Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fifa 09 demo - what ye think?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

I've given it a couple hours play now and I think they have addressed almost everything (gameplay-wise) that I felt was wrong with last year's.

They improved responsiveness a lot. So much so that I'm finding it hard to play because I'm expecting a delay that doesn't happen and I get tackled etc. The dribbling seems to be more precise which seems to make it harder to get by people but it's difficult to judge against the computer.

It's much faster than fifa 08, which is actually a bad thing for me being a manual player, it makes manual play almost impossible. For 99% of people the speed increase might be a good thing but for us die-hard manuals it means we might have to forget about it.

Headers seem to be slightly less random and more timing-orientated (I never did understand the technique behind them in 08).

hmm can't think of anything else atm...

so who's played it? what ye think?

Comments

I liked it so far, i want to play it a bit more though. Looking forward to the Be A Pro League. Hopfully it takes off and it handles your stats well.
    I want to play it a bit more over the weekend.

When is it released here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Not sure exactly, think it's early October. I noticed that it said be a pro will be up to 10 v 10 with all humans which will be brilliant. The problem with 08's be a pro was most people didn't pick one position and when they did it was usually just the two strikers. It'll be great to see a team of human players trying to keep in shape, offside traps etc' lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

what do you mean when you talk about being a 'manual player'??

I mean someone who has the control settings set to manual instead of the default 'assisted'. You control the direction and power of every pass/shot/lob/cross exactly with no help from the computer (very satisfying).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Is the demo out for the 360 or ps3 yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Both.

If Pro Evo is not sensational this year then I will be buying FIFA for the first time in close to 10 years.

I mean someone who has the control settings set to manual instead of the default 'assisted'. You control the direction and power of every pass/shot/lob/cross exactly with no help from the computer (very satisfying).

i played fifa 08 for the last year, and i never knew anything about that??!!!

Yea I didn't either for a while but saw it in the controller settings. It takes a long time before ye can start beating people with manual but I can't go back. The kinda of passes you can play are just amazing and you can put it anywhere (that's what she said).

RE: The demo, it feels like a move towards the pro evo movement. I was just playing 08 and even tho it's a lot slower, it feels like ye have more freedom of movement. In 09 it feels a bit more restricted but it's hard to make a call on these things when playing the computer.

Yea I didn't either for a while but saw it in the controller settings. It takes a long time before ye can start beating people with manual but I can't go back. The kinda of passes you can play are just amazing and you can put it anywhere (that's what she said).
    yea it sounds good, but as you said, id say it would take a long time to get used to....

Yea and also with the ps3 controller I'de find it impossible. The good thing it does is it means you can be satisfied even when ye lose because ye get to play sexual passes all over the kip!

• Advertisement

just downloaded it there, its ok i think. sometimes it can be hard to tell just playing a demo.

its funny, it still shows players arguing with the ref anytime theyre booked.

wheres all this 'respect' fifa?!!

When I went back to play 08 after, the speed difference was unreal. The problem is I use the right analogue stick a lot to get past players by knocking the ball a good bit ahead and in 09 it seems ye can't do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Played a little bit of '09 demo on PC and liking it so far...Was only playing with keyboard. Interesting addition of keyboard and mouse input - may play a little with it just to see but I would say it takes quite a bit of getting used to!

Only thing I don't like is that I can't manually change players - even when I set it in options, it resets...

🤪

Thanks for reminding me. Was gonna get the demo on PC as well to try out this new mouse input idea. The demo on the 360 has me (a die-hard pro evo fan) considering the possibility that it might turn out to be the best football game yet.

The gameplay has lost all the niggles and problems, shooting is vastly improved along with the overall feel of playing it. When you throw teams full of all-human controlled players into the mix as well it spells out for a must have game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Played the "Be A Pro" - I'd say it could be great with full human teams or humans v comp. Quite entertaining in the single player too but there can be a spell of time without the ball. Though you do work to get into good positions!

But losing is sickening because it isn't entirely your fault!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Thought it was great...free kicks have improved a lot too...found a small glitch already when taking off your captain both the player come on and off are wearing the arm band..:rolleyes::rolleyes:..thats it no one buy it with mistakes like tat..:p...

Ref,linesmen and the return off the "lay it off" free kick option are also cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

When you throw teams full of all-human controlled players into the mix as well it spells out for a must have game imo.

Too right! 10 Vs 10 is gonna kick so much ass! PES will probably implement the same feature in their 2015 version....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gitsy

FIFA hits di shelves on the 2nd or 3rd of next month..

watched loads of vids and demos, havent played it yet tho..

still tho, graphics look amazin on PS3 and dat other console that microqueers make..

have it pre-ordered in gamestop only dyin for it t coume out now..

only hope player ratings are more fair and realistic as in RAUL and EVRA not bein rated in the 70's..

Lets FIFA 09..

007:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I was very, very impressed with the demo. It's a football simulation where as PES is now a football based arcade game – it's interesting how both games have pretty much swapped positions from where they were four or five years ago.

Gitsy wrote: »
    dat other console that microqueers make..

Fanboy much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Headspin wrote: »
    Fanboy much?

Pot, meet Kettle.

Otacon wrote: »
    Pot, meet Kettle.

lol :D

Which one am I? can i be the kettle?

Seriously though, i'm no fanboy, i just prefer the 360...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

still tho, graphics look amazin on PS3 and dat other console that microqueers make..

only hope player ratings are more fair and realistic as in RAUL and EVRA not bein rated in the 70's..

Lets FIFA 09..

That post was excrutiating to read. Less of the text speak please :).

Does anybody know when the PES demo is due out?[HTML][/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If PES is even a little better than PES 6 then there will only be one winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Lets FIFA 09..

DIE :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Demo is too damn short.

5 minute games or something.. stupid as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Holsten wrote: »
    Demo is too damn short.

Thats because... Its a demo.

But i agree 2 min halfs are a killer. But at least they speads up Winner Stays On sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Holsten wrote: »
    Demo is too damn short.

...It's a demonstration of the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Brilliant, can't wait. Should there maybe be a FIFA sub-forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

If fifa 09 had the same ball physics as pro evo I would be a fifa man but it sadly doesn't.

Advertisement