Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Legend ?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Couldnt believe how many people have told me the story of the farmer who bought the 08 top of the range combine and went off cutting in the wet field and got stuck.Friends with excavator or similar large machine attempt to pull it out and either warp the chassis or pull off the axle .Farmer cracks up and commits suicide.Does this story appear every wet harvest ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Been hearing that on and ioff since about 2000,
    Sometime in Wexford sometimes Kildare, either a bulldozer or track machine,
    I putting it down to legend..

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

I have heard that too, a story from Kildare where I live, but it wasn't this year. Farmer goes out and buys a new combine for the coming years harvest, think it was 1985 or so, was that the real wet harvest? Anyway combine gets stuck and they get a track machine to pull it out. Combines being built like they are, on a frame more so than a heavy duty chassis, don't like being pulled out. They put a chain around the back axel, and mannaged to pull the axel off it, causing alot of damage, twisting the frame and damaging one of the straw walkers, and generally writing of his brand new combine. :eek:

Farmer goes into the hay shed where a rope is hanging from one of the beams. He attempts to commit suicide, but mis calculates the lenght of the rope, leaving it way too long. He jumps from the stack and breaks both legs when he lands on the ground below.

Thats the story I heard, again not sure its true :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I'm not from a rural area but I find this story fascinating because it contains all that accompanying logic that the best urban legends have (combines built on light chassis, axle comes clean off) and preys on the fears of its audience (farmer makes big investment, investment is destroyed hours later). I never believe any of them but they're great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

fastrac wrote: »
    Couldnt believe how many people have told me the story of the farmer who bought the 08 top of the range combine and went off cutting in the wet field and got stuck.Friends with excavator or similar large machine attempt to pull it out and either warp the chassis or pull off the axle .Farmer cracks up and commits suicide.Does this story appear every wet harvest ?

Heard this story today, the version i heard was similar to this, it had some more info...

I heard the chassis got bent AND the axle came off. The machine was sent back to the manufacturers (wont mention the name obv), and the price for the repair (dismantling the old machine and fittting the old parts to the new chassis) came to almost 100,000 As a result of hearing this, the farmer went to the shed and took his own life...

It is a plausable story as regards the mechanics of it, the frame is very light, and the axle's are not the stromgest part as most combines are 2wd...

Advertisement