Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to charge Nokia 6310i in Canada

• 11-09-2008 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a connector plug and my usual charger to charge my Nokia when on holiday in Canada?

If it is not, and I buy a Nokia charger in Canada will it work with my Irish phone?

Any help most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Read what it says on the charger, if it says 110v then you can just buy an adapter and plug it in. It almost certainly does say this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i would go as far as to say your charger will definitely work but if for some reason it doesn't an american one will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The alternative is to bring your nokia phone into any phone shop in Canada, they'll be able to sell you a local charger and they're not very expensive.

In general, I find this a better solution as they tend to actually stay in the sockets better. US/Canada sockets are pretty flimsy affairs that don't tend to hold much weight hanging off the pins. (Unlike the brutes that we use in Ireland, the UK or its Northern European cousin) I found adaptors tended to just fall out!

Check the front of your charger it will usually say something like

100V - 240V 50Hz/60Hz

If so, that covers the entire planet's electrical systems.

The USA and Canada use 110V 60Hz
    Ireland and the rest of the EU use 230V 50Hz

All you need to do is buy a simple plug adaptor, you don't need a voltage adaptor.

Grounded%20Adapter%20-%20England%20UK%20to%20USA_medium.jpg

This will let you connect a Ireland/UK plug to a US/Canada socket without changing the voltage.

Usually laptop chargers, phone chargers, camera chargers etc can cope with any normal power supply in most parts of the world.

Just check the voltage labels.

Just don't do this:

electric-overload.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Many thanks for all the advice.

Love the photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are better off getting the 2 pin US adaptor as most sockets in North America are not earthed. They also have polarised sockets i.e. one hole is slightly larger than the other. For this reason adaptors bought in Europe fall out.

You can buy a cheap nokia phone in Walmart for under $20 it will have the correct charger included and it will stand put in any socket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement