Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get good ground coffee for espresso?

• 11-09-2008 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an alternative to spending a fortune in Tesco or Superquinn :)

My preferred brand is Illy ground coffee, works perfectly in the Gaggia Classic and the only other brand that ever produced good results in this machine was the New York coffee.

I don't mind ordering online, I used to get my coffee in Lux for 5 euro a tin and I just don't want to be robbed by the supermarkets if there is an alternative.

I tried a bunch of different espresso coffees like Lavazza, Segafredo etc and the best I can get out of them in my Gaggia is a brown muck. Also tried beans for grinding but my neighbours won't appreciate me doing that. I have an antique Zassenhaus wall-mounted grinder, and well, in an Irish wood-and-plaster house the whole neighbourhood can hear me grinding the coffee so I've stopped :)

Anyone know of a good place for getting Illy or similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I doubt you'll ge anything cheaper than the supermarket versions but you could get fresher. There's a sticky on the main page listing online vendors, you could try there to start. Once you grind coffee it looses it's freshnes rapidly, the best bet would be to save the shillings and pick up a decent grinder though it will still be a little noisey you'll have a far superior coffee to what you're getting now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'll assume the wall mounted grinder is bothering your neighbours because it's wall mounted.

Get a decent electronic grinder for the love of god. You really are wasting your time with preground coffee on an espresso machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I ended up ordering a 12-pack of Illy from coffeeitalia.ie
    I believe they're UK based in spite of the .ie domain and prices in euros.

It worked out at around 6 euro a tin, compared to 11 euro in BT. I don't know how much it costs in Tesco or Superquinn, but a year ago it was 8 euro a tin so I can't expect it's less.

This includes free UPS shipping, when (and if) it arrives I'll write a post here if it's worth including them in the sticky.

Advertisement