Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCAM: Internet Register Ireland

Options
  • 11-09-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

(Mods, please move if better suited elsewhere.)

If, like me, you received a letter today from Internet Register Ireland, don't sign it, it's a scam - as a quick google will tell you - but a lot of people seem to have fallen for it.

The small print says you're undertaking to pay them €958 a year :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I have heard recently of a number of people who signed up for this who are now being invoiced.

Having singed it up for it they now appear to be liable for almost €1000 a year for 3 years.

I just wanted to highlight this again.

Link to an example of the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

ah yes, these German lads have been going a long time. Ive known a few people get stung, ouch :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

why are people dragging up a post from Sept 08 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Cabaal wrote: »
    why are people dragging up a post from Sept 08 now?

Because they're still at it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Because they're still at it?

You'd have to be a fool to fall for them though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

There's no fool like an ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You'd have to be a fool to fall for them though

The fact they are still going should tell you something.

Kahless wrote: »
    The fact they are still going should tell you something.

So is spam but we don't need to post about it every day ;)

People are falling for it and it is costing them almost €3000. I brought it up again because the invoices for the sign up forms that were sent out at the time of the original post are now being received by Irish business's up and down the country. Spam mostly invites you to buy some cheap pills or software, this on the other hand is more a con and needs to be highlighted. It is easier to fall for than the Nigerian ones and people have fallen for those too.

Most Spam is not a scam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why would someone sign a form, and give payment details, to a company that they don't do business with?

Anyone falling for this deserves to pay the 3 grand, call it stupidity tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

jor el wrote: »
    Why would someone sign a form, and give payment details, to a company that they don't do business with?

Agreed.

Though, I had to fight my CEO NOT to pay this. He thought it was a great idea at the time :rolleyes:

jor el wrote: »

The form doesn't ask for payment details. People who signed the form to be included in the database are invoiced 3 months afterwards approx. They are obliged to pay this invoice. People mistakenly believe they are completing a form so that the correct details for their domain will be held by the "Internet Registry". They do not read the small print stating that they will have to pay nearly €1000 for the pleasure of being included on some random German website.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

It's not spam. Our workplace received a bill in post for 958.00 about 2 weeks ago. Our a/cs man was about to pay it until one of my colleagues (who had heard about it before on Liveline) stopped him from doing so.
    The letter is very professionally laid out with an invoice attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Seriously any Irish Business that falls for this are idiots. Why would an Internet Irish Registrar be in fooking Germany in the first place. And not reading the small print as a business is an epic fail. Who seriously signs forms and doesnt read small print. Maybe I should set one up myself and make it look all professional and put in small print that hands over the their businesses to me. A 12 year old kid can make anything look professional with a bit of cop on and a computer.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

rco2000 wrote: »
    It's not spam. Our workplace received a bill in post for 958.00 about 2 weeks ago. Our a/cs man was about to pay it until one of my colleagues (who had heard about it before on Liveline) stopped him from doing so.
    The letter is very professionally laid out with an invoice attached.

Remind me never to hire that A/Cs guy :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 squid7

Stupid to get caught some might say but nonetheless, I see loads of local companies and charities listed on their listings site.

The small print on the original order form says:

"The advertisement costs 958 euros per annum and is payable in ADVANCE after issue of invoice."

We signed this and put in our company details not realising it was a scam,

Now we receive the invoice roughly 6 months later with their bank details of where to send the 958 euros.

From reading the small print above it appears to me that that in order for them to have the contract valid you actually have to send them the 958 euros.

Am I correct in thinking that as long as you dont actually send them the "first years" 958 euros then there is no contract?

Any help would be appreciated, this seems to be wider than most of ye know...take a look at the listings for yourselves....

http://www.internet-register-ireland.com

..Squid

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

If you want to find a list of the sitting ducks who contributed to this scam then visit the offenders website and search for companies in ireland, then multiply the number by 1k and tadaa you see the size of this scam.

It also exposes these companies to other scams as they are listed as fall guys for this sort of scam.

I have fielded multiple calls on this over the years from clients who would question the bill of a bone fide company, and on the other hand pay this one automatically because it looked official.

To think this scam is now about 5 years old and still going strong. I wonder have they had a dip in business as a result of the recession ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

squid7 wrote: »
    Stupid to get caught some might say but nonetheless, I see loads of local companies and charities listed on their listings site.

The small print on the original order form says:

"The advertisement costs 958 euros per annum and is payable in ADVANCE after issue of invoice."

We signed this and put in our company details not realising it was a scam,

Now we receive the invoice roughly 6 months later with their bank details of where to send the 958 euros.

From reading the small print above it appears to me that that in order for them to have the contract valid you actually have to send them the 958 euros.

Am I correct in thinking that as long as you dont actually send them the "first years" 958 euros then there is no contract?

Any help would be appreciated, this seems to be wider than most of ye know...take a look at the listings for yourselves....

http://www.internet-register-ireland.com

..Squid
    Nobody has ever been brought to court by any of these types of spammers ever. - Includes the fax roll spammers, till roll spammers, business listing spammers.

They're happy enough with the people who are stupid enough to pay up.

You simply either ignore the rubbish or inform them that all purchases made by your company must have a purchase order number or that the person who signed is not an authorised official of the company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hmmm...

and all this time we were blaming the bankers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I've had a couple of letters asking me to register my domain with some company or I'll loose the rights to the name and other terrible things! I googled the company and it appears to be a scam. I thought as much as one of the addresses they told me to register is a defunct "free" site (I'd to pay for the name) that I was using to practice HTML on ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement