Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coillte joins 26" vs. 29" debate

Options
  • 11-09-2008 1:06pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

I was very surprised to read on the info board at the Ballinastoe trail-head that Coillte were adding their weight to the anti-29" MTB camp, explicitly stating that only bikes with 26" wheels are suitable for the trails.
    Back to the drawing board, Gary Fischer, the Irish forestry board has spoken!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Why do they not want 29"? I mean, why are 29" not suitable for the trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    Why do they not want 29"? I mean, why are 29" not suitable for the trails?

Because 29ers are on the first step to becoming roadies :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

have seen plenty of people out on the trails on cyclocross bikes, they are 29ers really.

Also I still don't get why mtn biking needed to make up a new name for 700c wheels, or it that just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Twits.
    700c is a little smaller than 27" if I remember correctly.
    So how are they gonna know if you are riding a 29er or 26". Are they gonna marshal the trails. What about 20" and 24" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

copacetic wrote: »
    Also I still don't get why mtn biking needed to make up a new name for 700c wheels, or it that just me?

29" is just under 737 mm according to the metric converter I've just used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm not 100% sure, but isn't 29" the rough diameter of the rim AND the tyre, whereas on a Road bike, it's the diameter of the rim only

See here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Eh.. I think yee are getting a bit carried away. I believe the text is
    The waymarked loop includes long climbs and descents over a wide variety of sometimes difficult terrain on trails that are only suitable for mountain bikes i.e. bikes with 26inch wheels, knobbly tyres and flat handlebars.

It's merely a loose qualifier for the average joe, so as people who don't know what they are doing bring roadbikes/bmxs/whatever onto it.

Verb wrote: »
    Eh.. I think yee are getting a bit carried away. I believe the text is

It's merely a loose qualifier for the average joe, so as people who don't know what they are doing bring roadbikes/bmxs/whatever onto it.

Damn knee jerk reactions!!

Anyway, wouldn't it be a nice idea to do a "run what you brung" day out there.
    Time trials with extra points for the most unsuitable bikes used.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cantalach wrote: »
    29" is just under 737 mm according to the metric converter I've just used.

as tiny says they just added the tyre syze to a 700cc wheel and called them 29ers.

i.e 29ers don't have 29inch wheels. They are roughly 29 inches including the tyre. At least that is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

studiorat wrote: »
    Damn knee jerk reactions!!

Anyway, wouldn't it be a nice idea to do a "run what you brung" day out there.
    Time trials with extra points for the most unsuitable bikes used.

Myself and some friends were going around one day and saw two polish (I think) lads coming after us. One was on an old hardtail mountain bike, the other was on a crappy girls bike, rigid frame. It was embarrassing as your man just cruised over the bits were were laboring over. Well, the bits I was laboring over.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about a downhiller climb and track bike down hill..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Doc Savage

26" Wheels are mountainbike wheels..29" are completely stupid..and wrong and not meant for mountainbiking on..like singlespeed, why would you limit yourself.idiots.
    gary fisher lobbied the UCU to remove the rule that a mtb had to have a 26" wheel. so he could sell his stupid idea. if you are going to mountainbike anywhere, then 26" tyres . 2.3 " are your only man.. and you can measuire tyres and rims all you want, but the only way to determine a mountainbiker of real stature is to partake in the EPIC Blast this Sunday the 14th, otherwise you are a Goober

Richie Byrne

www.epicmtb.com

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Doc Savage wrote: »
    26" Wheels are mountainbike wheels..29" are completely stupid..and wrong and not meant for mountainbiking on..like singlespeed, why would you limit yourself.idiots.
    So what you're saying, Richie, is the jury's still out on 29"? ;)

BTW, thanks again for running the kids session last Saturday, it was brilliant - they're at me constantly to go again: gonna cost me upgrading the bikes, though!
    - Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

29inch wheels on a single speed is the way to go...

Advertisement