Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads Up - Aldi Winter Gear Next Thurs (18/9)

Options
  • 11-09-2008 1:20pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭

FYI, Aldi have various winter gear next Thursday.

Jackets, Shirts, waterproofs, underwear, gloves, socks, overshoes and hats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

copacetic wrote: »
    FYI, Aldi have various winter gear next Thursday.

Jackets, Shirts, waterproofs, underwear, gloves, socks, overshoes and hats.

Anyone know by any chance if there is a store in Meath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Nice, can't see that far into the future on their website, insider tip is it!?

Trek climber: http://aldi.ie/ie/html/store_locator.htm?WT.z_src=main

Had a gander, but I don't know where in Meath the Highlands are! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Wez wrote: »

Cheers, nearest one is either Drogheda or Ashbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

ill be stocking up so. just bought a light and gloves yesterday and I was gonna get the wet stuff last night to but I think ill hold off for this.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Wez wrote: »

saw the brochure for it. some nice stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

It seems to be advertised quicker in store than their websites....
    They're selling shoes this time also - haven't seen that before!
    I could do with a spare pair, and some more overshoes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

gman2k wrote: »
    It seems to be advertised quicker in store than their websites....
    They're selling shoes this time also - haven't seen that before!
    I could do with a spare pair, and some more overshoes.....
    I bought a pair of shoes in aldi over 2 years ago - don't know what they'll be like this time but the ones I got cost €30 and I've gotten 2 winters commuting and training and this year used them in club races, W200 etc instead of my carnac carbon soled shoes - If I'd known how much i'd like them i'd have bought a few pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

are they clipless shoes?
    edit : yes they are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I hate you lot my nearest aldi is an hours drive away looks like ill be late into work on thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

I started commuting at the start of the Summer and love it!

I would love to keep it up over the Winter so what from Aldi would be the most important/useful? I have a budget of around €100 so what should I prioritise?

In case it is important my commute is around 11km and takes 40 mins in the morning and 45-50 mins on the way home!

Cheers,

Branners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good deal of cheapo winter stuff:
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week38thursday098.htm

If the winter is anything like the summer, it might be useful to have some dry backup gear for those really bad days. Doubt the gloves would be any use, but I'm sure the overshoes would be good.

A quick google seems to indicate that the gear is good for the price.

Doh. Power abuse ahoy!

Seeing as there's a good review of the shoes, I might buy a spare pair of them too...

Damn! I thought I'd nick into the Aldi in Rathmines before work on Thursday but they don't open 'til 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Damn Id love to buy that generator. It would be totally useless to me but it would come in handy when the apocalypse comes.

Myth wrote: »
    Damn! I thought I'd nick into the Aldi in Rathmines before work on Thursday but they don't open 'til 9am.

The one in rathmines is crap. it's very small, cramped and hard to get to anything - basically you will get trapped in one section, and be able to take your pick from that basket to your hearts desire, but if you want to get to another basket to pick through that, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

don't you have a dental appointment at 9am on Thursday morning - I know I have

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Winter Cycle jersies are good - would be too warm for me still at this time of the year. Have two of them and they were constantly used over the winter. I'll be buying more.

The winter jacket is lovley and warm and has a generous pocket that you could fit a raincoat into.

Have the gloves - they're OK - i'll be getting another pair.

The bib trousers weren't great great - the sizing seemed to be on the large side and i gave them away. I wouldn't get another pair.

The cycling jacket was a bit sweaty and doesn't compete with quality brands. Not that i got rained on too much - bit i wasn't convinced of its rainproofing. It had a hood (!) and no lining. However a friend got the previous version of the jacket and his was better - mesh lining etc...

The hat and shoe cover combo were good - I lost the hat after one use but the shoe covers were very handy - keeping my feet warm on long spins before the summer. Not mega quality - but waddia expect for the price - and compare to the outrageous prices some clowns are asking for similar products.

I bought a pair of the shoes a couple of years back and I've been using them for the last 6 months in training and races (triathlons). I will be buying another pair.

The chorizo is good for those shrivelly days - my old one is nearly worn out at this stage so i'll be buying two this time.

For the commuter question - I have a 10 K commute and the winter cycling jersey was grand - it it got real cold i usually used a gilet. The jacket is almost too warm for most days. I wouldn't bother with the shoes for commuting only. You'd probably be better to go more up market with a rain jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I think I'll buy a pair of those shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The chorizo is good for those shrivelly days - my old one is nearly worn out at this stage so i'll be buying two this time.

Hahahah nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Me, I just hope there's some cyclamen left:

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_6974.htm
    Verb wrote: »
    Hahahah nice

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Went to Aldi Parnell St.

The Winter cycling jersies were the same as last year - they were flying out the door.
    The shoes looked OK - got a pair.
    The shoe covers same as last time - were moving.
    Winter jackets weren't the same as i described - looked of a similar design - not as large a rear pocket.
    Thermal gear looked OK - didn't get it.
    The winter cycling trousers were the same - i'd avoid

I went to nutgrove
    got the socks, thermal and 2 cycling shirts. the waterproof jackets were the same as last years, they flew out. the shoes were really heavy, and the buckle release was tiny, so defo not something for cold winter fingers!

Damn, I'm hoping there's still some stuff there when I'm finished today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Steeplechase

Went to the Longford branch.

Winter Cycling Trousers - for €13.49, I think they're unbelievable value. Make sure to check the waist size; the large were too big for me, but I didn't think the medium would be long enough (I'm 32/34) - turns out the medium is a perfect fit.

Winter Jacket - seems fine, but definitely not waterproof. Might be better off just wearing a rain jacket over an ordinary jersey (got a winter jersey for €9.49, be mad not to pick one of them up at that price). It's hard to know with the current mild weather if the winter jacket is adequate for a really cold day.

The gloves are fine, bought a pair.

Got the thermal "long-johns", don't know if I'll use them but they're handy to have I suppose.

Jacket, jersey, trousers, gloves and jocks for €63. Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Damn, I'm hoping there's still some stuff there when I'm finished today.

Got the gloves and jacket myself, disappointed with the jacket (no lining) , say it's "breathable" , but I doubt it , reckon it will be as sweaty as the one I bought in Lidl last year for half the price , but whatever bought it anyway . Gloves same as ones I bought last year , excellent . Wouldn't kill myself if you don't make it after work Myth.......

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

I got a pair of these shoes 1st thing this morning on the way to work , as I was asleep and more interested in the jersey I didn't pay any attention as to how I'd actually use these. ONLY now have I checked the soles!!!
    I've just bought a giant scr 1.5 with shimano ulttegra SL 6620 SPD-SL pedals (as I've decided to enter the 21st century and retire my dawes super galaxy which has toe clips hence the purchase)
    Question 1
    the shoes have two mounting holes on the soles are they compatible with
    my pedals ?
    Question 2
    If not can they be converted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

16hill16 wrote: »
    I got a pair of these shoes 1st thing this morning on the way to work , as I was asleep and more interested in the jersey I didn't pay any attention as to how I'd actually use these. ONLY now have I checked the soles!!!
    I've just bought a giant scr 1.5 with shimano ulttegra SL 6620 SPD-SL pedals (as I've decided to enter the 21st century and retire my dawes super galaxy which has toe clips hence the purchase)
    Question 1
    my pedals ?
    Question 2

I didnt bother going to Aldi in the end. Decided to put the money I would have spent on something else. Here's a link to a similar questions I posted a few days ago. Hope it helps...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055378957

16hill16 wrote: »
    Question 1
    my pedals ?
    Question 2
    It says they're SPD compatible, so I don't think they'll work with your SPD-SL cleats. Coverting them would be a pain and mightn't work at all. It would involve drilling :)

If they're a size 10 and you've no use for them at all, I'll take them off your hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

Hungry Col Thanks for the link

Seamus
    Thanks for the info & offer unfortunately they're size 9
    I'll try to exchange them

Advertisement