Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neverwinter Nights

Options
  • 11-09-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Wanted to put this in Massive Multiplayer but I suppose this would not be considered as Massive Multiplayer anymore...

Basically does anyone still play Neverwinter Nights?
    Thought this was a fantastic game, recently found it on my shelf and was thinking might install it on my laptop.
    But before I do jsut wondering is there still any sort of community playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I tried to get into it after liking Baldur's Gate but just couldn't. It felt like playing a construction set where more work had been put into creating the construction tools rather than the content. There was no atmosphere, just felt lifeless.

Got the sequel and that was even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I quite liked it. Hordes of the Underdark is pretty awesome too. Never played the Multiplayer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

quarryman wrote: »
    I tried to get into it after liking Baldur's Gate but just couldn't. It felt like playing a construction set where more work had been put into creating the construction tools rather than the content. There was no atmosphere, just felt lifeless.

Felt this exactly, but after I went back to it I really likely it. The expansions tend to be much better than the original campaigns though. Same for NW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Frisbee wrote: »
    Wanted to put this in Massive Multiplayer but I suppose this would not be considered as Massive Multiplayer anymore...

Basically does anyone still play Neverwinter Nights?
    Thought this was a fantastic game, recently found it on my shelf and was thinking might install it on my laptop.
    But before I do jsut wondering is there still any sort of community playing?

As far as I know there's still a pretty big community playing, I'd check out the Neverwinter Nights Forum over at the Bioware site to meet up with people if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is a group being put together to play NWN 2 in the rpg forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Totally. Whilst I played the game through the entire thing just seemed fake, it always felt like corridor tile followed by corridor tile here we placed two goblins and door tile and an open generic room tile and bleh never sucked me in. Was also really easy if I remember. Never particularly felt challenged at all.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    There is a group being put together to play NWN 2 in the rpg forum.

NWN 2 sucks complete balls. I think I made it to the end of the tutorial before my hatred of the camera and interface made me almost throw my mouse out the window. What a pile of shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

I enjoyed the expansions to no. 1 more than I did the original.

No. 2 I found unplayable. I couldn't play past the tutorial, because, of course, of that feckin camera!

I genuinely enjoyed no. 1, though.

Totally. Whilst I played the game through the entire thing just seemed fake, it always felt like corridor tile followed by corridor tile here we placed two goblins and door tile and an open generic room tile and bleh never sucked me in. Was also really easy if I remember. Never particularly felt challenged at all.

I played the bulk of the modules/expansions and some really good player created ones as multiplayer party games with people at home or over the net,
    that I found made a lot of difference

NWN 2 sucks complete balls. I think I made it to the end of the tutorial before my hatred of the camera and interface made me almost throw my mouse out the window. What a pile of shyte.

I completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Afaik, they fixed the camera and laggy FPS in later patch. As a game, NWN2 is pretty when you get about 15% in (out of that swamp crap). Expansion was good not HOTU good.

I loved BG1 and 2, but afraid those days are well over.. till Dragon Age!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

NWN1 was too short, felt very basic to play, and just felt like it was designed purely for multiplayer (which I rarely partook in) at the expense of any form of character development. Granted the last AD&D game I played before it was Baldurs Gate 2, so it wasn't going to top that one anyway.

NWN2 I enjoyed much more, despite the rather ridiculous amount of bugs, many of which are game breaking, and require cheats and the console to get pas, have had to cheat 4 times in NWN2 campaign to finish it because of this. Getting a decent sized party was good, and there is at least some character to it, it's also can't be finished in one sitting.

However from a combat perspective, they both fell short of Icewind Dale 2 (still haven't played IWD 1), simply because all the fights are far too easy and short, even on hardest. The inability to customise your henchmen had a big effect on this, while it helped the characters, having classes like pure fighter and pure rogue made it very hard to do any form of power gaming (not that NWN2 needed that, given how easy it was), which is what made NWN2 for me, getting the ultimate party was always great fun to fiddle around with, which more than made up for the limited and extremely linear story line.

• Advertisement

Deamon stone was good but you were limited to the 3 chars you started with other then that there really hasn't been a good party multiplayer in a while. I know diablo 3 is coming out soon but we will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Neverwinter Nights is a very good conversion of the D20 ruleset into electronic form.
    However it is a terrible game.

Advertisement