Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

can you do the test barefoot??

Options
  • 11-09-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

im doing my test in a fiat punto and the pedals are really close together. my size 12's are making it uncomfortable to drive and i drive better barefoot.

can i do it barefoot in socks, or would it be frowned upon??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It should be.
    Imagine if you get hit from the front, back or either side. You feet are in very some serious cuts off those pedals simply from the massive force.
    Also, could you do an emergency stop without hesitation or flinching in your socks. I don't see how you could, you'd flinch.

Technically it might be legal, I don't know. But maybe they couldn't imagine someone would do this.

If I was a tester I wouldn't be happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Theres no rule against it but I honestly can't understand how that is the best solution to your problem. Your feet can easily slip off the pedals and surely its uncomfortable to drive that way? Im sure its been done before but I wouldn't be recommending it at all.

PS. Don't forget to wear clean socks if you decide to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's an unusual one alright, as far as i know there is no statutory act that states a driver must wear shoes while driving. I can see a few issues with it, such as there being no grip under foot wearing just socks, which could prove dangerous, but, that being said, i'm almost certain there's no "law" against it. I would however consider a compromise, perhaps buying a pair of driving shoes? Which are tight fitting, ie not making a massive difference in size between wearing and not wearing the shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrivingMad

I had my very first driving lesson in bare feet! Was accidently locked out of my house just before my lesson and just had flip flops on. Instructor said to go for it any way. Mind you this was about 25 years ago! I have tried it since and found it very uncomfortable....
    I wouldnt take the chance now to take a test bare foot, you dont want any excuse to upset the examiner, and what would happen if there was an accident (god forbid!) and you had to abandon the car?

• Advertisement
Advertisement