Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hardware build - advice please?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

:D

Hey guys,

Sorry for yet another one of these threads!

I'm trying to build a new gaming PC (the theme of which is to futureproof as much as possible) but I'm a complete novice when it comes to actually assembling the parts within a budget :pac:

I've decided to go with a quad-core processor and a HD4870 (idea being I can Crossfire it as an upgrade and seems to be better value than the X2 verson). This is where my complete lack of knowledge comes in to play: as little a clue as I have about CPUs and GPUs, I have no inkling as to what I should get for the rest of it (i.e. whats good, what brands, what to watch for and what to avoid)...

I ran through the PC Configurator on hardwareversand and came up with this (dont mind the monitor, that was spur of the momentish ;) ).

If you could give me your opinions/recommendations on it I'd be most appreciative. And I mean opinions on everything, from mobo to cooling, amount of RAM (I put in 8gig cos it brought me just over budget) to cases and overall value.

Budget is roughly €900 (I could stretch it a little if it was worth it).

Thanks.

Advertisement