Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness brewery for Leixlip

Options
  • 11-09-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭

Guinness have just announced that they plan to build their huge new brewery in Leixlip on the Guinness/Iveagh lands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Where abouts is that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Just heard that myself. I speculated on it a good while ago.
    It makes sense because they will market it as "Guinness Returns Home" or something similar. Thus this might negate some of the backlash that would have been more obvious if they moved somewhere like Clondalkin.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlqlkfaugb/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Great news for the area. I've a few friends who are qualified in their construction fields but are currently out of work. Hopefully the construction part of it will sort them out!

They pretty much all had stable jobs for two years when they were extending Intel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

mobby wrote: »
    Where abouts is that site?

I'm guessing that it's the site across the road from HP where it goes down to the Liffey. Desmond sold them 50 acres. Hopefully he'll invest some of it in the upkeep of the castle which seems to have gradually gotten worse over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'm guessing that it's the site across the road from HP where it goes down to the Liffey. Desmond sold them 50 acres. Hopefully he'll invest some of it in the upkeep of the castle which seems to have gradually gotten worse over the last few years.

I doubt that, that family have pissed every penny they've ever gotten against a wall. I don't think it'll stop now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's the lands behind the Salmon Leap canoe club. I wonder will they change the signs? 'Ancestral and current home of Guinness'. 150 jobs, seems like it'll be fairly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Seemingly they'll only need a small number of staff because of the technology used in the brewng process. The days are long gone when they would need hundreds of people to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Of course, no jobs will actually be created in the new brewery, those 150 jobs will be filled from the Diageo breweries that are being shut down, Kilkenny, Dundalk and part of St James Gate.

Advertisement