Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade eligibility

• 11-09-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain O2's upgrade policy?

Have been with O2 billpay for 13 months. Lowest bill was €65, highest bill was €130.

Was told I wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade 'in the foreseeable future' and that the main problem was that I had stayed within my price plan for most of the year.

Er,what?

So if I'd chosen a lower price plan, exceeded that while spending the same amount overall, I would be eligible for an upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Normally people get upgrades every 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

Quad red, That doesnt sound right. As far as I know with O2 that you can get an upgrade every 12 months but what the upgrade is worth depends on how long you are with o2 or how long it was since your last upgrade and secondly on the spend over that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Tazdedub wrote: »
    Quad red, That doesnt sound right. As far as I know with O2 that you can get an upgrade every 12 months but what the upgrade is worth depends on how long you are with o2 or how long it was since your last upgrade and secondly on the spend over that period.

afaik they changed it to 18 months a while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Cheers guys,

Just checked in a moment of greedy 'need more gadgety goodness' and was wondering about the lack of love from O2.

My contract is up now so I'm thinking of moving to Meteor anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Ring 02, ask for an upgrade, or your moving to Meteor, be nice and not a pig:) I must have the gift of the gab but I usually get upgrades for people ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

18 months gets you a silver upgrade, the upgrade spend for a gold was changed on monday, its gone from 700 in a 6-12 month period to 1800 , which to be brutally honest is insane, i cant remember off the top of my head what it is for a platinum it might be 2400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i'd say hold out for an upgrade untill oct/nov because there'll be newer and better phones availiable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

krudler wrote: »
    18 months gets you a silver upgrade, the upgrade spend for a gold was changed on monday, its gone from 700 in a 6-12 month period to 1800 , which to be brutally honest is insane, i cant remember off the top of my head what it is for a platinum it might be 2400

They changed the Silver qualification from Monday as well, as I just found out to-day:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

one day i rang to o2 and found i m not eligible for upgrade :eek: so i said then i better move to pay as you go and then come back to bill pay to get upgrade,
    then in few days i received a phone call from o2 do i want to upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Goosie wrote: »
    They changed the Silver qualification from Monday as well, as I just found out to-day:mad:.

yep, its now €1200

• Advertisement

yep, its now €1200
    Thats horrible, I'd take a clear sim and buy a ready to go phone, 1200!:eek::eek::eek:

yep, its now €1200

€1200 or 18 months
    or
    €1200 and 18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

ardmacha wrote: »
    €1200 or 18 months
    or
    €1200 and 18 months?

1200 and 18 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's a post on consumer issues about it too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

i dont think its 18 months, i think that as soon as you spend 1200 you get a silver. if it was both and word got out, there would be war!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭ongarite

Check this thread on "Consumer Issues" forum
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376702

I have lost my upgrade since the new guidelines on 8th Sept and will be now leaving O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

lost my silver upgrade too...not a happy bunny! Found out whilst in the shop, went in to get an E51, when your man said I wasnt eligible, I was like, WTF..I was a yesterday?
    Realising o2 are too interested in getting new customers and treating their current customers like crap (iphone only available to new connections online).

to be honest its not just o2, all the networks are after getting stricter on upgrades in the last month.....which leads to the question why? what do they know? whats on the horizon??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

(cue the outer limits theme)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its been changed again today, 3,500 spend for all upgrades, including silver....

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    its been changed again today, 3,500 spend for all upgrades, including silver....

I'm sorry....WHAT? source please? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

what the hell??? that's crazy........

Might this be a policy to get people off old tariffs as O2 Clear doesn't do upgrades? How does the purchases of handsets work? Speakeasy customers get free credit, surely a similar scheme is needed for Clear customers otherwise the Billpay people would be a serious disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think operators are going away from the stigma that bill pay is about high end phones for cheaper prices. Excluding if you're a big texter for all networks, bill pay is miles more competitive for calls, and that's what they are going to use to hook people.

Remember when we used to get all free credit up front?! Then it was phased and people complained. Then they got used to it, and they changed it to requiring a monthly top up, and people compained. Now they're used to it.

chrislad wrote: »
    and they changed it to requiring a monthly top up, and people compained. Now they're used to it.

not yet, the average joe soap assumes prepay phones come with "free" not "bonus" credit.

€3500 for ordinary jos soap/ I know why I haven't been on 02 for ... 6 Years and that I don't intend on going back again- plus the website is down again for maintainence- was looking for a GPRS price for a friend. Lets face it 02's going the right way of losing customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 imunhappy

was declined upgrade so demanded info on new scheme
    Diamond – you can get your upgrade from the 1st of October
    Platinum - from 1st of November
    Gold Approved less than 30days – from1st of January 2009.
    Silver Approved less than 30 days –from1st of January 2009.
    Gold Approved more than 30days – from1st of January 2009.
    Silver Approved more than 30 days –from1st of January 2009.
    I was also told that the upgrade system has been suspended for now with no exception. Gosh 02 value us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

There's also a row brewing on the o2 forums.

Upgrades are essentially suspended for the moment. Vodafone are also planning to introduce similar measures. Unless you have received a letter from o2 within the past 90 days outlining your eligibility for an upgrade, any upgrade, you have been eligble for is now more or less gone. If you have, call 1909, or call into your local dealer.

My advice is, that if you did receive a letter, claim your upgrade as soon as possible. For exeryone else, tough luck really. For Vodafone customers, if you're eligble now, go get the upgrade, because Vodafone are considering implementing similar measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

not yet, the average joe soap assumes prepay phones come with "free" not "bonus" credit.

I work with it every day. It's been the case for more than 12 months now. Believe me, people are used to it. I used to hear complaints. Now, people just say 'Okay. That's grand.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭ongarite

The way I see it now is that there is no such thing as customer, company loyalty anymore. Meteor, O2 & Vodafone are yanking or tightening the criteria for customers to upgrade and stay with that network.

The best option now IMO, is to switch provider every 18 months when contract expires and avail of that providers new customer offers, etc..

Advertisement