Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No available ports for BB?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I hope someone can help me understand this.
    I have ordered BT broadband over a month ago.
    They say that the problem is that there are no available ports at the exchange. it is the Johnstown one in Naas, so probably quite small.

Does anyone know how these ports work or what they are. Is it not enough to have a high speed line.
    And if there are no available ports, how do more become available?
    Do eircom have to add more hardware or something:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

Hi, the way it works is all the operators are allocated a certain amount of ports in each exchange based on the forecasts they submit to eircom wholesale. The forecasts have to be submitted almost a year in advance so it can be difficult for the companies to get the balance right. If they don't order enough, they run out of ports (as happened in your case) and have to wait until one of their other customers cancels to free up a port. If they consistently forecast a number that's too high, I think eircom wholesale charge them penalties (as those ports aren't available to other operators for that period)....

So anyway, in relation to you, I suppose what it means is that your broadband can't be set up until someone else cancels or moves to a different exchange or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Order from Eircom and see if any ports "free up".

Advertisement