Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact thermostat

Options
  • 11-09-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a imit BRC pipe thermostat to be installed to give out power when the pipe reaches a certain temp, I has a dial on the front with different heat settings but has me baffled how it works. It has three wired contacts marked one to three with one being the common live and two being open circuit at rasied temp and three closed when temp is reached.

I need it to give out power at about 50 degrees so it will turn on a pump, and switch off when it goes below 50 degrees. I've tryed it but cant seem to get it to work on the open or closed circuit, maybe i'm doing something wrong?

Any help would be great?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Normally these things have two contacts, one normally closed (so there is a circuit between live and output if the temperature is below the set point) and one normally open (a circuit made when the set point is reached). Going by your description line 2 is the normally closed switch and line 3 is the normally open. That means that until your pipe has reached 50 C the line 2 switch will be made. At 50 C line 2 switch opens and line 3 closes.

If you are going to use it to switch something on at 50 C then you only need to connect line 1 to a power supply and line 3 to the pump or whatever. Line 2 should be disconnected or it will become live when the heating is off. You also need to be sure that the stat is of sufficient rating to handle the load, since some of them are only really intended to operate a relay, in a boiler for example. Whether to one you mention is of the latter type I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

hello art,

Messed about with it and it will switch over but not the way i intend for it to work. Here is a link to it but in not in english(sorry)
    http://www.calor.ro/download/CARTI%20TEHNICE/IMIT/IMIT%20BRC.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Cheers Art,

Contact three done the job:):):)

Advertisement