Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Manoeuvres on the clutch?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 1:21pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My instructor says you drive using just the clutch on a turnabout and when reversing around a corner. He says just that and the brake, don't accelerate at all. Is this definitely right? I thought using the clutch too much was frowned upon as you don't have full control of the car. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't recommend doing so. I would recommend using the clutch and accelerator as normal, to get sufficient momentum to move forward/backward. Relying solely on the clutch just seems unnecessary imho, the car will, most likely, struggle to move off without using the accelerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭SeanW

Relying solely on the clutch just seems unnecessary imho, the car will, most likely, struggle to move off without using the accelerator.
    That isn't universally true.
    It depends on what kind of car you're driving. A higher engine cc diesel car (like what a lot of instructors use) will maintain sufficient torque with the clutch out that the car will travel comfortably up to 5mph in first gear and no pedals used. (Like my first instructors car, a souped up Ford Fiesta approx 1.9l diesel)

Whereas with for example a lower capacity petrol engine, you would have to use the accelerator any time you're not using the clutch or the engine will fall below its minimum rev and stall. (like the VW Polo at home 1l petrol).

For that reason, you are afaik, allowed to use the clutch when travelling very slowly in 1st gear, but all the same your maneuvres should be relatively snappy so this can be avoided as much as the car and your maneuvre allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Personally I haven't thus far, needed or intended to use the accelerator for reversing. Coming off the clutch gives you more than enough to perform manouvers. And you could possibly get upto about 5-10mph I'd say from using the clutch alone in reverse.. I'm not going to test that, though ;):p

I definatly won't be touching the accelerator for reversing around a corner in my driving test (when it comes 'round). You really don't need to be reversing around a corner at high speed in a test! :D

As for a turn about, It depends on where it is, what way the road is, and so on.. Normally you'll be able to come off the clutch so far and it will move slowly enough, but I'd advise using the accelerator lightly and being very careful on the clutch to control your speed. There's not even that much needed, once the car is moving slowly enough to turn the steering wheel you're grand. As for reversing, only use the clutch (imo)..

It's a driving test where you won't get marked for speed of manouver(s), but you will be marked on how well/safe its done. Slower you're going, easier they are to do..

I did say "most likely", i had actually made a complex post that went into detail about the differences in torque between diesels and similarly sized petrols...but realised i had gone completely off topic!
    As with a lot of situations when driving, there is nothing that will universally work for all. OP, if you find this method is odd, or prefer using the accelerator to come easy off the clutch, than do so, unless using solely the clutch will result in the car being exceptionally slow, it should make little difference to the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Just the clutch should be plenty unless it was perhaps reversing uphill. Just keep your right foot over or ready to press the accelerator should the car start to labour. No?

• Advertisement

Just the clutch should be plenty unless it was perhaps reversing uphill. Just keep your right foot over or ready to press the accelerator should the car start to labour. No?

As i said, it's hard to make a universal comment one way or the other. And the OP asks about both the turnabout and reverse around the corner manoeuvre, so i presume this includes first and reverse gear. My 1.4 focus, can barely move forward on solely the clutch, it would take a good bit of "working" the clutch to get it to start moving, and even then, just barely. Reverse is easier to move in, as a result of the gearing.
    But just to clarify for the OP, unless solely using the clutch results in an exceptionally slow manoeuvre, there should be no problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My learner car is a diesel so it does have a good bit of power just on the clutch alone. I've no problem doing it this way so I think I'll continue my clutching, especially on the reverse which is pretty challenging for me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

My instructors car, a Diesel Fiesta will manouvre fine on the clutch alone, and thats what ive been told to do. I was driving the Focus today and its completely different altogether, and takes a bit of getting used to.

A relativly big diesel in a small car is great for learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

It does depend on the car....keep in mind that if you are only using the clutch you are potentially very close to cutting out, and on the day nerves will play a big part. So I was only using the clutch on the day of the test and I cut out doing the turnabout. Now I always use some accleration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If there is any kind of gradient you'll most likely need to use the accelerator to get the car up it. In Cork two of the regular corners they use are on fairly decent slopes (Togher and Summerstown); I doubt you'd have the momentum to reverse up either of them without some accelerator action, no matter how slow you're doing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement