Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a new car... (4-6k)

Options
  • 11-09-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Lo all, I'm in the market for a used car, looking for something with 4 wheels and 4 doors (you can tell already I know what I'm talking about...) I have about 4-6k to spend.

Last 2 cars were a punto with 101 problems and a daewoo lanos that never failed me until I drove it into the ground. I'm looking for a decent sized car that drives well and maybe looks nice.

Any idea what sort of cars I should be looking at in that price range?

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

peugeot 307
    vw golf
    citroen xsara
    seat leon

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

peugeot 307
    vw golf
    citroen xsara
    seat leon
    Good list of cars to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

00 Audi A4 1.8T, 6,500 you'd get a very clean example.. They also look lovely with minimum effort and drive really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Skoda Octavia 1.4. Have one for 10 months & no probs.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

OP, I hope you don't mind me commenting here, but I am on the same boat. I don't want to spend more than 6k, 8k tops. I am looking at 5 Series at the moment, 00 to 02. Thinking I will go for a 525 as 530 seems to be above my budget. My annual mileage is less than 5k miles, so economy is not the major concern. Thinking of touring (estate) version as well.

From reading various posts here, I know Mondeos are probably better value for money, and Toyota's probably cheaper on the long run...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I have a 01 Skoda Octavia vRS 1.8T 180bhp. They normally go for about 8k+
    I might need to sell quickly as looking at a few cars at the mo.
    I'll let it go for 6k. It's not even up on an add yet!!!! a steal.
    Its a fantastic car, never causes any problems and a great car to drive. Smooth and fast. Read some reviews, its one of the best value cars out there.
    pm me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Honda civic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

another daewoo lanos - you seemed to be happy with the last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Ah that daewoo could never be replaced :P

Looking at a passat at the moment, might be a tad big though, thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

did you look at the link i sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Need more info.

How much mileage do you do?
    How often do you have passengers and how many?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

did you look at the link i sent?

I take it you're pimping your own car there then? ;)

From a Punto and a Lanos to an overpriced 5 series with a 3.5 litre engine. Good grief.

Have a look around for a clean Volvo S/V40 with a full main dealer service history. Should be able to get something around an '02-03 with 60k-ish for that kind of money. Drive it into the ground.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanpaul

Hi,

I might be able to help you - Ive sent you a pm

Regards

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

seanpaul wrote: »
    Hi,

I might be able to help you - Ive sent you a pm

Regards

Sean
    check out some of the car auctions

you will get a lot of car for 4-6k

i was offered a 02 merc for a very cheap price recently around 60% of forecourt price

car dealers are crying out for cash buyers

I drive a bit, to and from work/mates houses and occaisionally down the country on weekends. I wan't something with a good bit of space as I'll be using it to transport musical equipment between venues, something with a decent boot. No Hatchbacks...

I won't be buying any cars off this site so please stop sending me PM's.

Thanks all!

Any opinions on passat / rover 45? 2 I've seen that I like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

AFAIK steer well clear from a rover. Passat are supposed to be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Zangetsu wrote: »

Does anybody still make parts for rovers?
    I'd be inclined to avoid cars from a dead manufacturer to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

Zangetsu, have you considered estate versions? Plenty of high loading space for your music gear and comparable performance to saloon and probably more comfortable too. I am looking 3 series estates at the moment, you could land one from the UK for about 8k. The only thing is that they are all pretty hight mileage (upwards of 100k). I wonder if they are good buy like that, does any one know?

• Advertisement

Estates wouldn't be my thing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I know its boring, but it is hard beat a Toyota Avensis. You should be able to pick up a nice '02 for 6k. Reliable & economical. resell pretty well too.
    Otherwise a 3 seires BMW or a C180 Mercedes. You should pick up a nice '99 C180 or if you search a '00 for your 6k.
    The other option is a '01-'02 Honda Accord 1.8 petrol. Good reputation. Nice car.

the bmw 3 series is pretty fast and trouble free

you can get Alpha Romeos pretty cheap - only prob is they dont like the water -but are a super luxury drive

Zangetsu wrote: »
    I'd avoid the Rover - could be a nightmare getting parts for it.

Passat - within your budget you'd be looking at the older model. Very good car. Brought a 1.8T and 1.9TDI over from the UK last year and was quite impressed by them as an all-round car. Wasn't mad impressed by the petrol turbo, felt like you had to rev it quite a bit to make decent progress, and the fuel consumption was awful. Even at motorway cruising speeds it was very hard to get a good return. The diesel would be a much better option - especially if you can source one of the 130bhp models. Avoid the 1.6 petrol though - lethargic doesn't even come close.

Top Dog wrote: »
    I'd avoid the Rover - could be a nightmare getting parts for it.

Passat - within your budget you'd be looking at the older model. Very good car. Brought a 1.8T and 1.9TDI over from the UK last year and was quite impressed by them as an all-round car. Wasn't mad impressed by the petrol turbo, felt like you had to rev it quite a bit to make decent progress, and the fuel consumption was awful. Even at motorway cruising speeds it was very hard to get a good return. The diesel would be a much better option - especially if you can source one of the 130bhp models. Avoid the 1.6 petrol though - lethargic doesn't even come close.
    rover are ok

rovers didnt make their own engines so its whats under the bonnet that counts - high spec - but very little resale value so you could get a cheap car.

passat - i agree - correct me but isnt the skoda octavia the same as it with a different badge. Same dog different hair. You could get a lower mileage Octavia or a better year if you are not to stuck on having a VW badge.

Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the Rover, friend had one for years without much trouble. Only pointing out that it might be difficult finding parts.

And yes, Octavia and Passat are much the same alright. Take off the badges and many would confuse the 2 of them.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the Rover, friend had one for years without much trouble. Only pointing out that it might be difficult finding parts.

And yes, Octavia and Passat are much the same alright. Take off the badges and many would confuse the 2 of them.
    a friend of mine got a rover 75 for peanuts and its a lovely motor leather interior etc

my only point is they are very very cheap and you could get lucky

you are right though - if ya have a problem and dont know someone who is a handy mechanic- but if you need something totally reliable and dont want risk stay away from rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Have a look around for a clean Volvo S/V40 with a full main dealer service history. Should be able to get something around an '02-03 with 60k-ish for that kind of money. Drive it into the ground.....

That's what I'm looking to get, again 3-5K euro mark.

Saw a 01/02 S40 for 3700 on Gumtree a week ago, mileage was ~70ish iirc, private sale.

• Advertisement

Is 80/90k miles alot on a car? that seems to be the average I can see on the passats in my price range.

Also saw a 1990 BMW 316i E30 for 3450 euro with 77k on the clock, what you guys thing?

Advertisement