Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MIDI problems in Cubase

Options
  • 11-09-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I've recently been attempting to branch out from creating music solely in Reason, I have a few hardware synths and have figured out how to control them from cubase via MIDI. But there are 2 main problems I have encountered. First problem is I can't seem to be able to apply any effects to the MIDI track other than the effects that come with Cubase. Specifically I want to use a program called glitch, but I only seem to be able to apply the program as a master effect on all channels. It just doesn't come up on the list of effects in the sends part of the track.
    The second and more frustrating problem is that when i have a MIDI track in cubase playing notes on one of my synths, as soon as i attempt to change any of the parameters on the synth the patch settings seem to freeze. Even the volume knob on the synth doesn't work. This is the case with both synths that I have been using, a Roland JP8000 and a Novation K Station. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

jiltloop wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I've recently been attempting to branch out from creating music solely in Reason, I have a few hardware synths and have figured out how to control them from cubase via MIDI. But there are 2 main problems I have encountered. First problem is I can't seem to be able to apply any effects to the MIDI track other than the effects that come with Cubase. Specifically I want to use a program called glitch, but I only seem to be able to apply the program as a master effect on all channels. It just doesn't come up on the list of effects in the sends part of the track.
    The second and more frustrating problem is that when i have a MIDI track in cubase playing notes on one of my synths, as soon as i attempt to change any of the parameters on the synth the patch settings seem to freeze. Even the volume knob on the synth doesn't work. This is the case with both synths that I have been using, a Roland JP8000 and a Novation K Station. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

That sounds like a Midi feedback loop of some kind, where your midi in is receiving your midi out.

Have you tried using midi out from the computer only? Not midi in, does it still happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Hmm you may be onto something there actually. Yeah I do have MIDI cables both going in and out of my soundcard and i probably have them set up wrong somewhere, never knew there was such a thing as MIDI feedback but it makes sense. Ok I think that is problem B solved cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

What version of Cubase are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

First problem is I can't seem to be able to apply any effects to the MIDI track other than the effects that come with Cubase. Specifically I want to use a program called glitch, but I only seem to be able to apply the program as a master effect on all channels. It just doesn't come up on the list of effects in the sends part of the track.

cubase uses 2 tracks per vst instrument - a midi track and an instrument audio channel.

midi tracks do not generate sound and only accept midi effects. to use vst fx (such as glitch) you need to apply them to the instrument audio channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

to apply cubase audio effects onto a reason channel, route the output of the audio channel into the hardware interface (at the top), and activate the corresponding channel in reason from the devices menu in cubase, then slap your effects in as an insert or send to an effects channel on the corresponding channel in the reason mixer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

That sounds like a Midi feedback loop of some kind

pauls on the ball!

don't disconnect the cables, you want to connect midi out of synth to midi in on interface, and midi out of interface to midi in of synth.

However to avoid the problem your getting you need to find a setting on your synth to set "local off". Then on the track in cubase set midi in to the midi in of the interace, and midi out to the midi out of the interface. this means that the info from your playing/knob turning doesnt go directly to the synth, it just goes out the midi out to the computer, then back to the synth from the midi out on the interface.

This means that your keyboard playing and knob turning will be recorded when you hit record, but the synth won't be getting the same info from 2 directions and locking up. all synths/keyboards should be set to "local off" when being used with a DAW or sequencer.

about the effect, as above make sure your not trying to add the effect to midi track. you should have a midi track controlling the notes the synth plays, but you should also have an audio track which the audio outputs of the synth are connected to. most synths are stere out so you'll need a stereo track or two tracks. You should be able to add glitch to these tracks. You don't want to add it as a send though. It should be an insert. If you want it as a send effect (like you want to hear the original plus the effected version) you have to set up an fx track (make new track...), put the glitch plugin on it, name it "glitch" or whatever, and then it will appear when you click the sends box.

hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

All great help lads cheers! That's alot of problems cleared up for me. Now i'm gonna go play with my toys instead of scratching my head.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

ogy wrote: »
    pauls on the ball!

!

That's my address, I live here ...:o

Advertisement