Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Fees in relation to the Student Centre Extension

Options
  • 11-09-2008 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Evening folks,

just been in the Tierney building there trying to sort out my fees, I asked how come last year I only had to pay 103euro (I've got the grant \o/), when this year it is 150euro.

I was a bit stunned by the lady's reply. She told me about some referendum a few years ago (before I started in UCD) that meant students were required to pay for the 'extension' of the current student centre. This is something I haven't heard of until today. :o Apparently, that 150euro that my grant wont cover is my payment ''for the new student centre building that still hasn't been built''.

She then expressed her dispproval at the whole thing and said that, at the time, it was a big deal on campus and all the students were asked to vote.

I'm just posting for more information on it all to be pefectly honest. I know very little about it and I'd like to know more. If, in a nutshell, students are forced to pay for the building of a new student centre (that still hasn't been started), then it is a disgrace but surely there's more to it than that? Is there?

I don't want to form an opinion on it one way or another until I actually know what's what but I don't particularily want to pay for something that I had no say in to begin with.

View/opinions etc.. please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It is a bit stupid. The current facilities don't appear to be under any strain at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Sean_K wrote: »
    It is a bit stupid. The current facilities don't appear to be under any strain at all.

So is this all true?

Is the euro150 fee there in order to pay for a centre that doesn't exsist?

I apologise if I come across as ignorant here but I genuinely was not aware of this until today. Surely I'm not the only student who doesn't know the 'ins and outs' of the whole situation. :confused:

either that or I need to pay more attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

MizzLolly wrote: »
    So is this all true?

Is the euro150 fee there in order to pay for a centre that doesn't exsist?

I apologise if I come across as ignorant here but I genuinely was not aware of this until today. Surely I'm not the only student who doesn't know the 'ins and outs' of the whole situation. :confused:

either that or I need to pay more attention!
    Yup it's true, I believe it's itemised on the website when you go to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I thought it was for the existing centre? The whole thing is crazy. That building is under 10 years old and will basically be obsolete 'when' the new one is built.

Oooh I see!! :eek:

Have there been any kind of protests to it? Have the SU become involved/said anything on the matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

waaaambulance-23284.jpg

It's going to have a ****load of new facilities, including a new swimming pool and, I believe, a gym and it'll be free for you because of the money you put towards the building of it.

33% God wrote: »
    It's going to have a ****load of new facilities, including a new swimming pool and, I believe, a gym and it'll be free for you because of the money you put towards the building of it.

That's hardly what can be called 'free'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

That's hardly what can be called 'free'.
    As in you won't have to pay membership.
    Nobody likes a pendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was a bit stunned by the lady's reply. She told me about some referendum a few years ago (before I started in UCD) that meant students were required to pay for the 'extension' of the current student centre. This is something I haven't heard of until today. :o Apparently, that 150euro that my grant wont cover is my payment ''for the new student centre building that still hasn't been built''.

She then expressed her dispproval at the whole thing and said that, at the time, it was a big deal on campus and all the students were asked to vote.
    Ah, I remember voting a big fat NO on this one. It passed because most UCD students are completely apathetic about stuff like this, especially when they think "ah I'll be gone, it won't affect me".

Tbh - the SU has *much* bigger issues it could be working on than building a bigger Student Centre. But as we all know student politics is about ego-stroking rather than dealing with real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Oooh I see!! :eek:

Have there been any kind of protests to it? Have the SU become involved/said anything on the matter?

The SU are behind the move.

Dun-Dun-Dunnnnnn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Rainbow kirby, while I agree with you that many UCD students are apathetic about anything they're asked to vote on, some people did actually support the building of a new centre. Please don't label me and others like me as apathetic simply because we disagreed with you.

MizzLolly, I understand that you find it annoying that you had no say, but the students at the time decided for the student body, of which you are now part. You didn't have any say in Ireland joining the EU either but here we are. At some point a decision has to be made on things, and they'll inevitably affect people further down the line. At least the students at the time had a say on the issue; in my old school we were forced to pay for a new school building on which work was due to commence in 2002: the work still hasn't started.

The new centre will provide substantially improved, purpose-built facilities for student societies, as well as the aforementioned gym and swimming pool. I haven't been able to dig up any of the old information brochures on the SU website, I'm sure some of the more active union members on here will throw some up before long.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd prefer the L&H to fund its own "House of Lords" mockup thank you very much.

Things like a swimming pool are standard kit in all major european universities ... i suspect the vote would have been NO only that people knew this was the only chance of getting a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

The referendum was held in the spring of 2007. What I've learned from my time in UCD that if ANYTHING goes wrong, the finger is pointed at the SU. The student union were about 50:50 on it, with half it's active members being for, and half against. Infact it was the clubs and societies that rallied together in support of it. I was an officer at the time and we had a speech about it from the man involved. I can tell you this whole thing was met with quite a bit of disapproval from the lot of us due to the lack of concrete information that they would give us, like when it'd be done (they initially gave us a date of building work would start in June 2008) and if we'd get anything out of it for having to pay for it. At the time, not one person in the room would have benefited from paying for it. Total costs rank up to about 300 useless euros in my case

I myself was against it. I have nothing against them building a new building but what I didn't get was why we, a group of people who don't get to use it, have to pay for it.

We will get 3-6 months membership only of the gym, depending on how many years we spent paying for it. Its due to be completed in December 2010

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'd prefer the L&H to fund its own "House of Lords" mockup thank you very much.
    Not in the L & H myself but I've no problem with the student body as a whole funding facilities for student societies. Without them, life in UCD would be pretty boring.

33% God wrote: »
    As in you won't have to pay membership.
    Nobody likes a pendant.

Really?!
    Breezer wrote: »
    Rainbow kirby, while I agree with you that many UCD students are apathetic about anything they're asked to vote on, some people did actually support the building of a new centre. Please don't label me and others like me as apathetic simply because we disagreed with you.

MizzLolly, I understand that you find it annoying that you had no say, but the students at the time decided for the student body, of which you are now part. You didn't have any say in Ireland joining the EU either but here we are. At some point a decision has to be made on things, and they'll inevitably affect people further down the line. At least the students at the time had a say on the issue; in my old school we were forced to pay for a new school building on which work was due to commence in 2002: the work still hasn't started.
    The new centre will provide substantially improved, purpose-built facilities for student societies, as well as the aforementioned gym and swimming pool. I haven't been able to dig up any of the old information brochures on the SU website, I'm sure some of the more active union members on here will throw some up before long.

Everything I've put in bold here is a cause of concern for me. I'm beginning to understand why the girl today was so annoyed by it all. You say I'm part of the student body which voted 'yes' to this so I should just grin and bare it?! I wasn't even in UCD when this happened, it has nothing to do with me, I most likely wont benefit from it and yet I have to contribute to the payment of it??

You say we're lucky that we're not forced to pay it? As far as I can see, I am being forced to pay for it. I must pay the euro150 registration fee (that conveniently the grant wont cover) in order to cover the cost of something I had no say in?

I was refused a new student card today and told that I would not get one until that euro150 is paid, how do you figure I have not been forced to pay this?

Breezer, I understand your point, I know that in your own opinion, the student body voted 'yes' and I am part of the student body. I'm not making a dig at you in slightest but I don't think any of it is fair. Can you appreciate it on a more personal level? I mentioned already I'm on the grant, if my financial situation enables me to recieve the government grant, do you really think I appreciate being told that I have to pay for something I wont benefit from and that I had no say in? It is wasted money to me personally, yet I have to pay it.

When exactly do they plan on even starting this new centre?

And why does the grant not cover it? That seems crazy! I'd have no problem paying that money if I thought it actually was a 'registration' fee but it's not. It's there in order to pay for some decision I don't agree with in the first place..:eek:

Again, not attacking anyone and Breezer don't take it personally, I'm just not convinced by the whole 'project'. Opinions are appreciated and Breezer if you feel you have answers to my above questions please feel free to share them aswell.

MizzLolly, I do appreciate where you're coming from, absolutely. Unfortunately, that's the way democracy of any description works. I had no say in whether or not Ireland joined the EU because I wasn't born. Similarly, to use a more recent example, I did have a say last year as to which political parties formed the government. If you look at my sig, you'll see that I quite clearly didn't get what I wanted. On a personal level, I might object to a Minister for Education whom I didn't vote for strongly hinting that I'll have to pay college fees in the near future. But if it comes to that, and he won't budge, then I'll have to grin and bear it because the people of Ireland, which includes me, collectively put this man and his party into Office.

The grant doesn't cover it because it was brought in only to cover the registration fee. Similarly, the Free Fees initiative only covers tuition fees, which is why I have had to pay a higher and higher registration fee every year. Again, that's political agreements for you.

Now, on a much more personal level: if you genuinely feel you will have difficulty paying this then there is a student hardship fund administered by the SU. If you have a talk with the Welfare Officer then the Union may be able to do something for you, that's what the fund is there for :)

Really?!

Everything I've put in bold here is a cause of concern for me. I'm beginning to understand why the girl today was so annoyed by it all. You say I'm part of the student body which voted 'yes' to this so I should just grin and bare it?! I wasn't even in UCD when this happened, it has nothing to do with me, I most likely wont benefit from it and yet I have to contribute to the payment of it??

You say we're lucky that we're not forced to pay it? As far as I can see, I am being forced to pay for it. I must pay the euro150 registration fee (that conveniently the grant wont cover) in order to cover the cost of something I had no say in?

I was refused a new student card today and told that I would not get one until that euro150 is paid, how do you figure I have not been forced to pay this?

Breezer, I understand your point, I know that in your own opinion, the student body voted 'yes' and I am part of the student body. I'm not making a dig at you in slightest but I don't think any of it is fair. Can you appreciate it on a more personal level? I mentioned already I'm on the grant, if my financial situation enables me to recieve the government grant, do you really think I appreciate being told that I have to pay for something I wont benefit from and that I had no say in? It is wasted money to me personally, yet I have to pay it.

When exactly do they plan on even starting this new centre?

And why does the grant not cover it? That seems crazy! I'd have no problem paying that money if I thought it actually was a 'registration' fee but it's not. It's there in order to pay for some decision I don't agree with in the first place..:eek:

Again, not attacking anyone and Breezer don't take it personally, I'm just not convinced by the whole 'project'. Opinions are appreciated and Breezer if you feel you have answers to my above questions please feel free to share them aswell.

They're starting it next March. No you will not get free membership of the gym, but you will be allowed use say the debating room if you prebook it. And I really don't know why you are annoyed. 90% of the people who voted on it, payed money towards it, but will never get to use it (The other 10% being people who did postgrads or were doing medicine). Unless you're doing a 3 year degree and then hop out of here, you'll get to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The one thing that really irks me about it is the 'debating chamber' that is planned. Whats the point? There are dozens of perfectly adequate theatres

Breezer wrote: »
    MizzLolly, I do appreciate where you're coming from, absolutely. Unfortunately, that's the way democracy of any description works. I had no say in whether or not Ireland joined the EU because I wasn't born. Similarly, to use a more recent example, I did have a say last year as to which political parties formed the government. If you look at my sig, you'll see that I quite clearly didn't get what I wanted. On a personal level, I might object to a Minister for Education whom I didn't vote for strongly hinting that I'll have to pay college fees in the near future. But if it comes to that, and he won't budge, then I'll have to grin and bear it because the people of Ireland, which includes me, collectively put this man and his party into Office.

The grant doesn't cover it because it was brought in only to cover the registration fee. Similarly, the Free Fees initiative only covers tuition fees, which is why I have had to pay a higher and higher registration fee every year. Again, that's political agreements for you.

Now, on a much more personal level: if you genuinely feel you will have difficulty paying this then there is a student hardship fund administered by the SU. If you have a talk with the Welfare Officer then the Union may be able to do something for you, that's what the fund is there for :)

Student hardship fund? Where exactly did you read that I cannot get the money for it? I said already I have the grant and I work. My issue isn't that I can't get the money to pay it, it's that I shouldn't have to pay so much on something I disagree with in the first place.

And it most definately should not be called a 'registration' fee.
    gubbie wrote: »
    They're starting it next March. No you will not get free membership of the gym, but you will be allowed use say the debating room if you prebook it. And I really don't know why you are annoyed. 90% of the people who voted on it, payed money towards it, but will never get to use it (The other 10% being people who did postgrads or were doing medicine). Unless you're doing a 3 year degree and then hop out of here, you'll get to use it

The statistics mean very little to me gubbie. I don't think putting a euro150 charge on a student who probably wont ever use it is fair. I can't see the debating room being of particular importance to me either

What about the students who do leave after a 3 year degree? How will they benefit?

I'd also like to hear a little more from the students who don't agree with the fee.. I'm interested in hearing both sides..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ok, just one point I'd like to make, regarding paying for something you don't want to pay for... I don't particularly want to pay taxes to fund certain things, but in for a penny, in for a pound. You can't choose based on your own individual desires all the time. That's not how democratic societies work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I cant afford the 150 as I am on a grant. I agree with the project but why should those less well off be forced to the edge of a cliff financially.

The statistics mean very little to me gubbie. I don't think putting a euro150 charge on a student who probably wont ever use it is fair. I can't see the debating room being of particular importance to me either

What about the students who do leave after a 3 year degree? How will they benefit?

The point is, its not just "student", it's students. You are not alone in this. Would you prefer if I said that there will be about 40,000 people coming into this place that will pay for it, but never use it. Yes 22,000 of these got to choose, but about 4,000 of these voted and about 3,000 voted yes.
    I'd also like to hear a little more from the students who don't agree with the fee.. I'm interested in hearing both sides..

If you bothered to read my other post you will see that I was on the no side. And I even gave you a breakdown of who was on the yes and no sides. But it has gotten to the stage where there are more important things to worry about then this €150 extra charge. And €150... you can make that in Ireland in 2 days working... or in a month in Kazakhstan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Gubbie, we all know that these elections tend to be voted in only by a small number of people who are already involved in the SU. Judging by the general trend of voter turnout 75% of people in UCD are either not interested or not informed. The other 25% are hacks .....

Grimes wrote: »
    Gubbie, we all know that these elections tend to be voted in only by a small number of people who are already involved in the SU. Judging by the general trend of voter turnout 75% of people in UCD are either not interested or not informed. The other 25% are hacks .....

You're saying that there's 5,500 hacks? Or by ... did you mean ...'s friends who the hacks managed to talk into voting

Student hardship fund? Where exactly did you read that I cannot get the money for it? I said already I have the grant and I work. My issue isn't that I can't get the money to pay it, it's that I shouldn't have to pay so much on something I disagree with in the first place.
    I've just read over the whole thread again and I can't see where you said you work. Admittedly it's 3am and I may have missed it. What you did say was:
    I mentioned already I'm on the grant, if my financial situation enables me to recieve the government grant, do you really think I appreciate being told that I have to pay for something I wont benefit from and that I had no say in?
    which to me suggested that finance was a worry for you and this was yet another expense. I'm sorry if I took you up wrong, I was only trying to be helpful, no offence meant.

But you need to realise that in a democratic society we sometimes have to do things we don't want to do, because the majority of people want to do them. Is it a fair system? Hell no. Is there a better system? None that I know of.

I can think of one alternative system for this particular situation: build the centre first, then place the levy on current and future students. I was not in any way involved with planning the project so I can only assume that capital was needed upfront, and that is why this wasn't done. In any case, the point is moot: the decision has been made.

This is exactly the same as a referendum being held when you are 17: you have no say, you may have voted the other way if you had had a say, but you still have to live with the result along with everyone else. I'm not trying to have a go at you here MizzLolly, I'm just trying to make the point that we all have to respect the workings of democracy, whether that's at a national level or within a college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Evening folks,

just been in the Tierney building there trying to sort out my fees, I asked how come last year I only had to pay 103euro (I've got the grant \o/), when this year it is 150euro.

I'm just posting for more information on it all to be pefectly honest. I know very little about it and I'd like to know more. If, in a nutshell, students are forced to pay for the building of a new student centre (that still hasn't been started), then it is a disgrace but surely there's more to it than that? Is there?

I don't want to form an opinion on it one way or another until I actually know what's what but I don't particularily want to pay for something that I had no say in to begin with.

View/opinions etc.. please :)

Aight, Lols.

In essence, we got fúcked.

UCD's organisation is a load of shíte. Numerous threads will prove that. What's particularly shameful though, is the treatment of students by the college. In UCD, we pay a €1000 or so 'registration' which pays for our membership of the student union. Now I'm drunk, so 'in vino veritas.' I did my leaving in 05. This is my fourth year in UCD. In all that time the people involved in SU politics have proved themselves a shower of self absorbed wánkers and prícks with no interests in anything other than themselves. (Ban me if you like, it's the truth.) The utter indifference of those people to ordinary students is beyond pathetic. They're scum. We as students are thus left to pay the bills for all of this crap. There's absolutely nothing we can do. It's unfair, and it's immoral. I hate it, but I'm helpless. And that is UCD for you. I would not recommend to a single person that they come here. Because this kind of behaviour is par for the course.
    Ah, I remember voting a big fat NO on this one. It passed because most UCD students are completely apathetic about stuff like this, especially when they think "ah I'll be gone, it won't affect me".

Tbh - the SU has *much* bigger issues it could be working on than building a bigger Student Centre. But as we all know student politics is about ego-stroking rather than dealing with real issues.

This is what I despise about our college.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The reason anybody voted for the damned thing was the swimming pool. Which leads me to think that the reason the pool was included in it was to essentially hold a hammer over the student body. Whether it was the SU or the college administration that thought up the idea I don't know. I'm sure the pool will be a nice facility when it's done, other than that, the centre is a white elephant. A debating chamber is patently not necessary, there are plenty of theatres, with more coming on stream. Neither are a few more of the hairbrained ideas included in that centre.

Trinity's pool is not run, built or controlled by the SU. Neither is DCU's - a very nice looking facility by the way. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the SU have no business or competence in being involved in sports facilities. It should have been built as a central part of the university infrastructure, as a stand-alone facility open to all with a student/staff card for possibly a nominal charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

here here

In all that time the people involved in SU politics have proved themselves a shower of self absorbed wánkers and prícks with no interests in anything other than themselves. (Ban me if you like, it's the truth.) The utter indifference of those people to ordinary students is beyond pathetic. They're scum. We as students are thus left to pay the bills for all of this crap. There's absolutely nothing we can do. It's unfair, and it's immoral. I hate it, but I'm helpless.
    You're not helpless. If you don't like the way the union is run, vote for someone else, or get involved yourself and change things.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote: »
    Trinity's pool is not run, built or controlled by the SU.

The SU in Trinity has nothing to do with the Sports Clubs or Societies... however, back from around '98 to '02 there was a levy which Trinity students agreed to which was worth a couple of million which was ringfenced purely for the building of the new Sports Centre. Was something like £50 a year. So while the college (or possibly private contibutors) put a higher % towards such a building, the original pool of cash (excuse the pun) from the students did go towards the building of the Sports Centre.

Incidentally, there's a levy now in Trinity for students for the use of the Sports Centre - was €70 a year. There were exemptions made for students who were experiencing hardship which would cover grants, BTEA, Student Assistance Fund etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement