.

In a effort to prevent Darragh from derailing this thread completely;

I think the RR Khans are another colossal waste of cash, 10 - 30 K on cosmetic only changes to an already expensive SUV, to make it look like something from a gangsta rap video.

15-20 customers with a particular make & model of vehicle is normal for a reasonably sized indy garage. My posts are on topic, deal with it and move on with the discussion instead of trolling me here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

enough now of that spat ...back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Audi A3 and Porsche Cayenne get my vote.
    Any 4 cylinder petrol Beemer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

actually...........you're all wrong. No big, fast, exorbitant, exclusive nutcase - or any other, new, is a waste of money.

Why, I hear you say?

Simple, because if they didn't buy them.........nobody else (us)...could ever get our hands on our used one.........really, some people have absolutely no vision.........

oh, and MaxDamage.........as soon as any of the mfrs in your sig start chucking out new cars for 5k, you be sure and let us know, o.k. ? ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

BMW X3 - no, not simply because its a BMW. I Just fail to see the point. Its not that big, has limited ground clearance, and I just can't see the point.

BMW X6 - only seen two of these so far, and each was sufficiently hideous for me to question the owners sanity in such a purchase. It looks like a 5 series estate on stilts with something heavy having squished the rear.

Any Ssangyong - why oh why would anyone buy one? Ghastly looking monstrosities.

Advertisement