Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back problems

Options
  • 11-09-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi there.

So I have a bad back and it gives me trouble quite often. It's more my upper back than lower. I'm guessing it's mostly because it's weak.

I'm wondering what I should be thinking about when buying a new bike? The bike I have now has me sitting more upright than a lot of bikes but still gives my back trouble. Are there other things I can do that might help? A more upright sitting position *IS* better on your back, right? Or am I wrong? Or does it depend?

Thanks.

- fog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hi there.

So I have a bad back and it gives me trouble quite often. It's more my upper back than lower. I'm guessing it's mostly because it's weak.

I'm wondering what I should be thinking about when buying a new bike? The bike I have now has me sitting more upright than a lot of bikes but still gives my back trouble. Are there other things I can do that might help? A more upright sitting position *IS* better on your back, right? Or am I wrong? Or does it depend?

Thanks.

- fog

Have you been to see a physio?
    Any solutions you will see here will only be guesses based on peoples own experiences and may not be particular to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭falloffgirl

Raam wrote: »
    Have you been to see a physio?
    Any solutions you will see here will only be guesses based on peoples own experiences and may not be particular to you.

I'm waiting on an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The important thing is to get a bike that fits you. That is: one that is the right height and has the right reach. Less flexible people may benefit from a more upright position, but other people can be very comfortable with a very sporty position. I have been told, by a physical therapist, that having a strong core can really help with your back problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Raams right about the core thing but i think core stability has more of an affect on the lower back and hips.
    If you're going to a physio, they'll probably give you exercises to help strengthen you up. I hurt my lower back a few years ago and ended up with a bunch of movements to do everyday, which felt like i wasn't doing anything but i've very little back trouble now. They'll be boring exercises but it'll be worth it.
    Also, I bought my new bike in the cycle superstore from John, the northern lad whos been there from the start. he spent ages with me, setting up the bars and saddle just right and the peddals too. I recon this service was worth any internet discount.

Good luck

Advertisement