Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First a three-speed fixed hub, now this....

Options
  • 11-09-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Days ago Sturmey Archer announced the impending production of a three speed fixed gear hub.

Now SRAM have come up with this

As far as I'm concerned, it seems pointless trying to improve a fixed wheel bike. The whole point is that its light, simple and reliable. If it ain't broke why fix it? (no pun intended, honestly) Why make it more complicated?

However, I can see how this would appeal to some of the current crop of fixie newbies.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tut tut. Those noobs. They don't know what's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Itsfixed wrote: »
    If it ain't broke why fix it? (no pun intended, honestly) Why make it more complicated?

However, I can see how this would appeal to some of the current crop of fixie newbies.

Thoughts?

Horses for courses I guess. Yeah, part of the appeal of fixed is the simplicity, but this will appeal to more than newbies. Most enthusiasts like to ride more than one type of bike, and any technical developments will attract curiosity (look at all the fuss over the electronic Dura Ace gizmology:D).

Anyway, as with every development in cycling, I'm all for it if it gets more people on a bike. And if it works as well as intended, who knows? I might even buy one!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Itsfixed wrote: »
    Days ago Sturmey Archer announced the impending production of a three speed fixed gear hub.

Now SRAM have come up with this

As far as I'm concerned, it seems pointless trying to improve a fixed wheel bike. The whole point is that its light, simple and reliable. If it ain't broke why fix it? (no pun intended, honestly) Why make it more complicated?

Thoughts?

it is broke, bikes are infinitely more useful with gearing. fixies are the moped equivalent of the bike world. the riders think they are 'cool', everyone else has the opposite opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

copacetic wrote: »
    it is broke, bikes are infinitely more useful with gearing. fixies are the moped equivalent of the bike world. the riders think they are 'cool', everyone else has the opposite opinion!

Infinitely? What else are you doing on your bike? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I always thought having like a thumb lever that could act like a clutch would be handy sometimes.. This setup could easily be adapted to work like that!

I don't think it's ever really gonna be a sustained product, I think ten years down the road, forums will be full of people looking for parts/replacements for these..

Nice idea though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement