Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 or A3 DSG

Options
  • 11-09-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Ill be buying a car in the UK in the next few weeks and my budget is £10,000 and im torn between either

2005 A4 2.0 TDI S-line
    CK05OFL.jpg
    Or
    2004/5 A3 2.0 TDI S-line DSG (3 Door)
    AUDI%20A3%20S-LINE%202005.jpg

I like the A3 because of the gear box and the practicality around the city because of its size, but the A4 has the newer shape styling and can hold 5 adults with ease but its also pretty big and will be slower that the A3 with the same engine.

What do people think of either of these cars?

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Would you still be asking the same question if it was between a passat and a golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I actually can't fathom how you are in any way torn between these two cars. A4, no brainer. Next!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A3, tbh........anyone who thinks the A4 will bring 5 adults is dreaming...........either very short, or legless rear passengers, maybe, but they're atrocious in the back.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Would you still be asking the same question if it was between a passat and a golf?
    Surely the better comparison would be between a Bora/Vento/Jetta and a Golf? To compare Passat and Golf you'd be talking A6 and A3 - not A4;)

As for OP - definitely A4 if it was my money. Only A3 I'd consider would be an S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My oul lad has an A4 and I would recommend it. You are never going to comfortably put 3 adults in the back though.

If it were an S3 I would say go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

I had an A4 and am now driving an A3 - the A4 was more comfortable, suspension was more forgiving, and there was way more space. Not regretting buying the A3 but it's not as good a car. Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just to confuse things further: If it was my £10,000 I would be trying to pick up a TDi VRS Octavia.

Drove one last year and was mightily impressed. Same lack of room in the back but a hoot to drive and I like the looks.
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Skoda-Octavia-vRS-TDi/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Top Dog wrote: »
    To compare Passat and Golf you'd be talking A6 and A3 - not A4;)
    are the a4 and passat not built off the same platform? (likewise golf and a3)

I think (open to correction) that it goes something like ...

A3 - Golf
    A4 - Jetta
    A6 - Passat

Pretty sure the A4 is just a saloon version of the A3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Top Dog wrote: »
    I think (open to correction) that it goes something like ...

A3 - Golf
    A4 - Jetta
    A6 - Passat

Pretty sure the A4 is just a saloon version of the A3
    you might be on to something

PQ35 is intended for compact-size vehicles, and PQ46 is an enlarged version for mid-size vehicles, such as the VW Passat. A common misconception is that the PQ46 generation of the Passat is based on the "B6" platform. However, this transverse-engined Passat has little in common with the longitudinal-engined "B6" Audi A4.

although the a4/passat are nearly identical in size and so are the a3/golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Just to confuse things further: If it was my £10,000 I would be trying to pick up a TDi VRS Octavia.

That does look pretty sweet, although its a bit too Halfords to get my money, Im pretty set on the A4, although I have fallen in love with the DSG gearbox that I have tested in the A3 and its nice and nimble for city driving...
    Im 6'3" and I can fit comfortably in the back of an A4, although I doubt 3 of me could as has been said. I assume reliability would be very similar on both models, is there any know problems with either of these models or engines? I would imagine Ill be remapping either from 140bhp to 170bhp to get a bit more from them.

What else would people spend E16,000 on? (Uk + VRT)

S.

If it was my money, and the wife didn't throw in objections, then it'd be between an A4 Avant TDI and an Octavia VRS TDI estate :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

A4. But I'd also go for the octavia vrs if I had the money......which I don't:P

Advertisement