Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First long cycle - any advice?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I am doing a charity cycle to Wexford next weekend. I have done the training but have never completed a distance like this before or cycled in a group.

Any advice?

what food to bring, tights or shorts and stick to the back or front of the group?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Grease yourself up! Seriously. And don't push yourself early on. Take it handy. Eat and drink often to keep your energy levels up. I find bananas, cereal bars and chocolate to do the trick.

Cant help with group cycling I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mackerooney

What do you suggest on the "grease yourself up" front?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

what food to bring, tights or shorts and stick to the back or front of the group?

Just on the back or front issue...in the ideal world, being further back would make for less work, as you benefit more from the draft of those in front. But in a large group of inexperienced and jittery charity cyclists there is often a pronounced accordion effect at work. If you're very far back you are constantly on the brakes, losing valuable momentum. It's both frustrating and tiring. So I try to stay within the first 7-8 as a result. As you start to move down the declining side, there will always be somebody who loses a wheel and lets a gap develop in front of them. This is your opportunity to cut over to the advancing side again, ostensibly just thinking of the group and "keeping it tight" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

a pinch of salt and sugar in your waterbottle will help prevent cramp. bananas likewise. shorts or tights - depends on the weather and what you're used to - don't go trying something new on the day. plenty of vaseline down below, or chamois cream better still. eat a couple of good bowls of pasta the 2 or 3 days before, drink plenty of water all week. foodwise, to bring, couple of bananas, some cereal bars, if you're used to gels/power bars take them too. couple of euro in the saddle bag in case you need to get something as you go through a town - luco or choco or

cycling in a group is fine - don't volunteer to do all the work, but take your pull when you feel strong enough. watch out for your front wheel, if you mind that then you'll be fine. don't hit the brakes too suddenly or you'll have someone into the back of you. likewise if you're going to stand up hit a couple of fast strokes first so you don't end up stalling and getting hit from the backtoo. point out obstacles you see on the way - holes, gravel, slower riders etc so that riders behind can also take evasive action. "car up" means there's a car coming at you. "car down" or "car back" means there's one behind trying to overtake. If you go through a junction and there's nothing coming so following riders can go through safely shout "clear".
    have fun, and enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

What do you suggest on the "grease yourself up" front?

Ideally, a proper chamois cream - Assos do a good one which you'll get in any bike or tri shop. Failing that, a mixture of Sudocrem and Vaseline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I am doing a charity cycle to Wexford next weekend. I have done the training but have never completed a distance like this before or cycled in a group.

Any advice?

How long is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Good set of cycling shorts, either buy online or locally. You can use whatever lotion(body/hand or branded chamois lotion) takes your fancy on the chamois.

Thanks for all the pointers.

One last question - its on Saturday week and I was going to do the last training run this Saturday. Should I go for the longest yet or just keep to a spin?

One last question - its on Saturday week and I was going to do the last training run this Saturday. Should I go for the longest yet or just keep to a spin?

A long spin should be fine. Then take it handy during the week.

Raam wrote: »
    How long is it?

Its 134k.m. from starting point in UCD.

• Advertisement

kind of depends a bit - don't overdo it, but at the same time if you haven't done around 2/3 of the total distance you should probably try to get closeish to that if you can. the group effect will bring you a fair bit further than you've done to date
    which event is it by the way?

kenmc wrote: »
    kind of depends a bit - don't overdo it, but at the same time if you haven't done around 2/3 of the total distance you should probably try to get closeish to that if you can. the group effect will bring you a fair bit further than you've done to date
    which event is it by the way?
    Its the Welcome Home Cycle - in support Of Peter Verry's work with the homeless.
    I have completed a couple of training runs of 100k.m. always on my own so the group bit is the primary concern.

you'll be fine so. don't overdo it. maybe aim for 70-80. don't worry about the group bit, seriously it's easy, just relax, but keep your wits about you for others

Its 134k.m. from starting point in UCD.

A good distance, fair play.

kenmc wrote: »
    you'll be fine so. don't overdo it. maybe aim for 70-80. don't worry about the group bit, seriously it's easy, just relax, but keep your wits about you for others
    I'm looking forward to it. Have enjoyed the training on the road and a very good spin class every week. I am hoping to keep it up afterwards - anyone aware of any similar events?

indeed, so you'll be on the WW200 next year then? :D
    ring of kerry too, sean kelly.... dying cow, mick byrne... there's at least 10!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm looking forward to it. I am hoping to keep it up afterwards - anyone aware of any similar events?

Hi. Best of luck, and good cause btw. Pity it wasn't publicised a bit more - would have been interested. Anyway, did first charity ride this year (Ring of Kerry). They are seriously addictive. Have done Sean Kelly since and I plan to do 1/month next year. Why? simple. Training for these things on your own is good, but on the day the buzz and craic of cycling in a large group and tesing yourself against people who are better cyclist, fitter or on better bikes is a real rush. Having trained for 3 months for the Ring of Kerry on my own, I was blown away by cycling in a large group - it really is great fun.
    I would be very surprised if you didnt get enjoy out of it. If you are regularly doing 100km, then the 130km on the day will be no bother to you. It is easier to cycle in groups than alone. Easier and more fun.

Enjoy the day, grease up, hydrate. Also, put some vaseline on nipples - helps against chaffing when you are sweating.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

cantalach wrote: »
    Ideally, a proper chamois cream - Assos do a good one which you'll get in any bike or tri shop. Failing that, a mixture of Sudocrem and Vaseline.

I find it burns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whoareyouanyway

"put some vaseline on nipples" disregarding the schoolboy in me who is wants to laugh I actually find this excellent advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

a few more pointers - on the morning of the ride, have some porridge, with honey or fruit, for a great source of slow release carbs - should see you through to the finish. I normally eat this about 3 hours before an event. Also, a couple of shots of coffee before you set off won't do any harm. It's reported that caffeine can help in endurance events, even 2 or 3 hours after its been ingested. During the ride, force yourself to drink regularly, even if you don't feel thirsty at first. If you become dehydrated later on because you didn't drink enough, it's too late to do anything about it and its game over. Gels are a convenient way to refuel on the bike. They're pure sugar, and need to be taken with a lot of water. For a trip of that distance, I'd say pack 3 or 4 gels. If you don't use them all, then fine, but better to bring too much food, than get the knock and not make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

The best advice is to not change too much on the day of your cycle to your normal cycling routine. Do not wear new shorts or drink or eat anything that you don't normally use on a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi. Best of luck, and good cause btw. Pity it wasn't publicised a bit more - would have been interested. Anyway, did first charity ride this year (Ring of Kerry). They are seriously addictive. Have done Sean Kelly since and I plan to do 1/month next year. Why? simple. Training for these things on your own is good, but on the day the buzz and craic of cycling in a large group and tesing yourself against people who are better cyclist, fitter or on better bikes is a real rush. Having trained for 3 months for the Ring of Kerry on my own, I was blown away by cycling in a large group - it really is great fun.
    I would be very surprised if you didnt get enjoy out of it. If you are regularly doing 100km, then the 130km on the day will be no bother to you. It is easier to cycle in groups than alone. Easier and more fun.

Enjoy the day, grease up, hydrate. Also, put some vaseline on nipples - helps against chaffing when you are sweating.

Yeah Rok On , I'm like yourself a bit , I too train on my own ( have done for the past 2 years since I took up cycling) . I do good mileage during the week and more especially at weekends . I did my first group cycle in the Sean Kelly tour and enjoyed it . Have thought about group riding and cycle clubs but ( and don't get this wrong lads/ lassies) I'm a wee bit intimidated by the riding ettiquette thing! I've been reading bike mags about clubs and the"sunday morning" ride and it appears to be very disiplined , and a lot expected of participants .
    There's instances of people being left behind etc. , and members being not too slow to inform newcomers of their mistakes . Is this the case ? I'm in my late 40's and have a good fitness level now , so I feel there would be no danger of being dropped off , but would my enjoyment be the same , or would I be better off on my own ? Being honest the last thing I could handle at a week-end ride after a hard weeks work , is some fella bellowing instructions at me .
    What are the advantages of joining a club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Mack - The advice about food/drink consumption is pretty high on my list. When your doing short spins you might not take anything in until you get home, so getting into a habit of nibbling on something, taking a few mouthfuls of fluid every 15/20 mins is a good habit to get into. On a longer cycle like that, its easy to forget until its too late and you start hitting that wall.

Thanks for all the advice.

Completed the 140km in 4 hours although I made some fundamental mistakes, namely went out too quick at the start in a very fast group and was dropped after 40km. From then on cycled on my own to the finish and never benefited from a tailgate as there were no similar speed groups coming up behind me.

On a very sad note, I left Wexford immediately afterwards by car and was coming through Ferns when the ambulance were treating Mrs Kane on the side of the road.

Advertisement