Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotating vegetable juice - help!

Options
  • 11-09-2008 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I drink a pint of freshly juiced vegetables every day, but have just read that you are supposed to rotate the vegetables you juice to avoid becoming allergic to them. I cannot find any information about how frequently you're supposed to rotate them though! Is it ok to drink each kind of vegetable juice every other day, or should you leave a minimum of 2,3 or 4 days or longer in between? I can't find this information on google! Someone help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Become allergic to them? who told you that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Just juice whatever is in season and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I drink a pint of freshly juiced vegetables every day, but have just read that you are supposed to rotate the vegetables you juice to avoid becoming allergic to them. I cannot find any information about how frequently you're supposed to rotate them though! Is it ok to drink each kind of vegetable juice every other day, or should you leave a minimum of 2,3 or 4 days or longer in between? I can't find this information on google! Someone help!

True allergies to vegetables are very, very rare and I can't recall ever having seen any advice to rotate the vegetables you eat as part of your five a day, so I can't imagine it's any different for vegetable juice.

Obviously it's optimal to get as broad a spectrum of veg in as you can as each vegetable has its own nutrient profile (green leaves are rich in Vitamins A and C, broccoli and kale are good for Vitamin B, peppers, carrots and sweet potatoes are great sources of betacarotenes etc.) so that in itself is a reason to rotate veg. But like Eileen said, if you eat in-season vegetables you'll ensure you get the freshest vegetables available and this should avoid any problems.

As a point of note remember that juicing vegetables removes much of their fibre, and that's one of the primary reasons to eat them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I've heard of people becoming sensitive or "allergic" to stuff like yeast when they eat a lot of processed bread for instance, but never veg. Where'd you hear that op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I just got a book called "Juicing for health" which says so. The book's website says so too:
    http://www.healingdaily.com/juicing-for-health.htm

On the page it says:
    You must rotate the vegetables you are using in your vegetable juicing program! It is very important to not have the same vegetables every day. the chances are quite high that if you keep juicing the same vegetables for any significant length of time you will become allergic to them. Variety is king.

But it doesn't say anything about how frequently to rotate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Think of the way most people eat, they have about three vegetables that they eat for 95% of the time, and they don't get allergic.

As G'em said, juicing removes the fibre (big black mark, I like my fibre) so try keeping the pulp and making soup with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but a carrot a day gives you a carrot allergy:confused:

Doesn't sound right, never heard anything like that before. I cannot see how the juicing makes any difference over eating (except the fibre as mentioned). So I expect a lot of Irish people should have severe potato allergies.

Advertisement