Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Slow these days anyone?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 8:25pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed my internet being pretty ****e as late. 10Mb connection and speedtest.net is saying maybe 1Mb speeds, while irishisptest is saying maybe 2Mb speeds. Certainly not getting what im paying for there!

Ive reset my router so see would that fix it but no joy.

Im in the Galway area too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Just noticed my internet being pretty ****e as late. 10Mb connection and speedtest.net is saying maybe 1Mb speeds, while irishisptest is saying maybe 2Mb speeds. Certainly not getting what im paying for there!

Ive reset my router so see would that fix it but no joy.

Im in the Galway area too.

Exactly the same for me in Dublin. Was grand when it was 6meg but the more they upgrade the slower it seems to get. Got a 10meg connection tonight but normally hangs around 3meg, certainly a long way off the 20meg I'm payin' for!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sent them a call me back thing there about it so hopefully ill get a call one of these days. No way im ringing their shoddy customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Moved to them 2 weeks ago thinking the 10MB product would be much better than the 2MB Fibre to home connection I had with Magnet. What was I thinking!

Broadband speed on the 10MB product is struggling to approach 1MB download right now, gonna see if I can cancel this and go back to Magnet at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very slow for me today (Dublin area as well). Speed tests aren't too bad but many websites are taking forever to load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Um, I got 520kb/s download speeds using speedtest (ntl galway)...what does that mean??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

Likewise, When I was on the 6mb it was perfect now I'm on the 20mb its absolutely crap, A customer service lady told me I shared my line with 200 other customers and then realised she had shouldn't have said it and started to mutter and mumble.
    Time to go back to DSL I think, This company stinks

Um, I got 520kb/s download speeds using speedtest (ntl galway)...what does that mean??
    Its more or less what im getting from time to time. Total crap!

Mines down to 250 or so also

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My connection just went down.

EDIT: nevermind, back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Rosser wrote: »
    Exactly the same for me in Dublin. Was grand when it was 6meg but the more they upgrade the slower it seems to get. Got a 10meg connection tonight but normally hangs around 3meg, certainly a long way off the 20meg I'm payin' for!

Can I ask how much you are paying for it? 49 Euro's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Just on a speedtest related thing ... Yesterday I noticed that the Galway Server with awire or someone was giving REALLY REALLY bad speeds and pings. No idea why ... every place else was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

on the 20mb and get speeds of 512kbs

its nuts.. couldn't even browse last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'm on the 10Mbps package in Galway. Yesterday, speedtest.net was struggling to hit 1Mbps, with a 43ms ping. Today, I have similar ping on speedtest, and download is showing 3Mbps. Upload seemed fine.

Pinging boards.ie is still at it's usual average of 11ms.

Tested downloading a bunch of files from Rapidshare. Flashget is reporting a normal throughput of ~1200KB/s (1.2MB/s), so I'm not all that concerned, tbh.

Oh, and just a heads-up guys; M=Mega, m=mili, B=Byte, b=bit. It gets confusing when they get used willy nilly. :pac:

Looks to be back to normal again now. Fingers crossed, touch wood etc.

Advertisement