Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clutch Bell

Options
  • 11-09-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

I just got a vented clutch bell on ebay for a good price. I presume these are straight forward enough to install, well within reason ?

I know the engine has to be removed but apart from that, I presume they're all right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I just got a vented clutch bell on ebay for a good price. I presume these are straight forward enough to install, well within reason ?

I know the engine has to be removed but apart from that, I presume they're all right.

Should be handy enough. What advantage does the vented bell give though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

1. Less rotating mass to increase performance.
    2. Helps to prevent the clutch from melting.

(Never noticed any performance gain myself. Also never had a clutch melt on me either.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Is it hard to get those shoes on and off from teh flywheel ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Sometimes if they are melted in such a way as to join together, they can stick to the inner surface of the clutch bell, and make getting it off a job of force.

Usually it just requires a firm pull, then cut them up to get the sections off the locating pins.

A pointy nose pliers is your best tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I've fitted the clutch bell but it seems to be hitting of the top of the clutch shoes when you rotate it. There's a bit of room on the shaft to move the bell up more to clear the shoes. Should I just leave it or will it cause problems ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Add a washer as a "spacer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lotus791

vented ones let crap get into your clutch

Advertisement