Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most painful thing you've ever done???

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Shut my hand in a safe door in work. It was one of those heavy concrete filled doors, I actually nearly passed out with the pain. By some miracle my hand didn't break, but was mighty swollen and bruised for weeks after.

Jumped into a swimming pool backwards and hit my chin off the side on the way down. Burst my chin open, nearly bit through my tongue and broke 4 teeth. That sucked!

Worst was going to the dentist at about 10yrs old, she was doing an extraction and gave me an injection of anesthetic, but didn't wait for it to kick in, just shoved the pliers into my mouth and started pulling. Halfway through, the pliers slipped and she pulled out the bad tooth, and the healthy tooth beside it. Blood pouring out of my mouth and I was totally hysterical! The anesthetic kicked in about 15 mins later :rolleyes: Needless to say, I'm terrified of dentists now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

When I was 8, I was taken to the dentist who decided that one of my milk teeth needed to be removed by force as it just wouldn't even become lose. I saw the pliers and kept my mouth shut. The dentist proceeded to tell me she was only going to see if the pliers fit in order to take the tooth out during my next visit. Innocent me believed it. Please note that there was no anesthetics involved whatsoever. Doesn't sound all that bad? Well, the clue was yet to come: the reason said tooth wouldn't come out by its own was that the new tooth was stuck to it. Hence, the pliers removed the milk tooth and also helped the new one out quite a bit. I was screaming the place down and my father told me he'd never been so ashamed of me for being such a whimp... :rolleyes:

Also, my left foot has been suffering all sorts of very painful injuries, broken toes, split toenail (twice on the big toe), inflammation of the Achilles tendon, countless sprains and bruises (one of them once looked as if a horse had stood on me due to shape, size, and colour - and to this day I don't know what I did :o ). What is my foot trying to tell me? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

ooh some nasty ones there.. , dentists are sadist.. once had an extraction of a broken tooth.. first bit came out grand.. not much fun when he went back in for the root...

anyway.. burns , I really hate burns.. and falling off your bike on tarmac and getting nasty big grazes... hate them too.. standing on plugs.. and stubbed toes... oooh why so painful.

broken(bashed/bruised) ribs.. couldnt sleep on my left side for about 2 months... damn ribs.. , sprained/swollen knees/ankles.. can even make watching telly more difficult that it should be...

sneezing... a surprise sneeze with a broken arm.., much worse than braking it in the first place. (broke nose at the same time.. but that didnt hurt at all at the time, fixed it myself in the ambulance. Passanger in a car that hit a wall at about 40mph.. and still broke nose on dash board with seat belt on.. cop told me to wait in the car.. but I insisted on getting out.. then he told me not to lean against the car as it might explode ???????)

Been a long time now.. (touches wood) but any fight.. with kicking and punching and stuff.. get a good punch in the jaw, and eating for the next month can be agony.

but the two most painful things I know of .. luckly didnt happen to me but to mates..

One told me about the pain, when he lost his leg (below the knee) in a motorcycle accident.. his leg was crushed under the bike as it skidded down the road..

The other was a mate who was loading a crossbow, and the sting slipped and hit his fingers so hard, that it broke all his nails on the other side .. ouch ouch ouch ouch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Was full contact kicked below the belt when sparring in a taekwondo tournament a couple years ago. She kicked me so hard down there, that I curled up in pain on the mat crying bloody murder! I hurt for a couple weeks after that. Lads are not the only ones that can be hurt like that, if the kick is forceful enough (and we don't wear cups for protection like lads do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭reggiethefirst

Right, to start off the list.
    Been electrocuted a few times.
    Dislocated shoulder, this was a biatch, popped it in myself, unwillingly.
    Knee ligament Injury
    Cut my middle finger down to the bone
    Getting a tooth drilled at the dentist after they lost your chart saying you need twice the normal amount of Novocaine, that tickled a bit
    Sprained ankle quite badly, completely ignored doctor when he said to use crutches for two weeks, walked everywhere, that was pleasant.
    Large second degree burn on my ankle that kept healing to my sock, so I was essentially ripping the scab off every day. Various others. I'm covered in scars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

when I was about 9 / 10 a top or something fell down the back of the radiator..so decided to get a hanger and unscrew it to make a hook, but the head of the hanger snapped off and slid up the whole lower part of my arm, splitting it right open...didnt hurt because I think I was in shock! My arm was literally in 2halves!! But once I realised, I snapped out of it and my goodness did it hurt!

Not accidental, but I had to get a lumber puncture done a few months ago when I was really sick in hospital. The doctor performing the procedure missed 6 or 7 times, I swear to God! No exageration! So eachtime she did it, it was new anaestetic ( which doesnt work! ) and then the LP again! The pain afterwards is also incredibly bad!!!!!

Getting stung by a jellyfish on my leg and taking an allergice reaction....not exactly a barrell of laughs! ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Caught two fingers in my grannys front door when I was ten. They ended up literally mashed, blood, bone, nail, flesh in bits. That was feckin sore. :(

Last Easter I ended up in AE with a really nasty kidney infection. Couldn't walk for pain but tried to anyway, ended up keeling over and taking a shelf off the wall with the back of my head. Result: Kidney infection, concussion and stitches. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Walked onto one of those old fashioned rakes (with the nails) upturned. Went up through the side of my foot.

Went over the handlebars of my bike and for some stupid reason, held on. Had cuts on forehead, nose, chin and all knuckes scraped to pieces.

Cycled full speed into a lightpole and forgot I had back peddle brakes, head hopped into pole.

I just remembered that when I was 4, I was intrigued by my parents' electric coffee grinder which worked similar to a food processor. I put my finger into it when it was on full speed... My mother thought I was dying with all my screaming and the blood happily splashing away. I have no recollection of this, however. :o Lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I closed a giant hinge of a metal gate on my palm one day. I ended up with a huge red raised welt all across my palm. It was agony. I was on the floor of the driveway sobbing while my dad said "ooh, tht looked a bit sore"!!

Apart from that and it probably doesn't count because it was self inflicted was my last Brazilian wax. I don't know whether it was because I hadn't had one for a while or what but I was screaming in agony. I used to get them once a month and never had a problem but I haven't been back since then. Wild and free baby, wild and free!

I also remember buring myself when I was about 12. I had a ribbed top on and I was carrying a cup of hot milk upstairs I spilled the milk all over my sleeve and it was boiling hot. I burned myself badly and had burned ribbed marks for a few weeks after.

I also got a nasty burn on my wrist when I went to turn the gas fire off. The whole metal grate on the front fell forward on to the inside of my arm. The fire had been on for a few hours to it was seriously hot. I burned a big welt on to the delicate skin on my wrist. I still have a scar about 5 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

F.A. wrote: »
    I saw the pliers and kept my mouth shut. The dentist proceeded to tell me she was only going to see if the pliers fit in order to take the tooth out during my next visit. Innocent me believed it.

My dentist told me this too. That she was measuring my teeth and that when I heard a crack like when I was eating cornflakes it was measured. She pulled the tooth out and I screamed and screamed. She told me to shut up that I was scaring the other patients. Stupid bitch. What an awful thing to say to a child. To give them a fright like that. I've never understood the logic behind it. I wonder was it the same dentist. Was yours in Loughlinstown in Dublin?

It was after that that my parents starting taking us to a private dentist that was good for nervous people. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

Mine arent really too bad considering what others have been through.....

I'd a nasty fall on broken glass which resulted in 11 stitches and a useless left arm for 4 weeks
    The dentist acciedentally splached acid on my gum during a root canal which sent my whole nasal region on fire
    Pulled all the muscles in my right foot running in heels
    And then there's the usuals like broken fingers and dodgy falls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Few I can remember-
    Had 3 bad car crashes - people going into me btw. My back has been very bad since. Day before New Years Eve I got dose of vomiting bug (but in reverse - think 'ring of fire' like liquid lava) anyho. I had to go to work next day and thank god day went fast. Got home on New Years eve night and wanted a quiet one. Ten min to midnight I fell down the stairs - shooting pain. I couldnt hear properly for half hour as the shock/sound of the bang on my pelvis resonated to my ear drums.
    The car crashes werent sore it was the pain afterwards. Have been in tears many a day/night with back issues. Also, subsequent trips to Oseopath are no trips to the park when she is re-positioning your pelvis

Other was being awake when meant to be under anaesthic for wisdom teeth extraction -in the dental hospital. I can remember opening my eyes and seeing doctor with his leg on the bed trying to get out tooth. Funny at the time. Pain was later on and the realisation you have been chewing your toungue to bits also.
    Another, was bikini wax years ago, I swear girl must of been decended from a Nazi. I was bleeding down der for a day.
    Had train tracks twice -- not nice to find a wire sticking into your cheek in the morning. Also the pain getting wired tightened.

My sister had good story where she had many tooth absess - so went to dentist. Dentist removed tooth as invection was soo bad. But found two cysists at base of tooth. Picture sraping out infection and cysists on jaw bone and nerves, without pain killers. Sis said she came out of dentist looking like a member of KISS. As the stupid dentist rubbed off all the blood but not the mascara running down her face.
    Imagine if you were in that waiting room and seeing a sight like that coming out - I rofled at that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

while standing talking in a pub with my hand on a door frame, someone slammed the door in a fit of rage and trapped my 2 fingers right across the nails. i was absolutly hammered but felt everybit of it... knew i had done damage then :(

went straight home and climbed into bed and didnt wanna wake up the next day...

Hmm...

Nothing really that painful has ever happened me.

.. ermm... Having my friend die was pretty painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Digging out a really deep wart from my thumb over the course of a day.

There was blood EVERYWHERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

When I saw the title I automatically thought "up the bum". 6 pages later and no nibbles on that fishing line. Someone's holding out.

Anyway- I've been pretty lucky, no broken bones, well bar my nose but I was too young to remember properly.

Kick to the cohona's was about as bad as I've ever gotten it no major stories.

Most painfull thing I've ever done? Broke someone's heart & mine ;(

Have to agree having someone dying on you sucks- lost my dad to cancer and that was horrible but I didn't kill him so it's not the most painful thing I've ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

involved ahem a metal zip and an appendage girls dont have

first aid from a girl work colleague -

will I put sudocream on it and you can look its not bleeding

painful -yipes but 10/10 on the embarrasment scales 8 years later I cringe when I meet her

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Will wrote: »
    (i know it doesnt count) BUT

try stretching nipple piercings :pac: or even getting them pierced
    you will then know some intense pain

catching a hot iron, ouch

I watch a male friend get this done...the pure look on his face said "ouch"..he went white.

Also dropped a hot iron on my foot yesterday...fooking killed wearing heels last ngiht. And am paying for it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

LadyE wrote: »
    I watch a male friend get this done...the pure look on his face said "ouch"..he went white.

Also dropped a hot iron on my foot yesterday...fooking killed wearing heels last ngiht. And am paying for it today.
    thats nipple pirercing thing is sore but voluntary

it only counts if you laughted - did ya?

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    My dentist told me this too. That she was measuring my teeth and that when I heard a crack like when I was eating cornflakes it was measured. She pulled the tooth out and I screamed and screamed. She told me to shut up that I was scaring the other patients. Stupid bitch. What an awful thing to say to a child. To give them a fright like that. I've never understood the logic behind it. I wonder was it the same dentist. Was yours in Loughlinstown in Dublin?

It was after that that my parents starting taking us to a private dentist that was good for nervous people. :)

Nah, I only moved to Ireland a few years ago. But your report confirms my secret belief that you've got to have some sadistic and/or perverse trait to become a dentist... *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

A kick up me hole!!!:eek:

Really i remember as a kid this guy kicked me right up my fundamental orophus, I couldn't breath with the pain..... straight through my body it went from the tip of my toes to the top of my head and my guts went into some sort af spasm!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

*piercings dont count;)

They're awesome, not accidents ;)

Couple of things I did:

Fell hands first into a blazing coal fire.

Had to endure being resistant to pain killers: IE they generally do nothing. Same with anaesthetics.

Related to ^ that one, had to put up with doctors trying to insert a line into the major vein in the inside of my thigh at my crotch, but due to the illness I was suffering, the vein was hard to get, so they basically were stabbing me with this thing for 25 minutes on each side before getting it in. Because of my anaesthetic resistance I felt every one fully :(
    The nurses were finding it hard to watch, and couldn't believe I told them to keep going when they asked me if I wanted them to stop and try again another day.

My piercing will not be mentioned as it was only a split second, sharp pinching pain and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

when i was about 9i needed a cat scan and the nurse couldnt hit my vein in my hand(prob not as sore as a thigh) so she was stabbing me for about 15 mins too i just squeezed my dads hand and did my best not to make a sound but there were tears flowing down my face

there were three other kids in the waiting room as she did this so im glad i got to go first and didnt have to think aboutit happening to me

my dad later said he was about 2 mins away from punching the poor nurse out but it wasnt her fault i suppose

having my nipple ring get caught up in someones hair and they move away was uber uber painfull and to this day iv got a nervous reaction when people go near my nipples....dont have the piercing any more unfortunately

thinking about a prince albert so if i get it done it will probably be the most painfull thing iv done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I've hurt myself quite a bit but one of the weirdest most unusual feelings was digging someone else's tooth out of my forearm.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dragan wrote: »
    I've hurt myself quite a bit but one of the weirdest most unusual feelings was digging someone else's tooth out of my forearm.

:eek:

Haha, cool! I presume it was more than just a love-bite?:)

I haven't been in much terrible pain...the worst that I can think of was when I sprained my ankle very badly, and had to walk with crutches for a month. Not only that, but I sprained the other one as soon as I recovered from the first!:eek:

The next most painful was a back problem. It started at work (I was working in a deli at the time) and by the time I got home, I couldn't get out of the car. I had pull myself out holding onto the door. My pelvis was feeling really weird, and my back was in the most excrutiating pain. There was nobody in the family home, and I went to bed, lying flat on my back. I couldn't move after that, it was too painful and I stayed there all the next day as well. Luckily I slept for most of that time, cause I would have gone mad otherwise, not being able to even get up to a book.

I now have one.. that happened about 2 mins ago.

I just got my finger caught in the nozzle thingy of the shower and it sliced my finger open. It bled quite alot! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Around 6 years ago was working part time in a bar, and at closing jumped up on a chair to close the curtains, jumped backed down again, and whatever way I landed on my ankle, I managed to tear all the ligaments in my ankle - was on crutches and getting physio for weeks and to this day its still not right.

Another time when I was 15, we had a half day from school for Easter Holidays, and went down town afterwards. I wasn't looking where I was going and walked smack bang into a pole - gave it a right bang, had to go to hospital later that night because I had a pounding headache and couldn't see anything. They did a scan and thought I had fractured my skull. Ended up in hospital for the whole of Easter and it was only a concussion in the end!

That's just me - but the past 2 weeks has been bad for my family. My dad stubbed his toe on the leg of the couch and broke it last week. And then broke his finger yesterday.
    2 weeks ago, my aunt tripped over her mat, fell out her back door, ripped one side of her face open, and broke her 2 elbows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

CDfm wrote: »
    thats nipple pirercing thing is sore but voluntary

it only counts if you laughted - did ya?

Indeed voluntary - but I dont think he expected it.

At my foot..I cursed my stupidity, but did laugh about it. At him..yes..couldnt help it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Tore three of the four ligaments in my left knee while playing football, didnt realise I'd done much damage because the pain wasnt ALL that bad, so went in for the next tackle immiediately after and destroyed the tendons in the same knee... couldnt walk for ages and needed total knee reconstruction, still have a slight limp two years later. Gas craic, were all a bunch of cripples!

Advertisement