Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Ord Maths and Physics to Higher

Options
  • 11-09-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm repeating this year and i want to do Higher Maths and Physics after doing Ordinary last year I got honors in both but I was unable to concentrate on them as I had to do 2 subjects in my own time, I was wondering if its possible to make the jump and where to start especially for the Maths how do i go about making sure I do well, i know for a fact i'm capable. Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ordinary to Higher Maths is a HUGE jump. You'd want to be really good and be willing to work extremely hard to pull that off. I would be impressed if you pull it off.
    Best thing to do is immediately dive into the Algebra section of the course - it's the most important section and crops up in other areas. It's vital to practice doing exam questions, so get yourself some exam papers.
    You should know that there are whole questions on topics not covered in Ordinary Level. For example, Integration is not done at OL but forms an entire question on HL Paper I. Vectors is not an option question (like on the OL course) but a regular question on Paper II.
    Be familiar with the layout of the paper, know which questions appear on which paper.

I don't know much about OL Physics only that the formulas are given on the exam paper. Well, as you probably know, that doesn't happen at HL so make sure you know all the formulas off by heart.
    There's another current thread in this forum where someone asked if there was a list of all physics definitions. Another poster (I think it was Cokehead Mother) provided a link.
    It would be worth looking at that list and maybe printing it off.

LC Maths and Physics are both tough and challenging but overall rewarding courses. Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Fair play on making the decision to repeat. Tis a tough one I know.
    To answer your question it is 100% possible to take up the two subjects at higher level in a year.

The jump from ordinary level physics to higher level physics shouldnt pose too much of a problem. I think the only difference is that you must learn off all the formula and know the chapters in more detail. You also have the option of doing a question on particle physics or applied electricity. Do the particle physics one.

Higher level maths however is a LOT harder than ordinary level maths. Buy Oliver Murphys book "Discovering Maths", read through the theory, UNDERSTAND IT, do every second question except for the revision exercises where you should try to do all of them. Then print out the marking schemes and do every exam paper you can get your hands on.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

Advertisement