Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling back in the day....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

rovert wrote: »
    Can you not apply your own common sense to the fact that someone with a 17-inch rod in his leg can not describe that leg as being in your words in "perfect condition?"

Well I was using the logic that I have a few pieces of metal in my body(pins,a rod) but still play a full contact sport at a reasoanably high level. That's the "common sense" I was using.

But that's neither here nor there I guess. He looks in reasonable shape in that match all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Which bit are you talking about? All your points have to be jokes in fairness.

Sounds reliable.

funny, you have a reliable source in wikipedia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Is RAW not on Cable? Don't think the FCC have any say in it.

I can't see them going back to anythin like the attitude era, it takes too much to "shock" these days and would probably send it to a 17's rating or somethin else daft like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Here we go .....

Sids return match a few weeks back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW9zkRfvlVA&eurl=http://www.24wrestling.com/index.php?id=extras/567

Word is John Laurinaitis wants him back in the WWE Sid wants to go. But Sid admitted after that fight he wouldnt pass the wellness policy .

Fight?

I wouldnt put too much stock in a youtube comment in fairness. That isn’t his return match and Sid would likely never said say he is on steroids let alone say he cant pass wellness especially if he is angling to go back to WWE.

Sunset V wrote: »
    Well I was using the logic that I have a few pieces of metal in my body(pins,a rod) but still play a full contact sport at a reasoanably high level. That's the "common sense" I was using.

But that's neither here nor there I guess. He looks in reasonable shape in that match all the same.

Yep is it neither here nor there. You aren’t 6' 10", 48 or have a 17 inch rod in your leg or are facing WWE road schedule and the Wellness policy. The reason why Sid looks like he is in reasonable shape in that match as it is from TEN YEARS AGO.
    funny, you have a reliable source in wikipedia!

It wasn’t wikipedia, what are you disputing here anyway? He does a rod in his leg that size.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Is RAW not on Cable? Don't think the FCC have any say in it.

FCC does have a say in it.

This one of Sid's return matches POST leg break:

Put the belt on him now!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

^^^ looks like they are wrestling in a shed there :D
    Now, this is my first post on here, and im not that big of a fan of wrestling anymore.
    i recently just started watching it again the odd time, but i have to say,off what i saw, it is nothing compared to the wrsetling back in the day when the likes of (Razor ramon, diesel,lex luger,macho man,123 kid,mr perfect,million dollar man,yokozuma,crush,bret hart,undertaker) all them guys were wreslting.
    i dont know, maybe its because im older now, but its like, the characters they have now, are nothing like the ones ive mentioned.
    plus theres only around 5/6 big star names(batista,cena,edge,hhh,orton,hardy).

you liked crush :eek: which WWF version?? demolition crush, face hawaiian crush, japanese sympathiser crush, prison crush, biker crush or racially integrated gang crush, personally i thought all his gimmicks were awful
    another thing is....what is the deal with the divas wrestling?? its stupid.
    back in the day, they were just there as managers and to look pretty!
    it should have stayed that way.

women have been wrestling since the carnie days of the 30s/40s, surely you heard of Fabulous Moolah and Mildred Burke, there was womens wrestling at the first two wrestlemanias then vince decided to stop doing womens wrestling for about 7 years until he signed up Alundra Blayze in about 1993

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sid looks like he could do with trying the Activia challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rossie1977 wrote: »
    you liked crush :eek: which WWF version?? demolition crush, face hawaiian crush, japanese sympathiser crush, prison crush, biker crush or racially integrated gang crush, personally i thought all his gimmicks were awful

You forgot Kronik Crush complete with a head of timotei hair!
    there was womens wrestling at the first two wrestlemanias then vince decided to stop doing womens wrestling for about 7 years until he signed up Alundra Blayze in about 1993

7 year gap? Hardly, there was even a womens tag division around 87-88 and even Sherri Martel was wrestling with WWE in 1989. More like a four year gap.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Everyone likes wrestling for different reasons, some for the athleticism, some for the drama, some for the comedy.

I personally i like being entertained by showmanship, creating the drama well is usually what i like.

So for someone to say wrestling was better back in the day is a very broad term.
    Im not sure if i would agree that wrestling was better say 10, 15 years ago. But i didnt really care about the rasslin side to it back then, but in saying that, i appreciate it now.

So IMO, the story telling has changed, and that includes the back story of wrestlers.
    We can find out anything about anyone, and 9 times out of ten, all you need to do is ask rovert.

But back then there was no rovert, or meltzer, or internet, we took what we were given and we made the rest up ourselves.
    So there was a little more excitment, thought and expectation. Which led to being able to be entertained better.

As for characters, they have just changed with the times, some of the molds are still there to see.
    Bushwakers:Highlanders.
    But then in the age of reality tv that we have we have "real" people as wrestlers. The people who because we can find out from what school they went to to what they ate for lunch last tuesday, so it only makes sense to explain that they are still a person.

John Cena for example, he started his wwe life as a rapper.. a WHITE rapper. which just made him out to be a wannabe eminem, which people saw through straight away.
    He was a modern day "gimmick". But wwe loved him so he was finished that early, he was given the gimmick of John Cena, a man who had fought battles in his life, who reached for his dreams and is able to show inspiration to kids everywhere.

In the days gone, kids looked up to superman, so wwe created superheroes.
    In these days kids know whats real, so wwe created John Cena.

• Advertisement

It wasn’t wikipedia, what are you disputing here anyway? He does a rod in his leg that size.

im not disputing anything!?
    you have a serious attitude problem me son!!

yea crush was cool!! hes passed away now, so dont speak ill off the dead!

i cant really remember to much women wreslting in the period im talking about.
    remember luna- lunatic.

and what is the story with finley and his sidekick hornswoggle?!!
    bit like doink and dink- only a total sterotypical irish character of a man born in belfast that uses a (Shaleili)-cant spell it!

But back then there was no rovert, or meltzer, or internet, we took what we were given and we made the rest up ourselves.
    So there was a little more excitment, thought and expectation. Which led to being able to be entertained better.

****ing hell.

Pardon? Im not the one picking holes for no reason in this thread.

****ing hell.

You surprised at the cheap pop i gave you? :p

Im not sure if i would agree that wrestling was better say 10, 15 years ago. But i didnt really care about the rasslin side to it back then, but in saying that, i appreciate it now.

Hate to break it to you, but Meltzer has been writing for the Observer since around 1983 (i think), it wasn't always a website.

And Americans have had the internet since around 93, 94. Actually they've had it longer than that but not available on the mainstream. :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

yea crush was cool!! hes passed away now, so dont speak ill off the dead!

i cant really remember to much women wreslting in the period im talking about.
    remember luna- lunatic.

and what is the story with finley and his sidekick hornswoggle?!!
    bit like doink and dink- only a total sterotypical irish character of a man born in belfast that uses a (Shaleili)-cant spell it!

img47c054dfdb8e5ll9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Can you not just discuss the topic without making weird comments about rovert who hasn't been short of attention recently?

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    img47c054dfdb8e5ll9.jpg

whats wrong with what i said???

Nope, i actually like the modern product unlike most here.

Guys seriously, this has been a good thread, let's keep it that way.
    Back on topic please. :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

whats wrong with what i said???

I was annoying and made no sense

You certainly were, which is why i reported your post.
    PLEASE! Back on topic.
    VR!

• Advertisement

Guys seriously, this has been a good thread, let's keep it that way.
    Back on topic please. :)

VR!

It would be upgraded to a great thread if you could see all my posts.

Hate to break it to you, but Meltzer has been writing for the Observer since around 1983 (i think), it wasn't always a website.

And Americans have had the internet since around 93, 94. Actually they've had it longer than that but not available on the mainstream. :)

VR!

I didnt make my point clearer enough in my post, but where as i know meltzer has been around that long, what i meant was for us here, in Ireland.
    Sorry about the confusion boss ;)
    Can you not just discuss the topic without making weird comments about rovert who hasn't been short of attention recently?

Wow, back up a second, where is the weird comment?

i was just giving him props to the fact that he knows his stuff.

My gawd, if anyone criticises the guy, people get killed.
    But if i congratulate him in being knowledgeable, thats known as a "weird comment"?

1st off all, i wasnt talking to you
    2nd...your not making much sense.

im not hear to cause arguments or anything,but there seems to be a few hear that take everything as an insult or something.
    bye

I didnt make my point clearer enough in my post, but where as i know meltzer has been around that long, what i meant was for us here, in Ireland.
    Sorry about the confusion boss ;)

Don't worry about it, Wrestling Observer shipped to Ireland once they received your cheque back then. (remember those things? ;) )

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Take it easy lads. No need for the hassle.

Don't worry about it, Wrestling Observer shipped to Ireland once they received your cheque back then. (remember those things? ;) )

VR!

:rolleyes:
    Ok i get it, i botched up there. :pac:

But yeah, Internet, there was definitely no internet back then....

This really is a good thread so far :)

Have to say though, i do much enjoy the way wrestlers are obviously more athletic then they were.
    Obviously adds to the product.

But yeah, Internet, there was definitely no internet back then....

Not in the 80s, well up until 1989, before it finally took off in 92. And that's only the world wide web. Email was around long before that.
    Have to say though, i do much enjoy the way wrestlers are obviously more athletic then they were.
    Obviously adds to the product.

They were athletic in the day, it's just that depending on who you were. I've said this a billion times before and i'll keep saying this. Hogan COULD actually wrestle, it was just a case of the way he was marketed in WWE, he didn't have to use more than five moves. His AWA matches were pretty good to watch, his Japan matches were awesome to watch.

Then you had the likes of Dynamite Kid, Bret Hart, Ricky Steamboat, Randy Savage, all very athletic, and I'm going back just to the stuff i'd seen of them between 83-86.

They were always athletic, WWE just never appreciated that style until they were forced to.

VR!

Edit: Incidently, if you can find some of Savage's work in Midwest and Memphis territories, they're well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Earthquake was athletic, I like him cause he once hurt Hogans leg. I also liked Jimmy Hart cause he wore nice jackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

My pre-teen/teen years coincided with the Attitude Era and I don't think I'll enjoy wrestling like I did back then.

But, I like todays product also. Gems such as Edge, Randy Orton and Jeff Hardy coupled with the experience and consistentcy of Jericho, Michaels and HHH make the the product watchable. However, there is plenty of room for improvement in terms of the writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

callaway92 banned for ignoring a previous warning

The way I see it, as has already been mentioned, you're always going to prefer stuff from your childhood. We'd all be Cena fans if this is what we grew up with. People also tend to forget the negatives of things like that and focus on the positives. There was some really awful stuff during the Attitude era!

• Advertisement

Not in the 80s, well up until 1989, before it finally took off in 92. And that's only the world wide web. Email was around long before that.

yeah 1972, but the web didn't take off till 1994 with the introduction of the first browser and the first e-commerce site but that is a bit off topic

most wrestling fans here in ireland would have at least read stuff like powerslam (on the shop shelves) back in the early 1990s i assume; i know i did :)

Fozzy wrote: »

The way I see it, as has already been mentioned, you're always going to prefer stuff from your childhood. We'd all be Cena fans if this is what we grew up with. People also tend to forget the negatives of things like that and focus on the positives. There was some really awful stuff during the Attitude era!

Indeed.

And what do you mean by awful stuff during the Attitude Era? Val Venis nearly having his knob chopped off was classic TV.:pac:

Fozzy wrote: »

Absolutely, often at the hands of Russo (oh how convenient how the pro WWE people forget this). Things that spring to mind:

British Bulldog/Ken Shamrock dogfood match
    Undertaker/Bossman hell in the cell at Mania XV
    Choppy Choppy your Pee Pee starring Val Venis
    Head and Shoulders at KOTR 98

Even when Russo left, 2000 was a tough year to watch RAW and SD when it was centred around pretty much every McMahon every f*cking week.

Christ, i could go on.
    VR!

yeah 1970, but the web didn't take off till 1994 with the introduction of the first browser and the first e-commerce site but that is a bit off topic

most wrestling fans here in ireland would have at least read stuff like powerslam (on the shop shelves) back in the early 1990s i assume; i know i did :)

Or Pro Wrestling Illustrated ;)
    VR!

Of course i wasn't being serious! Come on! :D

Or Pro Wrestling Illustrated ;)
    VR!

i still actually have a PWI mag from about 1994, the only one i ever bought
    LZ5by5 wrote:
    Indeed.

And what do you mean by awful stuff during the Attitude Era? Val Venis nearly having his knob chopped off was classic TV.

headbangers, the oddities, brawl for all to name three things

the quality of matches on the lower card during the early attitude era left alot to be desired, while wcw had eddie, benoit, jericho malenko, mysterio, booker, chavo etc tearing the house down on ppv, wwe had bob holly, test, al snow, the big boss man in midcard on ppv boring us to tears

the quality of matches on the lower card during the early attitude era left alot to be desired, while wcw had eddie, benoit, jericho malenko, mysterio, booker, chavo etc tearing the house down on ppv, wwe had bob holly, test, al snow, the big boss man in midcard on ppv boring us to tears

Not to mention Kaientai, most poor use of Taka, Togo, Funaki and Teioh if ever there was. Hell, they didn't even get properly over until about two and a half years after their debut, with the exception of Taka who did get over in late 97, but the crowd lost interest in him pretty quick.

The truth commission were another pack of jokes, yet they still kept rehashing Bling Bling Buchannan all the way up until 2003 (when being associated with John Cena didn't mean jack sh*t!) They should have kept Don Callis as a mouthpiece though, he was gold. But Sniper, Recon and Interrogator (Kurrgan) were f*cking sh*t!

Scott Putski anyone?

Dear sweet Jesus, now that i think of it, the Attitude era really wasn't what it was cracked up to be.

VR!

Not to mention Kaientai, most poor use of Taka, Togo, Funaki and Teioh if ever there was. Hell, they didn't even get properly over until about two and a half years after their debut, with the exception of Taka who did get over in late 97, but the crowd lost interest in him pretty quick.

The truth commission were another pack of jokes, yet they still kept rehashing Bling Bling Buchannan all the way up until 2003 (when being associated with John Cena didn't mean jack sh*t!) They should have kept Don Callis as a mouthpiece though, he was gold. But Sniper, Recon and Interrogator (Kurrgan) were f*cking sh*t!

Scott Putski anyone?

Dear sweet Jesus, now that i think of it, the Attitude era really wasn't what it was cracked up to be.

VR!

In truth I know why I was hooked during that Era, and it had absolutely nothing to with the midcard.

Los Boricuas, fake diesel and razor ramon

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    In truth I know why I was hooked during that Era, and it had absolutely nothing to with the midcard.

If you say Naked Mideon, there will be a ban Lzy5by5 campaign beginning!
    VR!

• Advertisement

Los Boricuas, fake diesel and razor ramon

To be honest, i got quite a laugh at Rick Bognor trying to put on Hall's accent and cut a promo on the episode of Superstars in 96. If anything, he served for very short term entertainment.

VR!

If you say Naked Mideon, there will be a ban Lzy5by5 campaign beginning!
    VR!

Naked Mideon? What are you smoking?:pac:

Nah I was just referring to The Rock, Stone Cold and Ministry Undertaker.

Naked Mideon? What are you smoking?:pac:

Nothing, but i wish i had been when i watched No Mercy in 2000!
    VR!

Nothing, but i wish i had been when i watched No Mercy in 2000!
    VR!

Knight returned in a limited capacity in 2000 as Naked Mideon, a comedic persona who ran around arenas wearing only a fanny pack and a thong.

Wikipedia

dry.gif What the hell? I don't remember this, and thank fuck.

Knight returned in a limited capacity in 2000 as Naked Mideon, a comedic persona who ran around arenas wearing only a fanny pack and a thong.

Wikipedia

dry.gif What the hell? I don't remember this, and thank fuck.

I seem to recall there was an episode of Smackdown where he was at a buffet bar and he ends up humping a chicken or something like that. Truly bizarre stuff. Triple H and Katie Vick's corpse had nothing on this.

VR!

Sable? *fap fap fap*

• Advertisement

I seem to recall there was an episode of Smackdown where he was at a buffet bar and he ends up humping a chicken or something like that. Truly bizarre stuff. Triple H and Katie Vick's corpse had nothing on this.

VR!

"Hello? Is there anybody in there? It's me, Kane!":D

I don't know why I am disturbed by a thong wearing Knight. Afterall, I've seen Big Daddy V displaying his......figure, so I've seen it all really.:pac:

Sable? *fap fap fap*

Nope, Chyna.

Nope, Chyna.

I've seen 1 night in... all i'll say is i'd hit it just for the experience! :D
    VR!

I've seen 1 night in... all i'll say is i'd blow it just for the experience! :D
    VR!

If you say so

I've seen 1 night in... all i'll say is i'd hit it just for the experience! :D
    VR!

Dude, never mind Chyna, you actually sat through Waltman getting his rocks?:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement