Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMD -> Intel possible?

• 11-09-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I have a PC with an AMD-64 chip that I wanted to convert to Ubuntu (Linux). Now Ubuntu installs fine (the 64-bit version) but I'm somewhat crippled after that. A lot of the software I'm interested in is built for i386 builds only. I've found some alternatives, but I'm still having to revert to XP for the likes of say Skype. How would I go about replacing the AMD chip with an Intel chip? Or is this the dumbest thing you've read today?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

corblimey wrote: »
    I have a PC with an AMD-64 chip that I wanted to convert to Ubuntu (Linux). Now Ubuntu installs fine (the 64-bit version) but I'm somewhat crippled after that. A lot of the software I'm interested in is built for i386 builds only. I've found some alternatives, but I'm still having to revert to XP for the likes of say Skype. How would I go about replacing the AMD chip with an Intel chip? Or is this the dumbest thing you've read today?

32bit software runs fine on a 64bit OS. Changing the processor to Intel won't change this. If you do still want to swap, you'll need a new CPU and motherboard at a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

All Intel and AMD chips made in the last 3+ years are 64 bit, but they will still allow you to install and run 32 bit operating systems and applications no problem.

As to your second question, motherboards are compatible with either AMD or Intel CPUs, so switching will require a new motherboard as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Hi OP,

To run a 32-bit application on your 64-bit OS you'll need runtime libraries for the ia32/i386 architecture. Download and install the ia32-libs package.

Here's a link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=432295 on how to install Skype on 64-bit Ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Moving to the linux forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You won't need to go to Windows for 32 bit apps. What you may need to do it go to 32 bit Ubuntu. I've a 64 bit CPU but run the 32 bit variant of Bunty. There are a lot of apps out there for both Windows and Linux that are still 32-bit reliant (Spear is wrong here). Use the i386 version of Bunty and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

You don't even need to go to a 32-bit OS for 32-bit applications! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you've got 3GB of RAM or less and use the machine as a normal desktop then just run standard 32-bit x86 Ubuntu. The x86_64 chips will run a 32-bit Linux distribution perfectly and you won't notice any real performance difference. I used to run a Ubuntu desktop like this for years as it's more convenient.

If you've got more than 3GB of RAM or you're planning to use the machine heavily with applications that will benefit from 64-bit Linux then you'll probably want to use 64-bit Linux and put up with some of the browser plugin issues and use ia32libs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You can install the 32-bit versions of Firefox and others as long as you've the 32-bit libs installed, so you don't need to use a 32-bit OS.

Advertisement