Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journey Time To Terminal 5

• 11-09-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me how long it takes to transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5 at Heathrow.
    To give you details of my flight, I arrive in T1,with EI, at 08:05 and depart from T5 at 10:05. I bought the flights through BA so I can only assume they know this is plenty of time, but could anyone tell me of their experince which might help a shorter transfer.
    I hope to check in my bags at DUB all the way thru to LAX.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you are just going from one to the other, its not too long as the heathrow express does it in about 3 minutes, they come every 15 minutes and the station is about a ten minute walk from arrivals hall at T1.

However, I'm not sure what the rules are for transfer passengers, there are signs taking you a different directions I believe.

Do you have a through ticket? if so then you should be ok because your luggage will go from plane to the other quite quickly now the problems are sorted out (Or you may never see it again) and once that's on they will wait until you turn up(within reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/Heathrow%5EGbl%5EHeathrow%5EGeneral%5EAirport+information%5EFlight+Connections/b810e73955c28110VgnVCM20000039821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

The above link maybe of some help.

If you do not use this way you can use the Heathrow Express but make sure it is the Heathrow Express and not Heathrow Connect. Connect serves Terminal 4 only. Express serve's Terminal 5 only.
    The quick way to the Express station from Terminal 1 is when the automatic doors open and you enter arrivals you can turn right and use the lifts. Not all the lifts go down to the Express station.

Instead of turning right you can otherwise look in front of you and use the escalator or stairs down to the next level and when reaching it look out in front of you and to the right. You will see a Heathrow Express desk and to the right auto doors. Through the doors and turn left and down 2 escalators and you are there.

On reaching Terminal 5 use the lifts. It will take you non stop to Departures. These lifts will only stop at arrivals on the way down. No need to press any buttons. Sayig that you can use the doors open and close buttons. These lifts on stopping at a floor and detecting no movement can stay there. Use the Doors close button.

Your LAX flight will leave from Terminal 5B. You will be taking a train from T5A to T5B. It runs underground. Gates 1 to 27 are T5A and Gates 31 to 48 are in T5B.
    T5C is under construction an upon completion T5D will start. If you are arriving in LHR on Fri, Sat or Sun you should turn right off 27L and on your left see the fire station. This is where T5D will be and you may also see a Singapore A380 parked up there if it has been towed from Terminal 3.

When are you flying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Arrived in Vancouver yesterday after doing T1 to T5, can't sleep so tell you how I got on...:D

Was due to fly @ 13:40 with EI to land @ 14:55, then connect on to 17:10 BA flight to Vancouver.

Flight from Dublin left nearly an hour late, we landed in LHR @ 15:40 but had a very short taxi and were on stand @ 15:45. I was in an aisle seat in row 13, so was up and moving pretty quickly, managed to catch a Heathrow Express train to T5 just after 16:10 and was in T5 @ 16:15. I'd checked my bags through, and had checked in online with BA so had my boarding pass, but I had to go to a desk for them to check my passport and boarding pass before I could go through security. It takes no more than 5mins to do that, but it's worth checking with BA before you fly if you'll need to do that.

Security queue took about 5 minutes, I was departing from the B gates so turned right after security and went down a set of escalators, then down in a lift to the transit train for the short hop to the B gates.

In total it took me 1hr, and there was no time for hanging around. Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dolphie

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

Flying tomorrow morning @06:40. Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Just to let you know that another stage of the move to T5 went ahead last Wednesday. Move 2.6 it was called. No! Don't ask. I have no idea why it was called that. It appears to have gone ok! It should be a lot busier than when therecklessone traveled.

You are lucky! You missed 'service alterations' on the Heathrow Express by one day. They start Sunday.

May I repeat that when you arrive in Terminal 5 use the lifts which will bring you directly to departures. The escalators will bring you to the arrivals level outside the terminal and end there. Again you will notice the lifts beside you and this is where a lot of passengers get confused. You must take the lift down to the Heathrow Express then come back up directly to get too departures.

Hopefully the BA279 goes ok. It was only 9 minutes late departing this morning. All staff were :eek:

Edit! The BA279 departed on time, 10:05hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Foggy,

Are BA moving their domestic flights to T5 as well?

Any idea what the changes are for at the irish departure gates as well? they put barriers in so arrival passengers don't mix with departing passengers, is this a security thing or are there more changes afoot at T1? I know there's a lot going there.

Advertisement