Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody's employer been notified??

• 11-09-2008 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

HEY everyone!

I'm waiting to be called for the Medical and was just wondering at what stage do they contact your current employer, or do they?

My employer is not aware of my Garda Aplication - I don't intend on telling him until I have recieved the letter giving me a start date in Templemore.

I hope he is not contacted in the coming weeks or there could be trouble at work!!! :eek::(:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

HEY everyone!

I'm waiting to be called for the Medical and was just wondering at what stage do they contact your current employer, or do they?

My employer is not aware of my Garda Aplication - I don't intend on telling him until I have recieved the letter giving me a start date in Templemore.

I hope he is not contacted in the coming weeks or there could be trouble at work!!! :eek::(:eek:

I think they do contact your current or most recent employer but not 100% certain of that!! I'm pretty sure they would though....to see what you were like etc.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 old_ball

When the sergeant was going through my form b I asked if they would be contacting my current employer and he say they dont! They only contact previous employers

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

I was working as a trainee accountant and had told a few of the lads i had passed the interview, anyway word had spread round the office so i said id be honest and say it to the boss i may be handing in my notice in the near future if i pass my medical and PCT... of course i was swiftly let go in the nicest possible way!!! Now currently enjoying job seekers benefit and praying for a medical and PCT before November...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

I know what you mean. I handed in my notivce and then had to ask for it back. There was no problem in getting back as they were slightly short staffed but they know ill probably handing it in again come november time (fingers crossed). So now i get passed over for everything and stuck doing all the crap work and getting no responsibility. They think... "Ah he's ok, he'll be leaving soon." These next 6 weeks cant pass quick enough for me. Should have just said i turned them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

cmcskeane wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I handed in my notivce and then had to ask for it back. There was no problem in getting back as they were slightly short staffed but they know ill probably handing it in again come november time (fingers crossed). So now i get passed over for everything and stuck doing all the crap work and getting no responsibility. They think... "Ah he's ok, he'll be leaving soon." These next 6 weeks cant pass quick enough for me. Should have just said i turned them down.

I've been 100% honest with my employers all along, they know im going for it and have no problem with it at all, they actually seem interested, asking me how its going and all... Still kinda get that "Ah he's ok, he'll be leaving soon." vibe too. But sure its the truth, provided i pass the medical and pct, so i dont really mind. Lets just hope we're not waiting too long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 kc12

0325422 wrote: »
    I was working as a trainee accountant and had told a few of the lads i had passed the interview, anyway word had spread round the office so i said id be honest and say it to the boss i may be handing in my notice in the near future if i pass my medical and PCT... of course i was swiftly let go in the nicest possible way!!! Now currently enjoying job seekers benefit and praying for a medical and PCT before November...

Was in the same boat got to the accountancy exams and I did nothing for them. Had passed the interview at that stage so I knew I was not staying. When i went back told them the story... and finished up a few weeks ago.

Not doin much just working at the local a bit.
    0325422 (I take it u were at UL with a name like that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

0325422 wrote: »

the same thing happened me. they found out about me applying aswell and i got let go as it was "quiet" and there wasnt enough work. i havent even got the call for the medical yet. its going to be a long winter as i dont think il be in for november

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

Some employers are really terrible!! I feel sorry for you guys that were let go!! You think you are doing the right thing by being honest with them but then it back fires!! I'm lucky I work with family and since I came back from Australia they have known I was going for the guards so I guess I'm one of the lucky one's who can be open and honest!! Guys who are out of work for your sake I hope you make the Nov intake if not it's going to be a long 6months wait!:eek:

Advertisement