Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Supply Question??

Options
  • 11-09-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi I need a power supply that will turn on the pc as soon as the power cord is plugged in (without pressing the power on button).I have noticed some pc's do this and some dont. Is it the Motherboard, Power supply or settings in the bios that do this. I have tried 4 different power supplies in two different pcs and none of them turn on. Any one know about this feature???

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Could you not just take the power switch wire from the mb and short it ?

This is what you are doing when you press the power-on button.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that would power on the pc the minute you plug it in.

any reason why you need to do this. Would it not be safer on the pc to hit the power button ?

K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

If you cross the green wire coming from your PSU to the motherboard jack with any one of the black wires then your PSU will start without having to touch the power button. I have done it myself and it works, unforutnately the PC didn't as I think the mobo is fried. You can test it by using the paper clip trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Some pc's seem liek they power on when you plug them on but infact its just a psu test to spin the fans. This is uaually a bios option in dell's/lenovos etc etc. Its not exactally safe to do either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Maybe his/her power on button is broken. And needs a PSU that will start the computer as soon as its pluged in :)

If he looses a finger its not my fault ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

He can consider himself lucky if he only loses a finger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Restart on system power failure in the bios?

Locking thread as the outcome of this could be dangerous.

There is a reason your pc dosen't turn on by its self.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement