Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will Zola do?

• 11-09-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

Looking like he will get the job now at West Ham, i can't really understand why:confused: All the experience he has is with Italy u21 which isn't anything like club management. Ok Keane did it with Sunderland but at least he learned in the Championship. Plus does he know he'll have no money and the board will sell all his defenders? I'm not trying to have a go at Zola who no doubt is a legend but i can't see this lasting long or ending well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

He is a BIG name, Boards like BIG names , Idiots er i mean the typical fan like BIG names

EVERYBODY likes BIG names

Lower mid table
    If they sack him its all good for him payoff would set him his kids and probably his grandkids up for life

What has Keane learned btw apart from spend wildly, sell a fella and buy him back 2 seasons later
    You look at Keano's signings and you know 90% know which ones will/wont work
    You learn nothing in 1 season in the championship
    If they go down they screwed due to the size of squad/money he has spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Curbishly had nearly 20 years managerial experience.

Zola was a coach at under 21 level for 10-15 minutes?

Not looking good for the pint sized Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

MOG7 wrote: »
    Looking like he will get the job now at West Ham, i can't really understand why:confused: All the experience he has is with Italy u21 which isn't anything like club management. Ok Keane did it with Sunderland but at least he learned in the Championship. Plus does he know he'll have no money and the board will sell all his defenders? I'm not trying to have a go at Zola who no doubt is a legend but i can't see this lasting long or ending well.

From the club's (owners anyway) perspective he is a good choice, he will be used to the style of management employed at West Ham and isn't their DOF Italian as well?

He should get time to prove himself, as long as they don't flirt with relegation I think he'll have a few years at the Bingo Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

IMO west Ham have made a huge mistake in letting Curbs go and bringing in a name like Zola to appease the fans.

I was talking about this to a WH fan last night and he's delighted with the news. He was delighted that Zola has said he want to play attacking football.
    He told me fans were so p'ssed off at the end of the season, when survival was guaranteed, they wanted Curbs to play all out attack for the last 5 games. He said he'd rather they were beaten 4-3 than have boring 1-0 wins under Curbs.
    Seems like a fcuking joke to me. BTW this is an East Londoner followed the team for 40 odd years and says that they should stick to what they have done over the years.

I think Zola will fall on his face cause the whole setup and ethos of the club is obviously fcuked up and appointing an inexperienced manager / coach isn't going to help.

Hope i'm wrong but i don't think so. I am betting on them finishing this season lower than last year. Boro and Sunderland and Spurs have all improved on last year and could overtake WH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Boggles wrote: »
    Curbishly had nearly 20 years managerial experience.

he wasn't sacked, he walked.

Curbishley wasn't happy working with the retrictions the DOf system placed on him, Zola will come in with his eyes open.

Coaching is the key with this appointment, Curbisheley's 20 years included plenty of time running all the aspects of Charlton, Zola will only need to work with the 1st team squad, coach and motivate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I think it's an appallingly stupid appointment. More money than sense in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

he wasn't sacked, he walked.

Curbishley wasn't happy working with the retrictions the DOf system placed on him, Zola will come in with his eyes open.

Coaching is the key with this appointment, Curbisheley's 20 years included plenty of time running all the aspects of Charlton, Zola will only need to work with the 1st team squad, coach and motivate them.

To be honest I don't think any coach will be happy with players been sold without been consulted. Big clubs with big cheque books can get away with it because they usually bring in the the 30m + players, its usually a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

ibh wrote: »

Hope i'm wrong but i don't think so. I am betting on them finishing this season lower than last year. Boro and Sunderland and Spurs have all improved on last year and could overtake WH.

In Keane and Southgate, Sunderland and Boro both appointed managers who, like Zola, had no prior managerial experience - certainly not at PL level. West Ham are simply doing the same. I reckon he should be given a chance, not dismissed out of hand. There will plenty of time for recriminations and finger pointing after WH are relegated :D

Despite the successes of Keane and Southgate, it remains a huge risk for any club to appoint a young and completely inexperienced manager. After all, being a good player doesn't make you a good manager. Just look at Ossie Ardiles as and example. However, the bed is now made, and West Ham fans find a small, middle-aged Italian man is lying in it with the promise exciting times. *shudder*

Hopefully it pays off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

In Keane and Southgate, Sunderland and Boro both appointed managers who, like Zola, had no prior managerial experience - certainly not at PL level. West Ham are simply doing the same. I reckon he should be given a chance, not dismissed out of hand. There will plenty of time for recriminations and finger pointing after WH are relegated :D

Despite the successes of Keane and Southgate, it remains a huge risk for any club to appoint a young and completely inexperienced manager. After all, being a good player doesn't make you a good manager. Just look at Ossie Ardiles as and example. However, the bed is now made, and West Ham fans find a small, middle-aged Italian man is lying in it with the promise exciting times. *shudder*

Hopefully it pays off.

I don't think he quite middle-aged now is he???

BTW i hope he does the business for West Ham and they have some good young players there than could break through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

is 35 not middle aged, wait what is the life expectancy for males these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Hes a gentlemen, he was a legendary player, attacking football, flare, hes respected, will work with the boards coaching style unlike old school managers and he should attract some big names hopefully. I'm behind him 100% and no I don't think di canio should of got the job. Maybe in a few years he needs experience and I can imagine a lot of dressing room fights if it was him:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is 42 middle aged?

Anyway West Ham and previously Blackburn have now both turned down Michael Laudrup which makes me think they are both run by idiots.

JPA wrote: »
    Is 42 middle aged?

Anyway West Ham and previously Blackburn have now both turned down Michael Laudrup which makes me think they are both run by idiots.

Actually Laudrup said he doesn't want to coach in England yet, Probably waiting for big club. He was on our shortlist of 5. Every manager rulled themselves out except zola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Actually Laudrup said he doesn't want to coach in England yet, Probably waiting for big club. He was on our shortlist of 5. Every manager rulled themselves out except zola.

Fair enough, gamble though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

is 35 not middle aged, wait what is the life expectancy for males these days?

Mercy me. It was a joke, and an accurate one at that.

Zola is 42 years old. According to the C.I.A factbook the estimated life expectancy for males in Italy is 77.5 - 80. (Hope you're not colour blind.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think he'll do well. First off, he's Italian so he's more than familiar with the Director of Football situation, virtually every club in Italy uses it and secondly, he'll be an eternally popular man in English football so he'll probably get a lot more time than most to bed in and get used to the job.

The only worry that I'd have for West Ham is that it seems like he may have gotten the job strictly on the strength of his interview (they released a press coment saying that they were very impressed with him and Donadoni before he got the job) but Zola is a charmer. I'd be very impressed if he managed to talk himself into a job he just wasn't able for. As for his "experience", I'd say it's largely irrelavant. They should have gone for Donadoni but Zola is still a decent choice

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I think he'll do well. First off, he's Italian so he's more than familiar with the Director of Football situation, virtually every club in Italy uses it and secondly, he'll be an eternally popular man in English football so he'll probably get a lot more time than most to bed in and get used to the job.

The only worry that I'd have for West Ham is that it seems like he may have gotten the job strictly on the strength of his interview (they released a press coment saying that they were very impressed with him and Donadoni before he got the job) but Zola is a charmer. I'd be very impressed if he managed to talk himself into a job he just wasn't able for. As for his "experience", I'd say it's largely irrelavant. They should have gone for Donadoni but Zola is still a decent choice

Donadoni also ruled himself out. He was the only choice really and I think they were rushing to get a new manager for the next home game. I hope he does well, but he might not and I know he will prob go chelsea in a few years if he does well. Its just been confirmed hes signed now. Good luck Zola!

edit: news conference at 4.30 on SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Donadoni ruled himself out because the board was split over who they wanted.

I think the point he was making is the board should not have been split, in which case Donadoni would have wanted the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

when you consider the two main candidates were Donandoni and Zola it's utterly nuts that the board would be split between the two.

Zola - assistant manger to the Italian under 21s for a few days each month.

Donadoni - almost 10 years managerial experience, of mostly overachievement, particularly with Livorno in Serie - A. 2 years with the Italian team, which will have given him experience in handling the intense scrutiny premiership managers face these days.

f*cking madness.

Zola will no doubt have a bright start as his high profile will probably galvanise the players at WHU, but I think his lack of experience will become apparent, particular towards the latter stages of the season where everyone is gunning it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Donadoni ruled himself out because the board was split over who they wanted.

I think the point he was making is the board should not have been split, in which case Donadoni would have wanted the job.

I would guess that Donadoni heard they didn't want him, and withdraw his name. It'd look bad for Zola (Italy u-21 coach) to beat him (former Italian national team coach) to a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is an unknown as a Manager. He has never come across as someone who would make a Manager. I don't know, I haven't an earthly clue how he will do at the job.
    All I'd say is that if he turns out to be successful then West Ham will find some way to cause problems and get rid of him. The most clueless club in Premiership football ever imo.
    Its like this at West Ham all the time "jaysus that guy is too good of a manager/player, lets get rid of him before we end up in the top half of the table. We need to get relegated soon or we will have some consistency about us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It wouldn be surprised if West Ham have a new manager by the end of the season. It's a gamble and I'm not sure the fans will be patient enough with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

First off I think people need to stop calling Zola a manger. He isn't and he won't be. Effectively he will be the first team coach. I think W went for him because they percieve him to be a yes man, putty that they can mold.

Donadoni probably set out certain limitations in his interview on what he wanted as manager regarding transfers and that. That's why the board was probably split, a few of them were probably adamant that they didn't appoint another 'manager'. Zola on the other hand probably told him everthing they wanted to hear, that he would keep his nose out of transfers, and do as they wish.

I know I am simplifying things, but thats the nuts and bolts of how I see it. I think it is very telling that once Donadoni threw the towel in, there was only one man they could appoint. I would imagine the Newcastle recruit will be even worse, as no manager worth there salt should be walking into these clubs at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

West Ham sponsers XL have gone into administration, welcome Gianfraco Zola.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7611639.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I give him til April 25th when Chelsea hand them their arses on a plate at Upton Park. Let's see how the faithful react to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

I have to agree with Charlie here; Zola has been installed as a coach rather than a manager. Biscuits Biscuitsson and his buddies will dictate team policy and Zola will execute said policy.

West Ham should have another 3 points this Saturday and then Zola will be in charge for the Newkie game. If the fans conduct a boycott like they've threatened then Newcastle could be in serious turmoil by the time they line up against old boys Bellamy and Bowyer...

Considering this there's every chance that West Ham will be in the top 3 the weekend after this!

Advertisement