Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

internet radio station - where to start?

• 11-09-2008 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

hi, we are a group of passionate people thinking about starting our own internet radio station. the problem is that, although I can find some info re regular broadcasts (http://www.craol.ie) there is nothing I can find about the internet streaming. could anyone point me in right direction?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I know I was able to use Winamp in the past to set up livestreaming. But your internet bandwidth will quickly take a hit if you start to get too many listeners.

There are hosted streaming services out there, but I've found them to be a bit on the expensive side.

At my radio station we've recently been experimenting with the video streaming at mogulus.com

http://www.mogulus.com/Near90FM

The audio quality is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I know I was able to use Winamp in the past to set up livestreaming. But your internet bandwidth will quickly take a hit if you start to get too many listeners.

There are hosted streaming services out there, but I've found them to be a bit on the expensive side.

At my radio station we've recently been experimenting with the video streaming at mogulus.com

http://www.mogulus.com/Near90FM

The audio quality is pretty good.

thanks for that, bu I already have a shoutcast server with 100 slots, and have the program Im going to use. I was thinking more about the legal implications and licences not the technical side

anybody?

ok, whats the requirements for setting up regular radio station (apart from getting a licence) do you pay monthly/yearly fees for using commercial music?

can anyone point me in the right direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i used this method before...

1. Download Microsoft Media Encoder.

2. Visit No-ip.org register for free and download their client

3. Setup Media encoder to broadcast audio, and turn on the No-IP client

4. send your friends/ post on a site/ forum etc.. the acddress to your broadcast
    (ie) mms://mykickassradiostation.no-ip.org:3333

it worked for me anyway :D
    Hope this helps mate

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This link may be of some use..

http://www.imro.ie/music_users/music-use-online.shtml

Though, the category I felt was relative to you (LIMITED ONLINE EXPLOITATION LICENCE), doesn't have a link to more info, unlike other sections. You might have to contact them directly.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    This link may be of some use..

http://www.imro.ie/music_users/music-use-online.shtml

Though, the category I felt was relative to you (LIMITED ONLINE EXPLOITATION LICENCE), doesn't have a link to more info, unlike other sections. You might have to contact them directly.

thanks byte, it seems that you as the only one understood what I was asking about. I sent them an email, will let you guys know what was the outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

Hi, I'm interested in knowing as well what's the story with Licence... (for a radio with less than 100 listeners)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    anybody?

ok, whats the requirements for setting up regular radio station (apart from getting a licence) do you pay monthly/yearly fees for using commercial music?

can anyone point me in the right direction?

You don't need a licence if you are just streaming.

Imro (www.imro.ie) the performing rights people will be looking for their share. I have heard of some stations hosting their servers in countries where the performing rights people have less muscle. Maybe a chat with some of the smaller Irish station currently streaming might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

So no licence is needed for an Streaming from an Irish Internet Radio?
    Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

Hey Guys,

I'm a station manager of a radio station, only on the internet, which I would rather not name publicly on this forum for now. We are not currently on the air, as we are expanding and hoping to apply for a temporary broadcast license from the BCI over the coming months.

We broadcast, in the past, using simple internet streaming services. It's quite astounding what options are available, even for a small cost. You will probably know this from your 100 Streaming Slot account, more than likely in Shoutcast format.

At one stage, we did not pay royalties, as we are non commercial. ALL of our profits go to the station- we do not pocket or keep one penny, as the station is a pleasure for us to do, and because we have other projects and jobs on the side. However, we have since reconsidered our practise within the station. We've decided to pay royalties to all our musicians and artists.

As we stand firmly by the idea of promoting and nurturing new talent, as well as established acts, it would by hypocritical, we feel, to play them, promote them and drive success to them, and then not give them a single cent for it.

Legally, you should pay royalties for all copyright content you broadcast. IMRO is an example, and you should be aware of MCPS-PRS too. If you are only a "bedroom DJ" (and I don't mean to sound patronising there by any means!), then you should be okay, with your small listeners, to get away with no licensing, but if you are going to a reasonable size, you should really invest. That said, it doesn't break the bank, and you'll feel much better and more professional doing it.

If you've any further questions, feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

DavidLive wrote: »
    . If you are only a "bedroom DJ" (and I don't mean to sound patronising there by any means!), then you should be okay, with your small listeners, to get away with no licensing, but if you are going to a reasonable size, you should really invest. That said, it doesn't break the bank, and you'll feel much better and more professional doing it.

If you've any further questions, feel free to ask.

Just to clarify When I said no Licence was necessary for internet radio I was talking aboy Broadcast licence not royalties licence. Anyone that plays music in Public is legally required pay the royalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

maybe i missed it but you didn't mention what you're going to be broadcasting?

e.g. if it's a talk show etc obviously you won't need any license.

afaik it will be bound to the location of the server

e.g. if the shoutcast server was in the ise of man you wouldn't have to pay money to imro for example

Advertisement