Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Fees in relation to the Student Centre Extension

Options
13»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Some of us can't find a part-time job, even though they have been looking.

In fact I thought it was interesting the number of people I saw in Dundrum TC today with a few CV's in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There was a picture in the Indo today of over 1,000 people attending a jobs fair in Dundrum for 133 (mostly retail) jobs...

Sign of the times.

Me - I'm getting as far away from this ****hole as possible once I graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im going to move to the Northside and set up a Soul band from an unlikely bunch of chip shop employees and bus conductors

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Red Alert wrote: »
    why the SU acquiesced to the college 'outsourcing' the pool?

How do you mean outsourcing? There's no way the SU could have funded it, it's being half financed by the government as it is... Maybe the cash came with an agreement to make it open access?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There was a picture in the Indo today of over 1,000 people attending a jobs fair in Dundrum for 133 (mostly retail) jobs...

Sign of the times.

Me - I'm getting as far away from this ****hole as possible once I graduate.

Me too - which means that I'll probably never get my six months of free swimming pool access :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i remember voting no indeed. why would i want a cinema screen on campus? goodbye money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Sign of the times.

While we're all so off-topic: a clerical officer position in the place I worked in over the summer attracted something like 170 applicants.

2qs_gdp.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Why doesn't UCD pay students to build it? Two birds, one stone.

I couldn't get a job this summer. I spent about a month looking, to no avail. Cue a very boring summer for me. Had it not been for savings from my last job, I'd have been shagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You have no idea what my financial situation is but you can obviously guess that it is bad if I cannot get type of scratch. There were no jobs for me this summer, but in previous summers it was easier to find work so therefore I could pay. It seems that you are bitter at me for getting my education for free. Is that you Batt O'Keefe?:pac::pac::pac:

Yup, it's me. How did you guess?

I'm not bitter, but if you look at your situation, can you imagine how much worse it must be to also not have had a summer job, be ineligible for a grant and have to find about €900 on top of what you've got to pay, in addition to having no support throughout the year?

Be thankful that you get a grant, however big or small it is, because there are people out there who get scratch.

At the end of the day, we all had to contribute to the stupid bloody student centre, whether we used it or not. As I said before, it's part of a democratic society - you have to pay for the things you don't want, in the same way that others have to pay for the things you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Hmmm. Never post drunkenly seems to be the lesson here.

As regards Steph, I apologise for refering to you as scum.

Poorly chosen word, but that's a night on the sauce for you. I stand by most of what I said. You gave a very good example about yourself, but here's the thing, I still don't believe you're right. You obviously went well above and beyond the call of duty, so fair fúcks to you, but trust me, you're not the usual.

My class had a decent rep, who happened to be a reasonable bloke with a screwed on head. Despite this, he lost his position to someone who completely ignored the students but promised loads of great parties. (Something he singularly failed to deliever.)

As for the SU itself, well, I've never seen much evidence of them doing much other than posturing. I've seen a fair few political statements from SU members and their ilk, and I;ve seen lots of students ignored.

Oh and have I ever gone to an Ents night out, not since First year, and even then I found that they were usually pretty poor, and the guys in charge of Ents were usually pretty arrogant and not that great at catering for anything approaching a minority. Free condoms? Nah, my ex used the pill. SU shop, well guilty of that one. UCD's SU doesn't really do much. Ask the vast majority of students about it and they'll give you a blank stare. Way back when, I remember when this forum was stuffed full of people who were seriously into all that stuff. Well they're not a representative majority. Far from it. Most people know nothing and care less about the Union and its politics.

Again, I wholeheartedly apologise for insulting you, but I still remain thoroughly unconvinced by our SU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I can't believe someone is complaining about having to pay an extra 50 squids, I have to pay £3150 for the FIRST year of my course ffs! Stop whining

Do you live at home?
    gubbie wrote: »
    If you bothered to read my other post you will see that I was on the no side. And I even gave you a breakdown of who was on the yes and no sides. But it has gotten to the stage where there are more important things to worry about then this €150 extra charge. And €150... you can make that in Ireland in 2 days working... or in a month in Kazakhstan

Excuse me gubbie but if you cannot learn to reply in a decent manner do not bother at all. How dare you take that tone with me? I do work and I pay my own rent aswell, thanks.

The issue is not that I can't get the euro150, it's that I do not appreciate being told it is a 'registration fee' when the grant doesn't even cover it.

Don't you dare suggest that I don't know the value of money or how many days it takes to earn a certain amount.
    someone has to pay - Is it not a good thing that there will be better facilities for future UCD students??

No, in a nutshell.
    Blush_01 wrote: »
    Do you have a college loan?

Some of us didn't get a grant, worked part-time and got loans to finance college. Not affording €150 (when you're only being asked to pay €150, and not over €1000) is a joke. Especially when you're being GIVEN money for college.
    Your post is not only offensive but incredibley upsetting. How dare you?!!

How is it a joke? Do you live at home? You make it sound like we're just handed the money for the craic of it.. That was not only an utterly stupid comment to make but you've displayed yourself as an incredibley ignorant individual.
    Some of us can't find a part-time job, even though they have been looking.

True. Some of us can and work while in college. Have they any f*cking idea how hard it can be to actually need to work and to know if you lose your job, you lose your home, you lose your chance to stay in college..etc...??

Those last few quoted posts sickened me, I'll leave it here as I have nothing pleasant to say about these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Right, I'm locking this little off-topic trainwreck (although if you want a real trainwreck, check the Down Syndrome thread in AH).

Everyone needs to cool off.

If I get requests to reopen it I might do it in a day or so; for now, just chillax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

in before lock:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sean_K wrote: »
    in before lock:p
    Goddam it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement