Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Sign This For Me Please?

• 11-09-2008 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭

I was working in a shop in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre today when a young lad, 15-16 came in and handed me a piece of paper and asked me to sign it. I had a quick scan over it and it was a social welfare form stating that he had applied for a job.

I thought about it for a moment or two and told him that I wouldn't sign it as he hadn't applied for a job. He was genuinely taken back and in a surprised manner asked me would I not sign it. I told him I would when he came back to me with a CV. Again he asked me would I sign it and I told him I would when he came back to me with a CV. He muttered something under his breath and walked away. Needless to say I didn't see him again and I don't think I will.
    What really bothered me though was that he had one signature on the form already from another shop in the centre.

So guys, was I too hash on him, should I just have signed it? He's possibly just left school after completing the Junior Cert (can you still leave that young?). Should I have given him a break?

I think I was right in my actions. He hadn't applied for a job and isn't the Social Welfare there to help you up on your feet after you've already been working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Right you are. Too many people abusing the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He's too young to be on welfare himself surely? Unless he's older than he looks? Or his ma sent him in for her? Either way don't sign it for him. He obviously has no intention of getting work. He could of given in a CV and been rejected if he wanted a signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

You did the right thing. Some type of job can be got by just about anyone. He was just being lazy, it would not have been a huge effort more to actually apply, fail, then ask you to sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You don't get Jobseekers allowance until you are 18.
    What social welfare could he possibly be getting. Sure he's still dependant on his parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

karlr42 wrote: »
    You did the right thing. Some type of job can be got by just about anyone. He was just being lazy, it would not have been a huge effort more to actually apply, fail, then ask you to sign

You're right, the 200,000+ people signing on atm are all free loaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I worked in a shop in a shopping centre for 3 years between 2003 and 2006. There was pretty much full employments. These guys were regularly in asking for the things to be signed. They have no intention of looking for a job and people should not be signing the forms for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Good point, I apologise, what I meant was eventually most people should be able to get a job- the dole is supposed to be a temporary arrangement while you're actively searching for employment, I thought, after being laid off or whatever. I'm not saying "good" employment, but something, minimum wage perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

there's no shortage of work available in this country. There's a chronic shortage of people who are willing to do whatever job they have to until they get what they're looking for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dsmythy wrote: »
    He's too young to be on welfare himself surely? Unless he's older than he looks? Or his ma sent him in for her? Either way don't sign it for him. He obviously has no intention of getting work. He could of given in a CV and been rejected if he wanted a signature.
    micmclo wrote: »
    You don't get Jobseekers allowance until you are 18.
    What social welfare could he possibly be getting. Sure he's still dependant on his parents

Well he was definetly a teenager and it was a Social Welfare form. It had various options one of which was something about the Junior Cert which he had ticked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If he had asked you for a job first would you have signed it or would he have to apply properly for a vacant position?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A very easy way around this for those on the dole and they don't even need to leave the comfort of their own bed room. Simply go on line to the following http://www.jobs.ie/ Apply to any of the jobs on this website. You will get an automated response by e_mail almost immediatly. You then print out these and bring to the dole office. They will accept these as a valid attempt in the search for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

I used get that all the time in my old job. We'd regularily have people come up and ask "any chance of a job" I'd say no and they'd whip out this sheet and ask me to sign and stamp it. I used tell them to feck off which regularily resulted in arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

They were probably getting it signed for a parent or something. You did the right thing and should of also given him the thrashing of a lifetime!!! Bloody riff-raff, taking our hard earned eurons to spend on the latest games for their Atari Jaguars, or buying their Hi-Tech runners to show off to the other kids down at the discotheque, or stuffing themselves at the ice-cream parlour etc.

In fact, a thrashing is too good for them. You should shoot them! Shoot them twice. And then burn their still twitching corpses. It's how my parents kept me in line and, by God, it did the trick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

A better site to use is http://www.irishexecutivejobs.ie/ because they same, god help them get a acceptance letter from a job posted on Jobs.ie but there is no way in hell that they'll get one for 100K€+ job.

But if anybody has a similar experience I'd say write on the sheet stating that they did not try and apply for the job. They will probably not even read it after you hand it back.
    A very easy way around this matter for those on the dole and you don't even need to leave the comfort of your bed room. Simply go on line to the following http://www.jobs.ie/ Apply to any of the jobs on this website. You will get an automated response by e_mail almost immediatly. You then print out these and bring to the dole office. They will accept these as a valid attempt in the search for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

A very easy way around this matter for those on the dole and they don't even need to leave the comfort of their own bed room. Simply go on line to the following http://www.jobs.ie/ Apply to any of the jobs on this website. You will get an automated response by e_mail almost immediatly. You then print out these and bring to the dole office. They will accept these as a valid attempt in the search for work.

this is a joke if true, surely this cant work every month? Can the Social Welfare not say to someone who has been on the dole a number of months that there is a job with the council cleaning roads, here you go. If the person refuses then the dole should be withdrawen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Well the social welfare officer cannot say which jobs an candidate is suitable for and therefore if someone refuses the roadsweeping job on health grounds, then it isn't fair for his social welfare to be cut. Totally agree about the not signing. I wouldn't and haven't in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I was working in a shop in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre today when a young lad, 15-16 came in and handed me a piece of paper and asked me to sign it. I had a quick scan over it and it was a social welfare form stating that he had applied for a job.

I thought about it for a moment or two and told him that I wouldn't sign it as he hadn't applied for a job. He was genuinely taken back and in a surprised manner asked me would I not sign it. I told him I would when he came back to me with a CV. Again he asked me would I sign it and I told him I would when he came back to me with a CV. He muttered something under his breath and walked away. Needless to say I didn't see him again and I don't think I will.
    What really bothered me though was that he had one signature on the form already from another shop in the centre.

So guys, was I too hash on him, should I just have signed it? He's possibly just left school after completing the Junior Cert (can you still leave that young?). Should I have given him a break?

I think I was right in my actions. He hadn't applied for a job and isn't the Social Welfare there to help you up on your feet after you've already been working?

Fair play man

fook that little scamming scum bucket, thinking the state can hand everything to him.

i hate pricks like that..

if the dunce has left school early he can at least get a fooking job not sponge off our taxes.

you should have took his name & reported him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Cheek of the little bastid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I blame the blacks. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Varkov wrote: »
    I blame the blacks. :(

Ehhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

Ah you're mean you should of signed it!!

/awaits backlash!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

buckieburd wrote: »
    Ah you're mean you should of signed it!!

/awaits backlash!!

i'll fecking backlash you, the next time i see you.

he is a scab living off mine and your taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

Iago wrote: »
    there's no shortage of work available in this country. There's a chronic shortage of people who are willing to do whatever job they have to until they get what they're looking for though.
    ya p you are right thare is work that paple do not whant to do

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

irishbird wrote: »
    i'll fecking backlash you, the next time i see you.

he is a scab living off mine and your taxes

I'd rather he is spending my taxes on JP Blues and Alco-pops than some sweaty politician spending it on a manicure...

buckieburd wrote: »
    I'd rather he is spending my taxes on JP Blues and Alco-pops than some sweaty politician spending it on a manicure...

Ah, but he'll buy his Johnny Blue's, the fat cats will buy their manicures, and you'll just pay more taxes. ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Oh puh-lease. He's one of those people who's looking for easy drug money.

My father is a drug dealer, and I find that offensive.

Advertisement