Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divemaster-vs-Instructor

• 11-09-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is a big difference in the pay between the two??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinmcbride

mac123 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is a big difference in the pay between the two??

Eh yes! Divemaster = no pay
    Instructor = Minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

At best Divemaster = free dives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Really? My instructor for my advanced open water told me he worked as a divemaster for 5 months before he did his instructors course, that was in Thailand though so maybe its different there? I also did a few fun dives in Indonesia where the divemaster was definately paid!
    Are you guys just talking about Ireland or everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

In general DMs are badly paid, if at all. OW Instructors get a bit more, but you have to have experience and other strings to your bow to get anywhere decent money to call it a decent living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

So who gets the money divers pay for the use of a Dive Master so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

The dive centre does. The DM might get a gratuity, or a couple of beers, but in a lot of places it's taken as part of the 'training' that a DM does that stuff for free.
    I discovered this very shortly after starting the course, but by that stage I'd paid my money!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know in malaysia my DM got 8 ringgit per dive. 5 ringgit is a Euro. Not a good way to make a living! They just did it to live in the sun.

Advertisement