Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are you...?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

GA361 wrote: »
    To become a lawyer or teacher in this country,you must be competent at both Irish and English(and maths for a teacher).
    This is not true. Regardless of the irrelevance of talking about becoming a teacher, there is no such thing as "a lawyer" in Ireland. The Irish matriculation requirement for the Bar, for example, is about the level of the Higher-Level oral exam. You pass it and you need not speak a word of Irish again. Also, being "a lawyer" is increasingly external to the traditional solicitor and barrister roles.
    All teaching and law colleges reguire you pass Irish for that very reason. . . except Trinity because of its unionism.
    How much do you know about Trinity and unionism? Do you know much about the Provost? A Mayo man, who went to NUIM and has a son named Ciaran? The laws of the College date back to 1592. They're so antiquated and unwieldy that after the Universities Act 1997, TCD needed its own Act passed to accommodate its old laws. Do you know about the Scéim that gives preference for on-campus accommodation to those who agree to promote Gaeilge?

Of course you don't. It's more fun to assume an institution that you know nothing about is old and unionist and those old crusty conservatives in the Law School like Ivana Bacik like nothing more than to beat the natives when they're down. That's why the Law School never appoints anyone with nationalist tendencies such as the last two presidents or the Minister for Finance. Sure what'd a former Chief Justice have to do with those lads anyway? When you intermingle TCD's history with its current rules, you're being oblivious to the fact that institutions might have more important things to do than go about requiring Physics student speak Irish.

You're talking pure and utter shit. Why would spew such bile about something you know nothing about?
    Prob not Trinity because the points are a bit high
    Oh, that might explain something.

Bitter much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

This is not true. Regardless of the irrelevance of talking about becoming a teacher, there is no such thing as "a lawyer" in Ireland. The Irish matriculation requirement for the Bar, for example, is about the level of the Higher-Level oral exam. You pass it and you need not speak a word of Irish again. Also, being "a lawyer" is increasingly external to the traditional solicitor and barrister roles.

How much do you know about Trinity and unionism? Do you know much about the Provost? A Mayo man, who went to NUIM and has a son named Ciaran? The laws of the College date back to 1592. They're so antiquated and unwieldy that after the Universities Act 1997, TCD needed its own Act passed to accommodate its old laws. Do you know about the Scéim that gives preference for on-campus accommodation to those who agree to promote Gaeilge?

Of course you don't. It's more fun to assume an institution that you know nothing about is old and unionist and those old crusty conservatives in the Law School like Ivana Bacik like nothing more than to beat the natives when they're down. That's why the Law School never appoints anyone with nationalist tendencies such as the last two presidents or the Minister for Finance. Sure what'd a former Chief Justice have to do with those lads anyway? When you intermingle TCD's history with its current rules, you're being oblivious to the fact that institutions might have more important things to do than go about requiring Physics student speak Irish.

You're talking pure and utter shit. Why would spew such bile about something you know nothing about?

Oh, that might explain something.

Bitter much?
    :D Take it easy there boss.It is just a light-hearted post.. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

GA361 wrote: »
    You talkin ta me?

Lol no, I was talking to Myth, for the woeful pun he made.
    Yes she was, that unionist bitch. I think it's time for another one of these.

Heh, if I were unionist my comod Purplefistmixer would have my head on a plate -_-. Less of the B-word please!

EDIT: wtf? How did I not see page 3? Let's try to keep this thread as on topic as we can!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Aiming for about 400, only need about 330. One of the courses I'll be putting on my CAO is only 230 points and that's Computer Science in Kevin St DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

kateos2 wrote: »
    well, i want to do radiography, which went up to 510 this year, seriously considering going to scotland.
    It's only 365 in Wales (Bangor University). My friends going for that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

blue-army wrote: »
    It's only 365 in Wales (Bangor University). My friends going for that..

only need 3 b's including a science to do it in scotland whatever that is in points. think you have to pay to do it in wales though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have no idea :eek:

I heard about this jam making course that sounds pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 imakenoise

I really have no idea what i wanna do yet
    At the moment anyway im aiming between 350-400 but that could all change when finally pick something!

only need 3 b's including a science to do it in scotland whatever that is in points. think you have to pay to do it in wales though.

Wales and Scotland are covered under the free fees according to some people who came in to talk to us about UCAS yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Piste wrote: »
    Wales and Scotland are covered under the free fees according to some people who came in to talk to us about UCAS yesterday.

oh didn't know that, will ask them at higher options tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Need 555 for vet med. Looking to do it abroad but it's so expensive!

oh didn't know that, will ask them at higher options tomorrow anyway.

Yeah they'd probably know better than some random girl on the internet, I'd listen to them over me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Pharmacy in UCC hopefully. Was 555* this year so I need 570 to be completely safe in case the points increase. I will hopefully get the points if everything goes right this year for me and Im able to calm down and relax ( I suffer from anxiety problems which I havent mentioned before).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

In making up my mind I'm somewhere between wanting to do music in DIT and English with either French or German in Trinity. I'd need 550 for the latter to be comfortable but I'm just trying to get as high as possible and hope a good leaving will stand to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ive no idea what courses im going to do but at the moment im just hoping i pass everything.way too stresssed so far.
    i know a girl who wont be happy unless she gets all a's and b's.ive never seen her get below an a in a test so i woudnt be suprised if she did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Media Production, most likely in University of Glamorgan. I'm not entirely sure how many points I'll need, as they mention A-Levels and GCSEs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I am hoping to do European Studies with French and Spanish which is 490. Hopefully I'll get it with a bit of study :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i need at least 500,ucd ,business and law
    or 500 + + for trinity

=( i don't am i not confidence enough or what..
    i shoud be work really hard now but i am not....
    i need a good kick in the bud....i just cant seem to settle down??
    no..whats the word

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »

I think scotland definitly is covered but wales isnt, (or they lied to me at the UCAS stand yesterday)

Yeah I'd say the Wales stand would know better than me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭decdec456

Aiming for 500+ just to keep options open for changing my course if i hate it:

German with Russian/Italian/Spanish/Film Studies in TCD

English in TCD/

Applied Languages & Intercutural Studies in DCU

Psychology in TCD

after that Ich weiss nicht!

Advertisement