Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Service pack 1

• 11-09-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

I noticed on one of my computers that System Service pack 1 wasn't installed on my computer It’s about 1 year and a half old so I decided to download and install it but it fcuked everything on the computer and wouldn’t boot properly.

So I decided to revert back to factory settings that went fine. Now it’s being downloading updates for the last week but still no System service pack 1 has been downloaded.

Is there some machines that just doesn’t allow it to be downloaded for the reason that it just can’t take it. I have had problems with other updates and should I stop trying to upgrade to System Service pack 1?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭HPMan

Hi, i download all the updates that Windows Update offers me and was only presented SP1 for download 2 days ago - though it was available for offered download to many for several months; i guess there are so many Vista pcs out there that it takes time. I am burning to dvd all my important files and downloading SP1 tomorrow. Fingers crossed, though i am abit alarmed of your experience of SP1 download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Update all your drivers to the latest possible versions especially your sound and graphics cards. If you have a fingerprint reader then do that to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭HPMan

hi, i have checked all my drivers as far as i can and they are uptodate - used the driver update button under System, Device manager- i had waited months for SP1 to be offered to me and after about 11 updates which were downloaded after being offered automaticailly, SP1 was then offered.

I have looked at the Sigma Tel driver and is the 12/1/07 version as opposed to the 22/11/06. Curiously, if I am not confused on this - i have had a weekend of failed SP1 installs and am abit xxxxed off - when i asked Windows to find an uptodate driver, it installed the 22/11/06 version. However, I rolled back and it is currently the 12/1/07 in place.

I have closed down Mcafee, Defender and other programs, tried it with and without my memory stick (readyboosting laptop) - only thing i havent done is turn off my printer.

I have in the past stopped the download of optional language packs and there are entries for these showing in the history list.

I was having Spooler Subsystem App stopping printing as well as Mcafee closing down as well as other problems.

I had to restore back to prior 1st try at SP1 and all seems ok. I just cannot understand how to make it work. I have sufficient hard dik space and more than enough memory.

Any tips anyone???

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Don't think I have ever had any luck in finding new drivers from the Update Driver function in Device Manager. I usually go to the individual manufacturer's websites or use a Third Party app such as Driver Detective (which does cost money).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yea youre better off finding them manually im afraid. I have to do the same thing for my graphic driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I was just offered the Service Pack via Windows Update last night. I believe they hold it back in cases where they know there will be driver issues and my Dell Inspiron has a Sigmatel sound card that was on their list of hardware for which drivers weren't available yet initially when SP1 came out.

So great that one of Microsoft's main customers couldn't get their hardware sorted out in time for the official release and that customers for their higher end machines were left swinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Mine has it scheduled now for updating but when it starts to install it just gives an error message after a few minutes

Advertisement